paid members' sites are being cut off

I have had a problem happen now 2-3 times with paid members through my ProSites plugin. Here's what has happened: a member who is paying either monthly or quarterly through a Paypal recurring payment has their site "withdrawn" for nonpayment, even though their payment went through fine. I don't know why this happens--maybe something to do with the Paypal process, but in any case, their site is down and I don't even get notified as the Super Admin. As you can see from the log in the Prosites admin area, the system notifies the user that their site was withdrawn. Now I have the problem of how to reinstate their site to be sure it is back in sync with the recurring Paypal payment. I don't know how to do this. In the past, I just "extended" them permanently, but that is not a good solution. In the case below, I tried to count the # of days until the next quarterly payment and extend only # of days, but I don't know if that is a good solution either.

Please advise. Is this something for the developer to be aware of? It's not too bad now with only about 20 members, but with hundreds of members, I could see this as a big problem.

2014-10-23 9:18:38 pm Pro Site status expiration extended until November 17, 2014.
2014-10-17 8:03:56 pm Expired email sent to xxxxxxxx@att.net
2014-10-17 8:03:55 pm Pro Site status has been withdrawn.
2014-07-16 10:17:19 pm Signup success email sent to xxxxxxxx@att.net
2014-07-16 10:17:18 pm Pro Site status expiration extended until October 16, 2014.
2014-07-16 10:17:17 pm User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Subscription created (Words and Writers Sites Basic Pro: $20.95 USD every 3 months) - Profile ID: I-xxxxxxxx
2014-07-16 10:17:16 pm User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Initial payment successful (Words and Writers Sites Basic Pro: $20.95 USD every 3 months) - Transaction ID: xxxxxxxx

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your question!

This sounds like a PayPal IPN issue; however, is it only happening to some sites? Others are being renewed fine?

Can you make sure that your IPN is enabled and that the correct URL is there.

You can also check your IPN history via your PayPal account. My Overview > History > IPN History.

Check that and let me know what the IPN response was for those sites transactions :slight_smile: that should give us some more information.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• joejacobson

Hey Tyler,

I checked my Paypal settings, and it looks like I never enabled the IPN, so there was no history to look at. I have it enabled now. The URL I inserted was my primary domain where Prosites works. Does that sound right?

Regarding when this was happening: it only has occurred 2-3 times in the last year and quite randomly, and not on the same user site.

I guess there's nothing more to do now, except look at the IPN history later when some more transactions go through Paypal.

I still have the question of how to deal with the user site that this happened to. Since there site was shut down, what is the proper way to get it back online? Extend it permanently? Extend it until the next payment is due?

Thanks for your help, Joe.