Page loads very slowly, as it has large content - better ways to handle this?

Hi there,

I have a page that displays over 1000+ post titles. As you can imagine, the page loads VERY slowly.

I do need all of these to display, but is there a way to load these in a more efficient manner?

Link:
http://demo.xlearn.net.au/knowledge-base/

More info:
I use the WP Canvas shortcodes, to output the button filters you see on the link above
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wc-shortcodes/

Thanks!
Brett

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Brett

Hope you are keeping well !

I took a peek at the site. I can say off the bat that a good cache + CDN will increase you're site speed by 75%. I see that the query is run on each page load now and thats causing the extreme slowness.

Try something W3TC along with a free CDN like CloudFlare and see the difference.

Cheers
    Jude

• Ivan Shulev
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Brett ,

I hope you are having a nice day so far!

A CDN service can take care of the delivery of most of your files - images, CSS and JavaScript files.

What is mostly slowing down small to medium websites is usually the delivery of all the files.

So for example, lets say your site has 30 files that need to be downloaded by the client - 1 html, 20 images, 4 CSS files and 5 JavaScript files.

There is a limit of the number of concurrent files that can be downloaded at any time by your browser, per server. They differ, but the last time I checked it was 8. So that would mean the browser can only start downloading 8 files and the other 22 will be on hold.

Now, if you deliver most of your files through CDN, the browser will be able to start downloading more and the page will load faster. There will be much less stress on your server and it will improve overall site speed.

In your case, with the 1000 post titles, there is a lot of database queries and the server is primarily concerned with that, so using a caching plugin will have a bigger impact than a CDN.

That being said, both will improve your site load speed.

I hope this helps and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Brett
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the replies guys!

I installed the WPcache plugin - and have mixed results. Could be from a number of things, including hosting etc.

Are there any good services / developers out there who focus on site speed optimization?
    Hopefully they may be able t give me some more specific advice.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.