Page text content from upfront are different from WordPress editor

I've created a new site in Upfront, Parrot, and I added the Search widget in the footer. I had to remove it because it doesn't seem to work. When you search for the word "coaching", all you get is the link to one page and an odd mention about "Archived", as you see here https://www.coachingperformance.com/?s=coaching. When I search for "performance" nothing comes up. So it looks like it is only searching page URLs and not web content. My other query is also to do with widgets. On our /contact page I added an enquiry form that links successfully to our MailChimp list. On our home page, I also wanted a quick submit the form, just email address or perhaps with name and surname which also links to MailChimp. I put the form email submit element that was on Parrot but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. The HTML is <form name="newsletter" class="newsletter-form" action="" method="post"> <input name="user-email" placeholder="Your email" type="email"> <span class="newsletter-btn"> <input value="Submit" type="submit"> </span> </form> Thank you for your help

• Dimitris

Hey there PCI Team,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've created a new site in Upfront, Parrot, and I added the Search widget in the footer. I had to remove it because it doesn't seem to work. When you search for the word "coaching", all you get is the link to one page and an odd mention about "Archived", as you see here https://www.coachingperformance.com/?s=coaching. When I search for "performance" nothing comes up. So it looks like it is only searching page URLs and not web content.

Search widget is searching by default to the actual post content used in post. With post content I'm referring to the content used when you edit a post/page in wp-admin area.
    Upfront can also be used to insert Text and other elements though, and these aren't searchable from default Search widget (these data are kept in separate place in database as serialized data).
    Here's an example with default "About" page that comes with Parrot child theme:
    In this post content I added a testing "searchkeyword" word.

The actual page though, don't use the "post data" element, but some "text" elements instead (I've also added a new "text" element adding my "searchword":wink:.

Search results for this query are including default post content though.

In order to add the default post content in a post/page, you should use the "post data" element as shown here:

I've already messaged Upfront developers on this, if we could surpass this, or if a new custom "search" element should be built to be able to search in all Upfront elements too, apart from default post content of course.
    Me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here, as soon as you've got some valuable insights.

As for the "Archived - we keep things organized." title, is the default title for the archive.php template, as can be found in wp-content/themes/uf-parrot/layouts/archive.php in line #236.

My other query is also to do with widgets. On our /contact page I added an enquiry form that links successfully to our MailChimp list. On our home page, I also wanted a quick submit the form, just email address or perhaps with name and surname which also links to MailChimp. I put the form email submit element that was on Parrot but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. The HTML is <form name="newsletter" class="newsletter-form" action="" method="post"> <input name="user-email" placeholder="Your email" type="email"> <span class="newsletter-btn"> <input value="Submit" type="submit"> </span> </form>

In order for the form to work, you should use the exact markup as you've used in this /contact page. Especially the "form" element should have the exact same attributes (action, method, id, name, class) and also couple of scripts added on the very bottom, should be added again.
    Please keep in mind that you remove inputs that's been marked as "required" in Mailchimp form, then the form will generate validation errors, so you might have to create a new list/form for that.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• PCI Team

Hi Dimitris

Many thanks for your responses to my two queries. Your searchkeyword test shows exactly the issue. However, I don't think this is just relevant to the Search widget. If you look at SmartCrawl you can see that the same problem applies to the Meta Description. Does that mean that it applies to the entire page that search engines crawl or do they manage to crawl the Text elements? If not, it seems that Upfront, or at least the way the Parrot templates have been built, creates pretty pages which will score zero in SEO terms.

Thanks for showing me how to insert the dragable Post Data element in order to get text on the page which is also in post/page content that would be searchable and crawlable. What I cannot see is how to insert an image into the Post Data element so that I can have a mix of text (Post Data) followed by image followed by text (Post Data), and so that things like image Title, Alt Text would also be found by the Search function and by search engines. I inserted an image it in the usual wp-admin Edit Page view and Add Media but then it isn't possible to work with it in Upfront like with an Image element and how could you turn it into a background image divider with parallax, as I have done here: https://www.coachingperformance.com/coaching-for-performance/. And on the home page which is just made up of image background divider regions, if I put the text in a Post Data element, would each heading scroll with the correct image:

Coaching is bigger
    than coaching
    EXPLORE
    How high are you
    performing
    About us
    EXPLORE

Perhaps SEO has moved on and I'm trying to do something unnecessary but when I was on Live Chat with one of your support guys, whenever I pasted in one of our URLs, the couple of lines that automatically showed beneath the page title (I'm guessing it was pulling up the Meta Description) were the Latin sample text in the Parrot post content and not the actual wording on the web page.

Many thanks

Frances

• Dimitris

Hello there PCI Team,

hope you're doing good today and please excuse my late response here! :slight_smile:

As I've mentioned before, default Search widget isn't searching whole database, only post/page related data, so these custom Upfront elements, stored in wp_options table aren't included in these native search results.

On the other hand though, Google is crawling the website "from the outside", meaning that it doesn't care about platforms and how data are being stored.
    Here's an example of a live test site of mine, which is displaying the default Parrot text in search results (I had to add a sitemap to properly crawl this site):

As this Google search worked "normally" in my tests, I went ahead and installed our Custom Google Search plugin (you can get this from here).
    After setting up its settings, search results are returning correctly via Google Search.

Editing any child theme file and then updating it, will result to lost changes, so these should be applied once more.
    Another workaround might be to edit theme files using Upfront Builder plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/upfront-builder/
    and make this your own theme (renaming it should also deactivate any automated update notifications).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• PCI Team

Hello Dimitris
    Many thanks for suggesting Custom Google Search. After installing and activating the plugin I discovered you need to sign up for this on google and it would appear that you can't opt out of the ads they show or the Google branding which wouldn't be appropriate for our site.
    I'm beginning to wonder if Upfront is really a suitable option for business websites. My next issue which is related to having text elements in wp_options table is how we are going to be able to have our site available in multiple languages. I'm not sure that even a premium plugin such as WPML will work. If you watch the demo on https://wpml.org/ it all seems to be based on the Post/Page data in the Wordpress editor. Would you have any recommendation for how we could create language sub-domains using Upfront?
    Thank you!
    Frances

• Dimitris

Hello there PCI Team,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Indeed, WPML isn't 100% compatible with Upfront and you should use the default content of posts/pages instead of the native Upfront elements.
    You could work this out by enabling multisite and have separate subsites for each additional language.
    Cloner plugin can also help you duplicating original site.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris