Our wordpress was installed through the bluehost control panel, is that a problem?

We are developing a website based on multisite wordpress and we installed wordpress from the bluehost control panel by clicking on the wordpress icon and following the instructions. I think it's what they refer to as a 1-click installation using simplescripts.

We're now planning to add buddypress but we're a bit worried by this in the buddypress codex "WordPress should be installed manually i.e. via FTP, cpanel, etc. and NOT via webhost scripts (fantastico, softalicious, etc.)which bring about numerous issues when BuddyPress is activated." Should we go ahead with installing the buddypress plugin or is it likely to cause probems?

Thanks for your help.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Greetings @ChasseyMgtGroup

I hope you are well today. Thank you for asking the question.

Unfortunately, I will suggest you not to install from fantastico or other 1-click installation. You’d be better off installing it manually which may take you a few minutes longer to install. Just upload the WP files into the server, and install from there.

How to install manually: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
    and http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/wordpress-installation.htm

Also, as you already saw that in BuddyPress documentation they have already notified so you really need to avoid 1-click installation packages.
    http://codex.buddypress.org/user/before-installing/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

You should not use fantastico or 1-click installer to install wordpress. It may occur some major issues such as -

WordPress Security Risks
    Exporting and importing content with WordPress's built in export tools
    Updated versions of WordPress or any script are not immediately released on Fantastico
    Fantastico bypasses almost all settings used for installing
    Sometimes it has issues while you want to upgrade.

In addition, if you want to install manually, download wordpress from http://wordpress.org/latest.zip

Then you can upload this through ftp. You can use several ftp client such as - filezilla, coreftp, fireftp (a firefox add-on) etc.

How to use filezilla: http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/ftp/filezilla.htm

Or, you can upload through your file manager and extract the zip file there. Check screenshots.

If you upload the files in root of your website, then you can access your installation from http://www.yoursitename.com.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Let me explain some more details if you need.

Fantastico installs an outdated version of Wordpress. It's not a good start with outdated one.

Suppose first created database is wpdb1 and the next one is wpdb2 and so on. Malicious hackers know this is how they're created and it gives them more ammo.

Created a file named fantversion.php, which is common for all auto installers. This is a security risk if crackers know how to break into it.

The auto created database name and the database username is same.

You are not given option to change table prefix. It uses default prefix - "wp_". Also, you don't have any option to choose any custom settings.

Also, during upgrade it breaks dashboard sometime.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Ash

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@jolanda_jansen:

I wouldn't suggest you do anything other than start with a fresh install of WordPress that you've uploaded manually.

I've made a really good amount of money from clients who were on the one-click install, who tried to move away from it by "playing" in their database, and then they needed someone to undo everything they'd done, install WordPress the "right" way for them and then recover as much of their data as could be recovered.

I see that @Ashok has posted a solution, and I'd like to tell you what I do when clients come to me before they try to do it themselves.

I export all the tables of their database into a zip file.

On the Dashboard in go to Tools > Export and save the .xml file.

It's a little overkill, but I also FTP the entire wp-content folder onto my hard drive.

I do a screenshot of all their plugins, so I don't miss any when I'm adding them back.

I use the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin, so I don't have to redo those: http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-importer-exporter

Then I delete all the one-click installed files and delete the database.

I create a new database and re-install the WordPress files through FTP.

Once I get WordPress re-installed and set up my admin account, I first add all the previous plugins, because some plugins make tables in your database and some need to be activated before you can re-import the .xml file.

Once the plugins are activated, I import the .xml file and then I import the file created by the import/export widget plugin.

Doing this, you shouldn't need to do anything with the database tables you exported or the wp-content folder you FTPed to your hard drive.

However, if something's missing, then you'll have the database tables and everything that was in the original wp-content file to fill in any "gaps."

Please let me know if I can help with this process. I'm happy to help.

• jolanda_jansen
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Faydra

Thanks, i seem unable to see the solution posted.

regarding your tips: Thanks!! I would have taken tose steps but the export plugins tip was new to me!!

i myself however prefer the DB method, i would make a snapshot before to revert if needed. I prefer this because its a media heavy site and xml imports in many cases do not import the images correctly. Especially from a local server eg loopback connection.

Its a multisite install so to find the right folders with images, save it localy, upload and hopefully to the right location would take much more time then finding the tables and adjusting.

In installatron docs i can find anything about a different db structure

I cant see what tables are different then a manual install at this time.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

@jolanda_jansen: It's not about altering a single entry.

I am not sure, if it can be easily done. But I have a suggestion:

First of all, keep a backup of whole site and the database.
    Download latest wordpress from WP rep.
    Delete wp_admin and wp_includes folder via ftp.
    Extract the zip and upload only wp_admin and wp_includes folder via ftp.
    Change (alter) the database name, db username and password.
    Put the changed db name, db username and db password in wp-config.php.
    Get new auth key, salt etc from https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt
    Copy and replace the keys in wp-config.php

It should work.

Cheers
    Ash

• jolanda_jansen

Hi Ash

Thanks!!!

I was thinking to hard! These steps seem very logic and i dont need to rename the DB as i created that manually before installing (installatron remote does not do that)
    Actualy what they do is ask for ftp details and upload the files with the details the user gave in the form.

I believe what they do has less impact the fabtastico and such, but still replacing those two folders would give one a (almost) clean install.

Thanks a lot, i will do it and see if my file system error will get solved, if so ill post it on my blog or here

• jolanda_jansen

)))))))

But that was my initial problem hhaha

So... then i wont do it as it wont bring me what i need. And installtron does not really do anything strange rather then adding a line of code with a link to themselfs.

Easily removed

But why did u u suggest me that this may be the problem if u say now that it wont help??
    back to the original question...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.