Ordered, Unordered Lists Missing

Theme is missing any styling for bulleted and numbered lists. Is it possible to update this theme or advise on what I need to edit or add to include these?

• Clive
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Pranaya.

In digging into the theme css it does define these 'style' aspects they are just not 'appearing'. I'll have a think about a child theme I was confused as all the style sheets are in a sub directory and wasn't sure how to import or which to import for a child theme.

• Clive

Is anyone else having problems with this theme or is it just me?

I've created a child theme BUT most of the css I try to give the above 'basic' features seems to be overridden from elsewhere.

Can anyone advise?

• Clive

Having tried for a few days to put in basic styling without success. I..e follow instructions to make a child theme and start entering my own css. Even basic things don't change.

So, what's the problem?

I should point out that I've at least 7 years experience of changing things in wordpress. I've taken other themes and changed them quite substantially without significant problems. In delving into the base.css which as far as I can tell would be the one defining the main styling I'm finding it full of !important css overrides.

In other words it's been put together in such a way as to prevent css changes being made.

For example:

.post-content {
    font-size: 1.025em;
    margin: 0px !important;

Basically 'fixes' every combination of 'margin' for the main post-content - no wonder I cannot make anything change?

a) HOW DO I PUT IN BULLETED LISTS, 'BlockQuotes' and other important / basic styling features into this theme?
    b) AND OR - why is your Buddypress Coportate theme not working as stated on any of my MS sites?

Latest 2012 theme gives properly bulleted and numbered lists even properly indented, it also manages to present a vaguely acceptable 'blockquote', while WPMUDEV Corporate Buddypress doesn't manage any of these.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Clive,

I understand that you are facing issues and its indeed a long time to wait for a developer response.

I am going to drop him an email right now and will try to get him here and will also keep a track of the progress.

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Cheers, PC

• Clive

Hi Jeffi, Thanks - whatever you did it's now working. Could you explain what caused the problem?

Because of such problems I activated WP debug feature a few days ago and wondered if the following errors also related to this theme? Could you have a look at these please? The first I'm pretty sure is, the second I'm not sure.

1) Notice: add_custom_image_header is deprecated since version 3.4! Use add_theme_support( 'custom-header', $args ) instead. in /home/justbcsh/public_html/reality-hackers.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839

2) Notice: WP_Admin_Bar::add_node was called incorrectly. The menu ID should not be empty. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/justbcsh/public_html/reality-hackers.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2959

Also for this theme is there any easy way of preventing the below main menu 'bar' that holds the search bar on the left and the user logout on the right? I'd like to 'disappear' this.

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi Clive,

The issue is with the selector specificity, which reset the styling.

Thanks for spotting the notice. The first one is definitely from the theme and I'll address it in the next release. The second one doesn't appear from the theme.

And to hide the search bar and logout menu, you'll have to edit header.php. Let me know if you need instruction on this. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• Clive

Thanks Jeffri,

I've managed to find the part in the header to 'disappear' the search / logout bar below the menu.

I'm still having problems with css - for example trying to increase the width of the
    <div id="top-header">
    <div id="custom-logo">
    And the text size no matter what I do no changes make it to the front end. If you have a text header then with the huge text size coupled with a minute space my text logo of:
    Accessibility, Functionality & Testing Space
    Takes up three lines and my 'description two'

This:

#top-header #custom-logo {margin: 0px 400px 0px 0px;padding: 15px 0px 0px;float: left;width: 70%;}
    #custom-logo h1 {font-size: 1.8em;line-height: 1em;margin: 0px;padding: 0px;float: left;width: 100%;}

Doesn't work to make any changes of the width from the left. This is by trying to make changes within a child theme.

Is there anything stopping css changes from taking effect. The only changes I've got to work have been on the titles and putting a space below the main menu.

• Clive

Jeffri is the child style sheet loaded before or after the main theme's css style sheets?. I'm pretty sure it's before and so everything gets overwritten. Unless I put !Important after every code change it's a waste of time. I have to do this even when the original code isn't marked as; !Important.

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi Clive,

Did you put your CSS in child theme style.css? We actually prepare one other file which is on _inc/css/child-style.css. Please make sure you put your CSS in the other file.

One other thing you can do is to increase specificity of your CSS selector to avoid using !important. For example, instead of:

#top-header #custom-logo

You can use this selector instead:

#custom #top-header #custom-logo

#custom is id given to the Body on this theme.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• Clive

Hi Jeffri,

I read this below in the style.css:
    /*
    rename _inc/css/child-style-sample.css to child-style.css to use child theme.
    */

I renamed as stated to use the child theme and then proceeded as I would with any wp theme and entered code in the style.css sheet. So, basically it was meant to state:

rename _inc/css/child-style-sample.css to child-style.css and then put all css styling into the child-style.css to use this child theme. Don't put styling here else it won't work properly.

Which then begs the question whose idea was it to set up child theme styling in a way that makes it impossible to edit using the built in wp editor directly?

Is this what you'd expect as 'functionality' never mind of the quality of 'instructions' of a theme labelled 'corporate? This is what gets me more than anything.

I've even used decent 'free' themes that have a .css styling changes page built into the theme options page so you can change the styling very easily directly within the theme admin area.

This forum thread has been open now for about SIX WEEKS with me waiting for someone to give me a heads up on this.Why has it taken this long? I'm NOT Impressed

So, can you change this please so that you can edit these files using the wp editor OR in the admin theme options as I don't want to be wasting yet more of my valuable time messing around with ftp or cpanel uploads?

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi Clive,

I'm sorry about the issue you are having and understand your frustation.

It needs to note that many of our themes are designed to use child-style.css or other CSS file. That CSS file is loaded last, so placing your custom CSS there should solve your issue.

There is a good reason I think when the initial developer decide to use separate CSS file (and require you to rename the file at first), it is so that you can easily update the child theme by just copying the folder and don't need to worry of overwriting your files.

Indeed, you made a good point on how that file is not appearing in WordPress editor. Honestly speaking, I don't see this as an issue. We had a limited customization in theme options/customizer for less experience user and if the user opt for a more complete control, the CSS file is available as well. But of course, this is a good concern and I'll add this to a feature request.

In case you want to use style.css, you could just add more specificity in your CSS selector, as I have pointed above. Having #custom in the begining of all your selector should solve your issue as well. It shouldn't be too much of pain as adding !important to every rule.

Also you might be interested in this plugin as it'll allows you to pratically edit every files in wp-content folder (includes the child-style.css of course and with syntax highligher!): http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpide/

I'm sorry for the delay to get back to you. Thank you for being a great member!

Let me know if you have any question. I'll gladly help you out in any issue you had. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• Clive

Ok Thanks Jeffri,

That plugin is amazing - I'm happy with that now being able to edit the child-style.css directly.

I've copied the code to the child-style.css I'm having a play with it now.

BUT at the very least put a link to that plugin in the style css and mention it on the theme page for editing this theme.

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi again Clive,

Glad that it worked for you.

As putting a link to the plugin, unfortunately, I don't think I'm in position to do that. :slight_smile: Besides, I just recently discovered the plugin as well.

Thank you.

Jeffri

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.