Pages not being blocked by membership plugin.

I have a test page (http://www.iirp.org/trainer/wordpress/?page_id=86) that displays when I expect it not to. With the settings as they are I thought that I should land on my "No Access" page. Instead I can get to the page where I have protected content. The protected content does not show, so at least that is working.

I have the Shortcode visibility default set to No- Shortcodes are protected by default, protected content page set to No Access, and I have the Stranger level set to have positive rules for a few pages which does not include the testing page.

Thanks.

• Eric G.
    • The Crimson Coder

@benwachtel

If I am understanding you correctly. You are NOT protecting the page, but you are protecting content using the shortcodes? If so, I believe this is what is supposed to happen. You would not get your 404 page unless the entire page was protected. If you are using shortcodes, then it allows you to place content that 'can' be accessed to non-members outside of those shortcodes.

Did I read it right?

• benwachtel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Almost. The content has short codes that work that's fine. I want to get my pages protected.

I thought the page was protected because I did not give it a positive rule. If it doesn't have a positive rule allowing it to go there it should be protected, right? Or am I making a false assumption that because something is not positive it is negative? If my assumption is false I shouldn't protect shortcodes by default and I'll make all my rules negatives, is that right?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi benwachtel,

There was a bit of trouble a little ways back with the positive/negative page rules and I'd just like see if that's the case here. Could you give that a try by switching the Page rule over to the positive area and inverting the ticked pages?

Thanks,
    David

• thoward
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am encountering a similar problem.

I created 3 levels, strangers, members and premium.

I set the register page to be seen only by strangers, and added it to the negative list of both members and premium. I then registered an account, becoming a member (with appropriate free member subscription), but can still see the register page.

Am I doing something wrong here?

• thoward

I did:
    moved negative pages to positive, and checked all unchecked, unchecked all checked
    moved positive pages to negative, and checked all unchecked, unchecked all checked

Using the newly registered free member, I am now blocked from accessing the register page.
    I double checked and found that for a free member, the register page is unchecked, but in the positive rules.

• benwachtel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have switched my rules from negative to positive and inverted check marks from how they were and still no joy. thoward mentions moving positive pages to negative and negative to postive. How does that happen? I can only put pages in the positive rules or the negative rules, not both.

• benwachtel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I found out what my problem was.
    I hadn't set my site up with pretty links yet.
    Now that I have an htaccess file and pretty permalinks it is working like I expect it to.
    I suggest that this information should be in the documentation somewhere.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@thoward, thanks for clarifying all of that. I wanted to simply be sure we were on the right track with the positive/negative rules.

@benwachtel, thanks for the update regarding the permalinks and htaccess. We'll take a closer look at getting that documented as well.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi thoward, I just wanted to be sure that was the issue there. In my testing locally I can't see any problem with the page rules being in the negative area. So at this point, I'm venturing to guess there's a rule conflicting with the page rule in the negative area.

Did you by any chance have a URL Group in the negative area?
    For that matter, do you have any other rules in the negative area? If so, could you let me know which?

Thanks,
    David

• thoward

Hi David.

At this point, the only rule I need to create is for the registration be seen only by strangers (logged out, non-registered). Since it wasn't working as expected I simply followed your instructions to invert settings.

I haven't touched anything else and waiting for a solution.

Thanks.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi thoward,

I really can't see a reason for the negative rule placement not working, especially if it's a simple setup. I'll be glad to take a look at the site if you'd like to send us a login. If so, you can simply submit it using our contact form marked attention to David, along with a link to this thread for reference.

Other than that, could you maybe try the database repair feature in this new version? I'm not totally sure that would solve the issue but if you haven't tried that already, it's well worth a try here, as a rule issue like that sounds like it could stem from the data in the database.

Thanks,
    David

• thoward

Hi DavidM,

Here's what I did:
    1. delete plugin via ftp
    2. upload plugin via ftp
    3. network activate
    4. realize that it is 2.0.2 and updated via wordpress
    5. communications menu not visible
    6. deleted 2.0.2 plugin
    7. uploaded 2.0.3 plugin
    8. activated and it is now there.

I did some testing and it seems that the rules are still not working as expected. Please help.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi thoward,

I've been taking a look into this and can see that for some reason the negative rules are not working for pages in this case. There are a couple issues to address like the Members plugin being loaded alongside BuddyPress, which will cause compatibility issues (ie. they both use the 'members' slug). But that shouldn't affect Membership's operation.

I'll post back here as I work through this and let you know what I find. Thanks for your patience!

• thoward

It's now working as expected, but there's a bug:

The protected page setting doesn't work reliably. I've set the about page to the negative list of strangers. Instead of showing me the protected page, it gives me a 404 error. I tried the same link on a different browser (with a logged in user) and it works.

• thoward

I encountered another problem.

An existing registered user cannot upgrade to a higher level account. I created an 'Upgrade to Premium' page and placed the [subscriptionform] shortcode.

Instead of showing me the option to upgrade (from free to paid) it displays the message:
    Completed: Thank you for joining

• thoward

DavidM,

The upgrades period limit is 365 days. Is this correct? I don't exactly understand what the description says, but I assume that after 365 days, I can no longer upgrade.

bitingedge,

Thanks! I figured that out earlier, but still it didn't allow me to upgrade.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The upgrades period limit is 365 days. Is this correct? I don't exactly understand what the description says, but I assume that after 365 days, I can no longer upgrade.

No, that is number of days between upgrades. So if i upgrade, then I'm not allowed to upgrade again, or downgrade back for that number of days.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Responded on other thread by @thoward. Sorry, i seemed to have skipped the most relevant post in this thread. The registration page (the one set in the options) can't be excluded in rules. It's a special case so that you can exclude access to everything on your site to none members, but can still let people signup. That's, primarily, why the option to select the page exists in the membership option. so the plugin knows which one to ignore in the rules.

If you want to limit that page, then you have to unset the registration page setting in the membership options. The registration processing will still work, but it will no longer be a special case page - so you then have to be very careful about your rules or you could stop people signing up for your site completely.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.