Page links totally broken with WPMU NELO

The page links appear to be totally broken on this site. Many of the pages are now reading with an error 404 code and this (see attached).

I've got business pages and Local Offers now, all built with pages which are showing error messages about not being able to find.

What can I do to fix this asap, as I have QR codes pointing to these pages??

If I change themes will this affect the function of these pages? It shouldn't.. right?

• Msglobetrotter

Mason:
    Thanks for the response. I have tried the twenty eleven and twenty ten themes. Both exhibit the same broken link.
    Here is what it looks like in the Twenty Eleven Theme: The error message and the permalink.
    I can find the page on the site under dashboard. But when I try to view the page...it says it is not found.

It seems I may have built the page with a permalink that might have included "this-is-a-landing-page"...
    but then I deleted that part and had it just read besh ba gowah.

Could that be the problem and why wouldn't it save with the new permalink if I updated it.?

• Mason

It's still odd. WordPress is showing that it believe the page exists and even providing an incorrect link itself (assuming the page listing is just a default WordPress list of pages - not one custom created by yourself).

Can you try changing permalinks to 'default' and seeing if this changes anything? I'm really stumped on this one. Do you know if the pages ever worked? If it's still broken with default permalinks we may need to do some digging in the database.

Thanks!

• Msglobetrotter

Hi Mason:
    I don't want to change ALL the permalinks to default since atleast HALF of them are working.
    It's weird. I thought I had discovered the issue, since some of the permalinks had This-is-the-landing-page. Blah Blah... And I had deleted that phrase and left the permalink with just the name of the page content. The weird thing is, some worked when I added the phrase back in...and some didn't. So much for trouble shooting! Nothing seemed to be a 100% fix.

And yes... all the pages worked when I first did them. Even when I changed the permalink and took out that phrase. I checked them all and they looked the way they were supposed to.

If I can't fix this, I'll have to delete and re-do all the pages with broken links. I guess that is do-able at this point, but I'd prefer to know what is causing this problem - either the theme? or the way I initally set up the pages?? I just don't want to find myself in a similar position 6 months from now when I have even more content.
    Thanks for your help. Let me know what you suggest..

!L

• Mason

Hiya Msglobetrotter,

I understand you don't want to change all your permalinks. By switching to default we can quickly test if there's an issue in the database with the way the pages were set up. You can then switch back to your custom permalink structure with no damage to the working links.

The theme has nothing to do with the slugs created for WordPress. It doesn't touch the database at all when it comes to post/page URLs.

If the posts/pages work with the default permalinks it means something is wrong with the setup of custom permalinks. If the URLs still don't work than the issue is in the database with these specific posts. They should be deleted and recreated.

Let me know!

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.