Page speeed decreased using WP Smash Pro

Hello,

I am trying to improve the load speed of my website. So, I purchased a trial of Smash Pro (which offers far more that I want - I just want to optimize my images).

The problem .. after using Smash Pro, my page speed DECREASED, per https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ Why, if my images were optimized? What was the point of "optimizing using your plugin if the page speed, according to Google, is decreased?

Thanks,

Chuck

• James Morris

Hello Charles,

It's very unusual for page speed to decrease after using Smush. This plugin only reduces the image sizes. I suspect there may be something else going on there. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Charles,

I've had a chance to look over your site and I'm not really seeing a problem with Smush as much as I am your setup.

For instance, I see you have not enabled any of the options in Smush that provide the greatest performance.

Screenshot:

I checked your site on Google Page Speed and I saw that, on Desktop, there was only 1 image that was reported as not optimized.

Screenshots:

I checked the source of your site and I see that you are using a very large image there with the HTML element specifying a smaller size than what is actually being linked to. This will cause Google Page Speed to tell you the image is not optimized. Please consider using a smaller image in this space or specifying the correct image dimensions in the HTML element.

Screenshot:

Just to give you a comparison, I also ran your site through GTMetrix. They are showing your images are optimized as well.

Screenshot:

The bigger issue on your site seems to be related to asset caching and minification. This is something our Hummingbird plugin excels at. Perhaps you may find some additional performance gains by using it. :wink:

Please give a good look at the options available in Smush and take a look at our Hummingbird plugin. You can install it (and over 100 more plugins) as part of your subscription with us. Adjusting those will go a long ways towards speeding your site up.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.