Page loading speed and image optimisation

Hi! When I go into my hub and do a performance test, I am still getting less than 5 out of 100 for 'optimise images'. I have smushed every image on my site, including using the pro features, and also manually re-uploaded some photos which remained untouched by Smush. I believe I've checked every single image and they are all 1MB or less, in most cases, much smaller. I don't understand what I'm missing and would really like to sort this issue out. Thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Katie,

In your WordPress site Dashboard you can also check performance scan result and it will show you which image is causing issue (click Improve button):

In your case it is header image that is 5.8 MB big. If you have images that big, Google will drastically lower your score.
    Reason this image is so big is because it is photography and its PNG. You should use that as JPG which is better for pictures like that.
    Another thing is that dimensions of image are much higher than wrapper where it is placed, please see on the screenshot difference between display size and natural size (1308x204 vs 5000x780px):

You need to use smaller size of this image in that place. This will improve your score.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Katie,

On your second site it is the same issue with images with big dimensions packed into smaller wrappers. Please see this screenshot:

See how big difference is with display size and natural size. Google lowers score for that. You need to edit those element and place smaller image size there.
    From what I see that is issue for all the small images in that row and row that is on the bottom of the page.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.