Oye - Some Suggestions

(I'm using the latest versions of everything on a fresh install with no other plugins.)

I've been trying to use this plugin on BuddyPress tonight and it has been nothing but trouble. I have it working *sort of*, but it's not anywhere near what I had expected.

That said....

I have some basic suggestions.

1. Add a "refresh image" button to the captcha area. I have personally seen more than one image that was impossible to read. This problem alone will cost a site users.

2. Add captcha validation - or error message. As it is, if I enter the wrong code - or no code at all - it will appear as if everything is fine. The little animation begins and (presumably) will never stop - nor will the account be registered. There is nothing to say "Oops! You didn't enter the right code" or anything like that. This is unacceptable - and again, will certainly cost a site new members at some point. At a minimum, it will cause frustration - not a good way to welcome someone to your site.

3. Make it so that it doesn't say a person is registered unless they actually are. If registration fails there will still be a notification that a person is registered when they are not. (See attached screenshot & please note that I was *not* registered when I took this)

4. Require less information, or allow people to exclude some items. The amount of info that this plugin requires from a persons Facebook account is extreme. Frankly, I would leave the site after just seeing that alone. I've used other Facebook plugins that didn't require nearly this much info. (See next suggestion)

5. Create separate plugins for Wordpress single, Multisite & BuddyPress. Why are there so many options for this plugin in a BuddyPress install that are completelly invalid? Also, why ask for so much information from a person's Facebook account if it cannot be used anyway? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

6. The "Register with Facebook" *button* doesn't look like a button at all. It looks like a header or something. I think this should look like an actual button for it to be user friendly - else it's going to confuse people. I know it threw me off at first. Again, it's about *not* costing a website new members. (See second attached screenshot)

7. I will make this my last, and most important suggestion. Please do NOT have new BuddyPress user accounts tagged with their Facebook email address! This seems like a no-brainer to me. Was I ever surprised when I registered on my site earlier - and there for all the world to see - was my email address with an "@" before it (though the "@" within and the "." within were stripped). In other words...for others to give me a mention on my BuddyPress site they would have tagged it with "@myusernamegmailcom"

Imagine having jumped all the hurdles that are currently in place to get registered (via this plugin) to find out that you've just exposed your personal email to the entire world! If nothing else would lose their membership, this would do it.

Perhaps adding a field that allows a person to create their own user name outside of the FB plugin would be in order? I quit my own site tonight just to hide my email. Seriously. People don't like to have their user names chosen for them without input anyway. If Twitter did what this plugin does with regards to user names, there would be no Twitter (as we know it) today.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I would like to make some bug reports too - but I really need to figure out what I'm seeing before I do that - and rule out cache issues (among others).

I have to say, this plugin really doesn't seem ready for primetime as far as BuddyPress is concerned. I don't know (yet) if all of these issues exist for the other WP formats. It seems very beta-ish to be honest. Maybe I expected too much, but I have to say that I'm really disappointed.

The only way to find out that this plugin is so new, and basically still in early development --> is to pay to become a member so that these forums can be read. Not a good thing.

I think this will be a great plugin one day. For now, it's just not ready for use - as is - with BP IMHO. I can't speak to the other implementations.

• Philip John

Hiya!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Many issues are down to theme or plugin conflicts and it's worth checking out this article for tips on initial debugging.

1. Add a "refresh image" button to the captcha area. I have personally seen more than one image that was impossible to read. This problem alone will cost a site users.

This is Facebook-generated and outside of our control I'm afraid.

2. Add captcha validation - or error message. As it is, if I enter the wrong code - or no code at all - it will appear as if everything is fine. The little animation begins and (presumably) will never stop - nor will the account be registered. There is nothing to say "Oops! You didn't enter the right code" or anything like that. This is unacceptable - and again, will certainly cost a site new members at some point. At a minimum, it will cause frustration - not a good way to welcome someone to your site.

Again, the CAPTCHA validation is not something we have control over and is dictated by Facebook.

3. Make it so that it doesn't say a person is registered unless they actually are. If registration fails there will still be a notification that a person is registered when they are not. (See attached screenshot & please note that I was *not* registered when I took this)

Same here I'm afraid. That appears to be Facebook indicating that you have successfully registered with Facebook as opposed to the WordPress site.

4. Require less information, or allow people to exclude some items. The amount of info that this plugin requires from a persons Facebook account is extreme. Frankly, I would leave the site after just seeing that alone. I've used other Facebook plugins that didn't require nearly this much info. (See next suggestion)

We are trying to limit the amount of access the plugin needs. However, for the amount it does it's hard not to ask for so much. The way Facebook structures permissions isn't exactly ideal as it means we end up asking for access to stuff we don't need in order to get the stuff we do need....

5. Create separate plugins for Wordpress single, Multisite & BuddyPress. Why are there so many options for this plugin in a BuddyPress install that are completelly invalid? Also, why ask for so much information from a person's Facebook account if it cannot be used anyway? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Can you clarify what options you're referring too? We like to make life as easy as possible and so providing different plugins for different types of installs would be unnecessary overhead. We do provide extensive options in Multisite environments because we've found people using the plugin in many different ways and we like to accommodate these to be sure it is the Ultimate Facebook plugin. On the permissions, again that's kind of out of our control but something we're trying to limit.

6. The "Register with Facebook" *button* doesn't look like a button at all. It looks like a header or something. I think this should look like an actual button for it to be user friendly - else it's going to confuse people. I know it threw me off at first. Again, it's about *not* costing a website new members. (See second attached screenshot)

Yep, that's a good point. I'll see if the developer can find a better way of displaying that.

7. I will make this my last, and most important suggestion. Please do NOT have new BuddyPress user accounts tagged with their Facebook email address! This seems like a no-brainer to me. Was I ever surprised when I registered on my site earlier - and there for all the world to see - was my email address with an "@" before it (though the "@" within and the "." within were stripped). In other words...for others to give me a mention on my BuddyPress site they would have tagged it with "@myusernamegmailcom"

Again, this is something that's hard to control. We need to make the process of registering with Facebook as smooth as possible. It may be possible to ask for a username as well but that would add an extra step, which is highly undesirable. Again though, an interesting point and one that I'll pass on to see what we can do.

If you'd like to start a new thread for the issues you say you're having we'll happily look into them for you. As I said at the beginning, any issues are mostly due to something specific with your setup and rarely an actual bug.

Phil

• NetPotion

Hi Phil, and thank you for responding.

As for the refresh, captcha validation and false "You have registered" statement - that's unfortunate. It really hurts the usability of this plugin & had me frustrated. I couldn't imagine being someone who knows little about websites / computers trying to register. I've used other Facebook plugins and never encountered a captcha. Is this a new thing or just due to the amount of info getting requested? Can captcha be exluded the way it is on other plugins & still allow the plugin to work?

Regarding creating separate plugins This request was based on what seems to be a large overhead of invalid options within the plugin for BuddyPress. Honestly, I'm unclear what is and isn't supposed to work with BuddyPress. The plugin page says "Works Perfectly With...(BuddyPress)" and also says "It's entirely MultiSite and BuddyPress ready too!" - but I read somewhere in this forum that this just isn't the case. Many options don't apply to BuddyPress if I understand right. That's why I mentioned having two plugins so that people are trying to debug something that will never work for BuddyPress.

Using decipherable Facebook email address as @ name This is a total deal breaker. Exposing email addresses to spammers, stalkers or anyone else who wants to see them is just not good policy for any website owner. More, it would make each persons @ name so long that it would be very hard to remember. Also, every Facebook registered account would be using a email company name in their @ name. As much as I love Gmail, I don't really want it being part of my main site identity ; )

Again, I do appreciate your response. Thank you.

• Philip John

Hiya,

I understand your frustrations. Personally, I wish CAPTCHA would crawl under a large rock and die. It does very little to alleviate spam and instead unnecessarily burdens the user experience. There isn't a way I'm aware of to prevent this I'm afraid.

BuddyPress functionality is limited at the moment purely because of the way that BP works (i.e. it hasn't yet caught up with substantial developments in the way content is structured within WordPress). However, a new version of BP will be out before Christmas which will rectify that and you'll then begin to see much tighter integration with BP.

It would actually be very difficult for a bot of any sort to decipher those as e-mail addresses. Given the scale upon which you'll see this it's unlikely that these will ever be seen by unscrupulous types as potential e-mail bait. Still, as promised I've asked the developer to take a look at this one and he definitely will :slight_smile:

Phil

• Vladislav

Hi,

As for CAPTCHA refresh option, I do agree that the fact it's missing is pretty annoying. However, the Facebook registration form is the standard Facebook registration, and, as Phil pointed out, we have very little control over it. Facebook does not offer CAPTCHA refresh on this form, because their developers believe that "... very very very few people actually click it [captcha refresh], and most just try to guess the first captcha knowing a new one is coming." (sic) which is odd, seeing as they do have CAPTCHA refresh links on Facebook itself. The best we can do is remove the CAPTCHA entirely or make it optional - which is what we do now, in the latest release (version 1.1, just released).

I do see your (perfectly valid) point about the new username format, and there were a lot of other people pointing that out. This has been also changed in the latest version.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.