Original Domain Changes

Is there any way to, or plans to make the plugin NOT have to use the original domain in order to make the videos show up in the admin area.

We run a network of sites for small and local business owners and getting them used to login at one place is difficult enough but having to direct them to two places just makes things more difficult.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello klevur,

I am sorry, but am afraid I caught your question right.

Here is how it works, just see if we got this right. The network admin installs the plugin, and activates it. Under Network Admin > Settings > WPMU Dev Videos you enter the main domain (original domain), choose what videos you want to show up and where you want them to be shown and hit save.

Every sub-site will have access to all the videos once you do that. And no configuration is required from them. Just network activate the whole thing.

Isn't this how it is for you? Please Let me know!

Thanks!

• klevur

Yes that is how it works, BUT here is the issue (and after further analysis) it still works fine all in all.

When I login to access my Wordpress multisite I login using the path and subfolder but when a customer accesses their site they go via the mapped domain. Now to take advantage of the Videos you have to enable the original domain which means that when the customer accessing their own admin dashboard it converts from the mapped domain to the multi site path and subfolder. To the customer, they think they are somewhere different than their own site now comes the support ticket asking why.

Next issue is if there are any Google Maps modules or that kind of thing, the customer gets that annoying popup "You need a new API key" - now comes the support ticket asking why.

While it is workable the way it is, it would be better if they worked no matter the domain status. In keeping with the earlier blog post at WPMU about making Wordpress more user friendly this is just one simple way. Of course I realize the fix may not be that simple.

• klevur

After looking at this a bit more I discovered that this is a rather large issue for those of us that use the videos in a multi site environment AND domain mapping for individuals that manage their sites.

If you have to leave the "original domain" for the admin area of a mapped domain an issue occurs when you try to insert images or anything else from the media library into a blog post for instance. After logging into the admin area via the mapped domain and being rerouted to the multi sites original domain, when you load an image into a post it takes on the path of the original domain and NOT the mapped domain. This causes the image to not appear on the front end view via the mapped domain. You have to go back and manually edit the path in the admin area to match the mapped domain to get the image to appear. Your basic user will never figure this out.

So.......this means I have two options, either don't allow any sort of media in blog posts or pages (unrealistic) or don't use the WPMU Videos and have to go buy them somewhere else. (hate that idea)

I need some help on this one as we just promoted the heck out of the videos to our users and now they are not available to be viewed in their dashboard.

• Barry

To the customer, they think they are somewhere different than their own site now comes the support ticket asking why.

Don't they know that they've mapped their domain? Or is this something you are doing for them? Surely they know what site / domain they signed up on, and then went through the steps to point their own domain at their site - so they know they are on the original domain? No?

Next issue is if there are any Google Maps modules or that kind of thing, the customer gets that annoying popup "You need a new API key" - now comes the support ticket asking why.

What plugin is this with? Anything using API v3 of Google Maps should no longer have that restriction? Last time I checked anyway :slight_smile:

• klevur

Barry,

Thanks and no unfortunately, as I am sure you are aware, anything can trigger silly support tickets. I agree on the Google Maps things, but surprise, surprise not everyone has updated their stuff to that. That was really just more of a, for instance, than anything.

Really that is not even the issue. After changing the mapping to original though it immediately pointed out what the real issue is. I am forced to choose between editing info in the site or being able to display the videos.

I set it to original domain and had a client go in to make an update to one of their blog posts. They made the update and published, which changed the path to the image from the mapped domain to the original one. This caused the image to no longer appear on the front end of the site. Then came that support ticket.

So the only way to fix was manually change the path for the image to the mapped domain, which is not a fix or go back to using the mapped domain and not having the videos show up, which again is not a fix.

• aecnu

Greetings klevur,

It is my opinion that WPMU Dev made the policy of the API in an effort to keep the bandwidth from being used for those whom were not authorized and that as time went on the usage would keep expanding exponentially without the API by those whom are once again no longer authorized to use them - at least this was/is my opinion since I became a member a year or so ago.

At the time rather then even consult with WPMU Dev about the videos and the API I just simply copied them and put them on my own resources.

This debate about the API and the domains when doing a little research has been going on for longer then I have been a member.

With that said at the same time I think that WPMU Dev gives a generous supply of up to 20 Domains being covered by the API allowance and they do not throw in the stipulation into their license of "Domains that you own" like almost every license grantor does that I am aware of.

I am not criticizing anyone in this post just trying to point out the pro and cons from both sides of the fence having been there and being there :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• klevur

I fail to see why this ticket is being closed. This is an issue that renders the Video manuals useless if you use domain mapping with the site. I am using your domain mapping plugin along with your Video manuals and they cannot be used in conjunction.

I never really received an answer to the problem. I am forced to choose between domain mapping and the Video manuals.

As I stated this issue specifically arises when both the domain mapping plugin and video user manuals plugin are active and you set the path as instructed. If you do that and make any edits to the site the images do not show up as the path is wrong.

This makes the alternative to use either domain mapping or video manuals and that just doesn't work.

• klevur

Joe, this is all domains. I am happy to send you privately access to the site to trouble the problem but the problem lies within the plugins working together.

As I stated above when you activate both plugins and change the domain mapping setting to original everything seems to work fine until you edit a post and insert and image. The image then comes back blank because the domain is mapped and the path to the image now is the original one.

Let me know how I can help.

• aecnu

Greetings klevur,

Thank you for your very kind response (no sarcasm)

My sincere apology after considering your response, it appears that I am working a total different perspective of what is the issue (just the videos) then you are trying to explain in your last post and in this post, actually caught me by surprise my inaccurate perspective:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/original-domain-changes#post-201379

I see where the images would be of a great significance and agree completely with you concerning this matter, and admit I am slightly embarrassed about missing this part.

Please bare with me a moment, here it is Easter weekend (I know bizarre since last weekend it was in the US and many other places) in which one of my goals is to re-do my test environments in which I have already started the process.

Therefore, since it is my job to resolve member issues regardless of the source as long as it is legal, would you please consider de-activating Domain Mapping on your site and testing this exact issue using this WordPress MU Domain Mapping and let me know if you still experience the issue?

It is greatly appreciated. If not I will get right on it being the first thing to be done in my new test bed and give you a full report :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• redhillcreative

Hi @klevur

I have a similar issue, and here is how I am thinking of fixing it.

First, setup a /support site within your multi-site network. this will be for all of your "customers"

Then add the support videos one by one via the shortcode, onto pages of the /support site

Then, automatically add "admins" to the /support site. ( Here is what Ive been reading on this, but will need to tweak http://www.thinkinginwordpress.com/2010/06/automatically-adding-users-to-all-blog-on-your-wpmuwp-multisite-blog-network/ )

Not sure if this will work for you, but at least this is what I have been thinking for my network.

What do you think?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.