Pages vs Categories

Hello, ok i building site for a certain bread of dog with wpmu and buddypress, of course i want to offer the community some info/articles on the breed but am not sure how best to achieve this!

I was going to create some pages, history, health etc etc but when i looked a petomondo site that runs buddypress they have used categories and created post in these categories.

I was wondering how others do and what are benefits and draw backs of each method?

I have read the codex on pages but am still unsure of best method, i want the info to have permanent link to it on main page.

cheers

• Robert

It all depends on what you want to do in the areas of health, history, etc. And how often you will be updating that information.

Pages are generally used when information is static, like "Contact Us" or "About Us" pages. Categories are your actual blog stories/posts - where you add a new post to the category frequently and previous posts remain as they were.

For example, the history of a breed doesn't change very much so if your goal is present a simple chronology and related information that won't change, then creating a page for that seems to make sense. On the other hand, if your intention is to write a weekly/monthly article about the breed through history, then creating a category would probably make more sense as you will be adding another "chapter" to the history of the breed as time goes on.

Hope that helps.

• carpconnect

Hello and thanks for reply, the info i am thinking will not change at all or very little once done, history is history and does not really alter.

Health would be a potted version of know issues and could/would be complemented by occasional updates either by myself or members.

I think i looking towards pages for the clear cut factual info on breed and categories/posts to compliment these.

cheers