Page Templates for BP Business Theme not working for Buddypress pages.

I updated WP to 3.4, updated BP to 1.5.6, using the latest version of Business, and using Custom Sidebars plugin v1.1 . Here’s my problem, I can’t seem to control the page template for any of the Buddypress pages (activity, groups, forums, etc.). I can choose full-width, or right sidebar, but it doesn’t affect the front end at all. Any thoughts? The goal is to be able to control the sidebar widgets, using Custom Sidebars, which I have managed to be able to do on all non-buddypress pages, though that was before these updates.

Thanks,

Micah

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Micah,

Thank you for bringing this significant issue to our attention and for your additional input indicating all the upgraded versions of everything.

Is this indeed the plugin you are referring to?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-sidebars/

which I have managed to be able to do on all non-buddypress pages, though that was before these updates.

Could you please let me know if you are still able to control these on regular WordPress pages but still not on Buddy Press pages?

The reason why I ask is because I need to have all my ducks in a row with all the relevant symptoms/issues current in case I need to call for lead developer assistance.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• CIXdesigns
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am still able to control the page template on the other pages. And, yes that is the plugin, which works fine for those other pages. I believe it is working fine, the real issue seems to be the page template function not working.

Thanks for looking into this,

Micah

• CIXdesigns

I should add that I am also using a child theme that was made by wpmu folks as a fix for this theme, because it had lost the bottom menu. I suppose it could have something to do with it, since again only those items in that bottom menu are affected.

Thanks,

Micah

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Micah,

Thank you for including this very important piece of information, it is of great importance.

Because we are now not dealing with the regular downloaded file but a customized rendition, am I correct?

Can you remember by any chance who helped with the modification?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Micah,

After speaking with Mason James regarding the “modification” it appears that it was only a couple of lines related to navigation.

It is further agreed that if in fact the changes had made any effect on the plugin’s performance that it would not just affect the Buddy Press pages as it obviously does.

Can you please confirm that the Custom Sidebars plugin is indeed supposed to work with Buddy Press?

We have checked into this and cannot find any reference or indication of this.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• CIXdesigns

I have not looked into Custom Sidebar plugin working with Buddypress, but it seems as though the root of the problem lies in the page template feature not working for the Buddypress pages. I did a couple of test to try and isolate the problem.

1. To test the menu placement idea – I added a BP page to the top menu. Still Page Template no affect.

2. Deactivated the Custom Sidebar plugin – Page Template no affect.

It really seems like no matter what I do I just can’t control the page templates on the BP pages. Also, and I can’t say for sure, but I think before I upgraded WP, BP, and the theme, I think I was able to do it.

Thanks,

Micah

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Micah,

We have a new theme developer on board and I will ask him to look at this issue :slight_smile:

Here is my theory. Buddypress has changed alot and the page templates have changed and evolved, I think what might be happening is that the Buddypress component is looking for a specific BP template, and when it does not see it, it goes to the Buddypress default template files, thus overriding any of the theme’s built in templates.

If this is correct you should see some change by dragging the default BP activity template (or any other relevant) and you will see a change of some kind.

I am forwarding to the theme developer ASAP!

Thank you for your stellar patience!

• CIXdesigns

Thank you so much. You have come through again for me on this particular site. Can you explain with a little more detail what you mean by “dragging the default BP activity template (or any other relevant) and you will see a change of some kind.” Dragging the file from where to where? Huh?

Thank you,

Micah

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Buddypress Default page templates are here:

/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default

within their respective directories.

My theory is that the theme is not finding a sufficient template in your current theme directory and is going to the BP directory for a template.

So if you would try to bring the relevant page template FROM BP to your current theme, you might see a difference and it may give us an idea of what is missing to cause the issue.

Very sorry if this is not clear. I can do pictures if you need :slight_smile:

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Ok after more digging and some consultation, . It seems it is possible to use page template in past, but that doesn’t seems to work anymore in recent version. A reference that I found: http://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/changing-page-templates/

In summary, BuddyPress template file can’t be controlled on page template from Edit Page screen.

The sidebar seems like a separate issue. I see that the theme register 3 additional sidebars when BuddyPress exists, each for members page, groups page and forums page. These sidebars displayed on Widget setting screen, but for some reason, didn’t get used on the theme (it loads default sidebar instead on any of these pages).

Custom sidebar seems to work fine, but since the sidebar mentioned above is not getting used, I think that is probably where the confusion is because changing (for example) members sidebar won’t have any effect.

So, with that being said from our theme designer I am asking him to see what we can do to change the buddypress sidebars not being called correctly.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

OK Micah!

Here is the result, what we can do is correct the theme to engage the preferred default behavior of calling the intended sidebars for each Buddypress page.

Since we know this

In summary, BuddyPress template file can’t be controlled on page template from Edit Page screen.

Getting it to work the way it should, calling the Buddypress sidebars, is what our end goal will be

It will be fairly simple to fix this as we only have to change the sidebar called on each of the BuddyPress template file.

In case you want to try them, you have to change the file on:

/wp-content/themes/bp-business/forums/index.php

Change get_sidebar( ‘bp-business’ ); to get_sidebar( ‘forum’ );

/wp-content/themes/bp-business/groups/index.php

Change get_sidebar( ‘bp-business’ ); to get_sidebar( groups’ );

/wp-content/themes/bp-business/members/index.php

Change get_sidebar( ‘bp-business’ ); to get_sidebar( ‘members’ );

I’m thinking you can look for the change to be officially pushed through soon!

Thanks Micah! It seems Buddypress Business will be one great theme once you are done! You’ve pushed us to make many necessary changes we didn’t’ realize were needed!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.