Page showing my products

I have installed custompress on WP3.0.5 and BP 1.2.7. I’m using theme Edu Clean 2.1.8.

I’ve added a Post Type: products

I’ve added a Taxonomy: adverts

I could not get it to create the template file. I set the permissions to 777 on the wp-content/themes/edu-clean folder but it does not appear (not sure why).

Anyway, the question I would like to ask:

How do I create a page called “Adverts” that will list all of the “Products”?

I am missing something basic here. Thanks.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello allingtm,

From what I gather from your post, it seems what you’re looking to do is create a Page Template, then create a page called “Adverts” where you use that Page Template.

If you scroll down the following page to the section Creating Your Own Page Templates you’ll see the steps normally required to create a Page Template.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

However, the process of creating the Page Template is what CustomPress is supposed to automate. With the permissions set properly to 777 everything should work. Have you checked in the page editing/creation area of your admin to see if a new Page Template is showing there? To verify, you are not seeing a newly created Page Template in your edu-clean folder?

Cheers,

David

• allingtm
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi DavidM,

Ok, so I’ve seached in the Page Add/Edit area and it is not showing the new page template file :slight_frown:

I change the folder permissions of the wp-content/themes/edu-clean to 777.

Any ideas I assume the file is written to wp-content/themes/edu-clean as that is the active theme. I think if I can get this to work, then I am sorted. If not I’ll have to create it manually, but I would prefer to get it working.

Thanks for your help

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello again allingtm,

Alright I’m very sorry for the confusion but actually, this is regarding posts so we won’t be looking for a page template after all.

I just setup a test site with the same essential configuration of CustomPress using edu-clean as well and it did create the file single-products.php. Basically though, that is just a copy of single.php and from that, you make whatever alterations you might want. So if you’re not seeing the single-products.php page being created in the folder, you could just make a copy of single.php and rename it single-products.php.

The thing is, you should see that php file being created. I’m guessing it would be single-products.php, assuming products is the post type. Just to be sure, are you refreshing your FTP or file list?

Cheers,

David

• allingtm

Hi DavidM,

Ok, thanks for looking at this for me. I’ve checked and double checked and the file is not there. I thick the checkbox under the templates section, and click “Save Changes” and I get the “Settings Saved” message, so if it produced an error I would think it might report a problem (i.e. permissions not set properly or something?)

Anyway, it’s no problem for me to copy and edit the single.php. Does it produce a verbatim copy? or does it edit it, if so could you give me a quick synopsis of what change I need to make to it.

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello allingtm,

It’s a verbatim copy with no changes. CustomPress gives you the code tidbits to copy-paste where you want in that file. So with that new single-products.php template file created, whenever you go to view those custom posts you should see them reflect the changes you made in that template file.

If you’re using FTP to access the files, an easy way to do this might be to copy single.php onto your hard drive, make the necessary changes (ie. paste the relevant embed codes where you want them) and then upload that new file. That really should do it.

Please let me know if this works for you or if anything needs clarification!

Cheers,

David

• allingtm

Thanks very much for your help. I understand now, and its just what I’m looking for. I’ve still got the automatic creation problem of the single-xyz.php files, but that is fine as it’s not a showstopper.

Thanks again.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Excellent! I’m glad it’s at least working for you to manually create the file. But I’ll keep this thread tagged so I can keep an eye out for any reasons the file can’t be created manually.

You might perhaps be interested in the following post also, as it lists various plugins that will provide additional features for working with your newly created post types.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custom-post-type-plugins

Cheers,

David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.