Optimum way for User Account Management

For a school website, I need to setup accounts for our teachers. But for our approximately 350 children and for each parent also. This does give some headache as some parents do have several children...

So I installed Membership plugin and BuddyPress also.

I also created the following groups:
Group0 for those not yet in school, but scheduled for next year.
Group1 for those who are 4 at October 14th
Somewhere in july-august all children will move to the next Group. They will then get new teacher and some other settings.
Group2, Group3, Group4, Group5, Group6, Group7, Group8 (last group)
And Group9 (left school = exit login credentials),

Can we accomplish this in batch?
Like:
Select all accounts in group8 move to group9.
Select all accounts in group7 move to group8.
Select all accounts in group6 move to group7.
Select all accounts in group5 move to group6.
Select all accounts in group4 move to group5.
Select all accounts in group3 move to group4.
Select all accounts in group2 move to group3.
Select all accounts in group1 move to group2.

This would save lots of time. But what about parents? How would they follow their children?

All feedback is welcome!

• PC

Hey there Wouter,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

While I am not 100% convinced that this is gonna be the right setup as there are more changes of error. I think it should flow like this :

Can we accomplish this in batch?

You should create Drip membership here.

Create different levels.
    Create different subscription plans and add levels to subscription plans

Group1 (x days - Serial)
    Group2 (x days - serial)

That ways a user if added to group1, will be moved to group2 after x days and so on.

You might need to create different subscription levels as you have students starting at different groups.

But what about parents? How would they follow their children?

That is gonna be tricky. What about allowing the parents to access all the levels ? May be add a follow functionality to BuddyPress where Parents can follow their children and then keep a track of their activities ?

Cheers, PC

• Wouter Jan Kok

@PC
    Thanks for this reply. Although it might work in general terms. As a matter of fact I choose to try this setup, as it is the best known solution, yet. I choose not to use the serial membership due too lack of flexible end date selection.

It would be nice, when we are able to force this 'move' by hand. So it becomes a conscious act, so all parties are aware of the changes. We kind of hate it when there are unknown changes. It will seriously undermine the trust people have in this wordpress system.

The best solution would be some interface - form - where we can select the group, select all people or selection of that group. Assign the new target group. Move.

Account management without the sql code! Foolproof so anyone can work with this system.

Although there is some 2 week margin, each year will be different. So the exact date of move is different each year.

• PC

Hey there Wouter,

The best solution would be some interface - form - where we can select the group, select all people or selection of that group. Assign the new target group. Move.

Account management without the sql code! Foolproof so anyone can work with this system.

Manual modification is possible. You can view Membership >> All members >> Select members and then using Bulk actions you can move them to any level you want.'

Did you try that ?

Cheers, PC

• PC

Hey there Wouter,

Manual modification is possible. You can view Membership >> All members >> Select members and then using Bulk actions you can move them to any level you want.'

Did you try that ?

Cheers, PC

• Wouter Jan Kok

@PC and others!
    The most obvious of all solutions.

Darn that is hard to explain. I looked at it, work with it and I failed to recognize it ...it is called willfully blind? Anyway I sure feel <del>stupid</del> special!

Yesterday, I started writing down basic functional requirements/ specs for this User Management Plugin I envisioned and collecting some code. Even doing some basic interface design already.

Even worse, I have had this before.

• PC

Hey there,

Sorry to for the delay as I had to be away from work for a few days due to some family emergency and could not get back to this any sooner.

Sometimes it happens as the things are in front of us and we just do not see them, its not being wilfuly blind but it certainly is getting confused due to a lot of options :smiley:

Best of all, I always fail to remember how to modify the media thumbnail settings and have to google it everytime I have to do it :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Cheers PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.