"Orphan" registrations in Membership 2 Pro (no membership)

Hi again guys,

So, I have a problem with the workflow in Membership 2 Pro. This is what should happen:

1. When a new user clicks "Register", it should show the list of memberships (that, in theory, is what the settings page allows you to configure).

2. They should then click the "Sign up" button on one of the memberships.

3. This should take them to the Registration page to create a WP/BP account.

4. If a paid membership was selected, this should then take them to the payment screen.

Now, if you go directly to the register page, you do indeed see the memberships, with the correct message asking people to choose a membership and click SIGNUP.

But the small Register link in the widget/login screen has the /?step=register after the URL which takes you straight to the WP/BP registration page.

The problem with this, as I know from experience, is that many people will think that that's it and not see the membership list on the next page (I know it's hard to believe but it happens!) They then either go back to what they were trying to access (in this case, for example, public forums which require at least free membership) or leave completely to come back later.

They now have an "orphan" account with no membership. You will no doubt say use the "default membership" type to catch these people, but that would create two classes of free membership, which is an admin headache. Not the biggest, admittedly, but the fact is it shouldn't work like that.

The signup page should list and sell the benefits of joining the site - not just expect people to fill in the registration form! And while we're at it, we can sell them on upgrading to a paid membership (having, of course PRE-sold them elsewhere in the site and/or email, no hard sell, please!)

Any thoughts on why the message highlighted in the screenshot does not actually work in practice on the site?

Thanks!
Arthur

• Michael Bissett

Hey Arthur, Michael here!

Let's touch on this point here:

If you go directly to the register page, you do indeed see the memberships, with the correct message asking people to choose a membership and click SIGNUP.

But the small Register link in the widget/login screen has the /?step=register after the URL which takes you straight to the WP/BP registration page.

In your case, we can do something a bit different (seeing as the default link's designed to only register a user account)...

First, create a Text widget, and insert this into it:

[ms-membership-login register="no"]

If shortcodes aren't already executed in Text widgets, I've attached a little mu-plugin that will do the trick, you'll want to upload the .php file inside the attached .zip to:

/wp-content/mu-plugins (create the folder if it doesn't already exist)

Then, a link to your site's registration page can inserted below that shortcode inserted earlier:

<a href="link-to-register-page">Register</a>

That'll do the trick. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Arthur

Hi Michael!

I see what you've done there. That's an almost perfect work around. Except that the widget now shows "Please log in to access this page." And that message is highlighted in red when I click through (even though clearly the page is unprotected). Is there any way of removing that message?

Really, if I'm using the Membership 2 Pro widget, the register link should NOT be a WP/BP account link, by definition - for that I would use a regular login widget. I suggest that the plugin be modified to take it to the membership list page as per the descriptions on the settings page...

Incidentally, your plugin did not work/install, but having needed shortcodes to work in widgets on another site I had a solution (Shortcode Widget - posted here...it's a little out of date but since it's simple it still works).

Thanks for the workaround - I'd be grateful for help in perfecting it - or even better, making the M2P widget work!

Cheers,
    Arthur

• Michael Bissett

Hey @aahkendall,

Odd that the helper plugin didn't work, it was working over on my test install. Glad to hear you got that sorted, though. :slight_smile:

In regards to removing that message, you can lay out the shortcode like this instead:

[ms-membership-login register="no" show_note="no"]

Really, if I'm using the Membership 2 Pro widget, the register link should NOT be a WP/BP account link, by definition - for that I would use a regular login widget. I suggest that the plugin be modified to take it to the membership list page as per the descriptions on the settings page...

Having some sort of option to adjust that would be handy for a future release, I'll bring that up to our developers here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey Arthur,

To follow up with you here, there's actually a way to do this with the default login form widget that Membership 2 Pro provides, it'd require the insertion of this code (as either a mu-plugin, or inside of a child theme's functions.php, if desired only in a specific theme):

add_filter( 'register', function( $link ) {
        $link = sprintf(
            '<a href="%1$s">%2$s</a>',
            MS_Controller_Frontend::get_registration_url(),
            __( 'Register', 'membership2' )
        );

return $link;
    }, 99, 1 );

With that, the "Register" link in the login widget would direct users to the page where you memberships are listed, they'd be able to sign up from there. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.