Optimize image 18/100 after smush pro

Greetings,

I'd like to start off by saying, I think your plugins thus far are great. That being said, when i installed your Humminbird app to compare against GTMetrix data, seem to be the same results. All of my images have been optimized by smush and it still is giving me a score of 18/100. Any thoughts on how i can fix this?

• James Morris

Hello Derek,

I hope you are well today.

Taking a look at your GTmetrix results, I'm seeing some areas that should be optimized given that you have installed Smush Pro and Hummingbird.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your configuration and see if there are some setting changes we can make to improve your site's performance.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Derek,

Taking a look at your Smush and Hummingbird settings, I'm seeing a few settings you can enable that will make a significant improvement in the performance of your site.

First, in Smush, there are 3 options you may want to enable.
    • Include my original full-size images
    * Make a copy of my original images (should be enabled if Include my original full-size images is enabled for backup purposes)
    • Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy)

See screenshot: https://goo.gl/zv409V

These settings should significantly improve the image performance on your site.

Next, with Hummingbird, there are two main settings that really help with improving the speed of your site that need enabled.

• Gzip compression https://goo.gl/IGoFZ2
    • Browser caching https://goo.gl/zq9Ta6

If you do the above, you should see a marked improvement in your scores. However, please keep in mind that it's nearly impossible to achieve a perfect score. Please see the following. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/100-score-google-pagespeed-insights-not-happening/

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Derek

Ok.... So it's been a few interesting days. I had to start over on my third build out of a website as there were some people before me that were really clueless. Now, that being said. I've started a whole new site, on Flywheel hosting(new host, same company) Everything is very slow and I can't get any of the plugins like Hummingbird to kick in. Same with Gzip. What I was doing was going over your instructions and implementing them, but everything fails. I was wondering if I could get you to point me in the right direction again. I'd sure appreciate it. Thank again in advance!

• Derek

I granted you access. There may be a password required to get in to the admin portion. [Removed by staff. Please note: You should never share usernames and passwords your support ticket replies. Always send this information privately.]

I have a lot of slow errors which are bogging down my site. A few are from the WPMU plugins The number at the end is the amount of errors. Any ideas? Thanks again
    /wp-content/plugins/woocommerce: 17
    /wp-content/plugins/porto-shortcodes: 17
    /wp-content/plugins/js_composer: 16
    /wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo: 15
    /wp-content/plugins/wp-hummingbird: 10
    /wp-content/plugins/popover: 9
    /wp-content/plugins/wpmudev-updates: 4
    /wp-content/plugins/wp-smush-pro: 1

• Derek

Also, I know this may be above and beyond your duty, and I'd be willing to compensate you for this. I have major updates I'm afraid to do since I updated Wordpress in fear it will break my site. Areyou able to do this for me? Have a recommendation on the best practice for this so i don't break my site and have to roll back or delete my add on folder? I'd really appreciate any guidance. Thank you so much

• James Morris

Hello Derek,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

When I tried to access your site via Support Staff Login, I got the following error:

This is an invalid access token. Please ask the user to grant access.

Would you please revoke, then re-grant access so I can take a look at things a little deeper for you.

RE:

I have major updates I'm afraid to do since I updated Wordpress in fear it will break my site. Areyou able to do this for me?

I'm afraid it goes against policy for me to do such updates because of the liability issues.

However, I can give you some good general guidelines to help you through the process.

First, and MOST importantly, make sure you have a full backup of all your files and database before updating. We recommend using a plugin like Snapshot Pro to keep regular backups, but you can also use your hosting control panel to make a manual full backup of your files into a .zip archive as well as make a full backup of your database. If something goes wrong, you will be VERY glad you have this.

Second, the vast majority of the time, you can just go to the updates page, select all and update away. However, I've run into several situations where people are running either a lot of plugins, a lot of custom code, or they're running poorly coded plugins/theme that conflict and make things go a bit screwy.

I've found it best practice to use the paranoid approach for the first few months of a maintenance routine. I use a plugin like WP Maintenance Mode to close the site to public eyes, during off-peak hours. Then, I update the plugins and themes, one at a time, and perform thorough testing in between each update.

This is the most time consuming way of doing things, but if something goes wrong, it's also the easiest way to identify what caused the problem.

Usually, within a few months of doing this method, you can identify any problems that exist and resolve them. Then, you can usually go back to the simpler routine of:

* Backup
    * Close the site temporarily
    * Update Core
    * Bulk update plugins
    * Bulk update themes
    * Do a test of site
    * Re-open the site.

Most maintenance schedules take less than 30 minutes a month, provided you're not dealing with a very large site or a site with many plugins.

I hope this clarifies a bit. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Derek,

OK, I've taken a look at your site and I've found a number of issues that are contributing to why your site is so slow.

The Dashboard (WP Admin) is actually quite fast, which is surprising given you have 48 plugins activated. That's a pretty high number. If possible, you may want to remove some of these if they are not absolutely essential to your site. The more plugins you have, the slower your site is going to be. This is due to the nature of plugins enqueing their own JavaScript and CSS files as well all the extra database calls.

Another matter of concern is the number of plugins that needs updated (19). As discussed previously, you may want to make a backup and get this updated as there are significant security and stability concerns of running old plugins.

See Screenshot: https://goo.gl/s26hJY

Next, I've run your site through Pingdom Tools and GTMetrix. Here are the results:

https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/eKqIH/http://xccentplay.com/
    https://gtmetrix.com/reports/xccentplay.com/d7P3jqjq

After looking over that, it seems you are using large images on your site, but are resizing them in the HTML to be smaller. See screenshot: https://goo.gl/1e8HHb

Since WordPress gives you the ability to select which thumbnail size you want to use when adding images to a post or slider via the Media Library, you can make significant improvements in performance by selecting a smaller image thumbnail size rather than using these large images.

I checked your Smush Pro configuration to ensure that it's setup correctly and it is for the most part, except you're not smushing all your thumbnail sizes. See screenshot: https://goo.gl/JynLfv

If you enable these additional sizes this will help you improve page load speeds a good bit. You'll need to run another Bulk Smush after you enable these sizes though. Screenshot: https://goo.gl/lgErhO

Next, when I check Google DevTools JS Debug Console (Ctrl+Shift+i) when loading your homepage, I'm seeing that you have not updated your Google Tag manager with the correct domain. See screenshot: https://goo.gl/Q4RmYQ

This may seem like a minor issue, but anytime you make a remote API call to a third-party service and there is an error, it adds load time (latency) to your page. Once you update this, it should help a little as well.

Next, I see you are running PHP 5.6.30 on your server. While this is still supported and is a good version to go with, you will gain a significant amount of speed by upgrading to PHP 7.x if possible. Now, this is not a minor update and should be tested extensively on a sandbox site. But, if all your plugins will work with this version, it is a much, much faster version of PHP.

Finally, on your site you may find significant performance improvement by using a plugin like WP Fastest Cache. WPFC is compatible with Hummingbird and generates a static version of every page. This is wonderful because it reduces the amount of database queries that have to be performed. With the high number of plugins you are running, this is important because you have a lot of tables to search through. The less queries you have to run, the fast your site will be.

Your situation is very much a case of a snowball effect. There's no 1 thing causing your speed problems. It's a lot of little things that have piled up on you.

My recommendation is to test the changes I've suggested above out on a sandbox site. Make sure you're comfortable with the process and have confirmed that it's going to work in your situation. Then, once you have your sandbox site optimized using the above steps, roll this out to your production site (after making a backup, of course).

I hope this information has been helpful. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Derek

First of all I want to thank you for the detailed response of your support. It's amazing how well you guys work on answering things and giving such precise and timely responses. I'll try and answer some of what you covered to the best of my abilities. Again, I am not a web designer, I am a digital marketer who got thrown into web design because no one here was able to do it. So... here I go.

As far as 48 plugins, that is on my list of things to clean up today. I needed to figure out what was part of the core and what could go, seems a lot can go.

As far as updating plugins, I am deathly afraid of doing this as I did it once before and the site broke and I spent two days trying to get everything working again by renaming the wp-plugins folder and then adding plugins one by one. If you know of anyone I could pay to do this, I have a current backup of the site as of this morning so I wouldn't be at a loss if I had to just roll that back. I'd be happy for a referral.

I'm in the process now of fixing all of the images you mentioned. I checked all of the boxes and I am bulk smushing now.

As far as the google tag manager, that tag corresponds to my xccentplay.com tag which is what the domain is. I don't know if you saw, but we had a conflict of name when it was play4allplaygrounds.com so we went back to our original name xccentplay.com and that tag matches.

Next, the php version, would that be handled by our webhost? I can speak to them about making that change.

I added WP Fastest Cache and set that up, so once I'm done smushing the images i will run a test again and see the results.

I still have a lot to figure out, I thank you so much for your support and your plugins.

• James Morris

Hello Derek,

If you know of anyone I could pay to do this, I have a current backup of the site as of this morning so I wouldn't be at a loss if I had to just roll that back. I'd be happy for a referral.

Staff cannot contract out for this kind of thing, but we do have the Jobs & Pros board where other fellow members of the community can place jobs and bid on work for each other. Perhaps this would be the best place to post your job as there are many savvy developers in our community.

Please note: None of the professionals on the Jobs & Pros board are affiliated with WPMU DEV.

Next, the php version, would that be handled by our webhost? I can speak to them about making that change.

Yes, your web host would handle this for you. Depending on hosts, you may be able to update this yourself. You may want to search their FAQs to see if this is possible. Otherwise, contact them and I'm sure they'll get you set right up.

BTW, my metrix scores are only getting worse. I've done everything to fix them and it just keeps getting worse.

Once you get the update issues sorted out (to eliminate issues with the software you are using) please run your tests again. If the scores are still really low, please let us know and I'll be more than happy to look into this issue further for you.

Please note: If you still need help, please re-enable Support Staff Login so I will be able to take a deeper look.

Best regards,

James Morris