Override theme options for top navigation bar CSS?

I would like to style the top navigation bar in the bp-fun theme in ways that are not covered by the theme options panel via dashboard. How can I customize the CSS and override the options that are available via theme options?

Basically, I want a white background with a thin horizontal line underneath, and I also can't seem to modify the hover background via the options.

Thanks!

• fitnessturtles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

To add some more info:

I have edited the functions.php and theme-options.php to add new function arrays and new options in the theme options panel. Now my options show up in the admin dashboard as I want them to, but when I make the selections I want, the changes don't commit to the live site - at all.

I know I must be missing a step here. Any help?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@fitnessturtles: Do you have to have theme options or could you just use the custom.css that would be the easier method. Alternatively are you making sure you have the default style on to enable custom options using the options under theme options? You may also want to check out that whatever element you are using doesn't have in some css file that is being called after your themeoptions some styling as that could impact on it. For instance look at your source code and view between head and the closing head tag and see the order of the files being called - perhaps there is one there that has css styling and is impacting on this by after you have theme options set calling it again to style.

• fitnessturtles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@tlister - No, I don't have to use the theme options. Using custom.css would be much easier.

How do I turn off the Theme Options altogether? I looked at custom.css and see that it still renders the out-of-the-box blue look, so clearly there's some switch turned on that is using the Theme Options to override that. How can I turn that off?

Thanks!

• fitnessturtles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@tlister - I'm sorry, I'm really a newbie to both WPMU and BuddyPress, and I can't find the preset styles option anywhere in the WPMU dashboard. Where can I find this option to turn off default?

Thanks for all your help. Once I know how to end calling themeoptions.php, I'll be all set working with the CSS.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

i think bp-fun did not had preset style:slight_smile:

if you want to change the navigation bg color..just got to theme appearece under
    theme option
    and find in second row -> Main Navigation CSS Settings and set to the option color dropping like this or any of your choice..

Navigation background color
    #FFF

Navigation links color

Navigation links hover color
    #4D1919

walla..you're main nav should be in white bg with dark link text.

edit
    you might want to edit some css in nav...in _inc/css/base.css starting in line 740

• fitnessturtles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have managed to override the themeoptions.php so that I can use base.css to style the main navigation bar. Theme Options isn't sufficient because we want a background image, not a background color. I commented out the call to the themeoptions.php in header.php and it worked.

However, I still cannot seem to control the Admin Bar CSS. I want to apply the same background image to this area of the site, too. Changes to adminbar.css do not reflect on live site, while changes to Theme Options do.

How do I get rid of Theme Options for the Admin Bar so that I can customize adminbar.css?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.