Paid subscription only?

Is there any way to restrict site creation to paid supporters only? I do not want people to be able to create free sites.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Heya Mark, good question. At first I thought it just hid the menu items but it's actually changing the role requirement for posting. So as far as I could see there was no way to get around it.

I don't know of a way to restrict the initial blog creation myself. But I believe this method can be used effectively.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Whoa! Sorry for that, but I read the plugin wrong. It's actually not using roles/capabilities but merely unsetting edit_posts and edit_pages menu items.

@cdkrauth can you check those sites by logging in as a user to see if the Posts > Add New menu item is displayed?

• cdc19
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have not logged on to their individual sites as a local user, but I have this running on my class website. I have 48 students each with their own sites. When they created the sites I gave them 30 days of free "Supporter" status. The 30 days has since expired and they are all still capable of creating & editing both posts and pages. I know this for sure, because that is how they submit assignments. None of them has reported any difficulty in submitting assignments or in creating their posts.

I checked their sites and their "supporter" status is expired on everyone of the sites.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Heya cdkrauth,

As long as they have the url to get to the post/page list, they could still create posts and pages, given that the write_post plugin restricting is only removing the relevant menu items.

That said, could you try logging in as a user to see if the menu item is at least missing as it should be? Just want to be sure the write_post plugin is doing what it should.

• cdc19

So it seems the "Add New" option is missing from the left sidebar Post menu. But there are still lots of other places where "Add New Post" or "Add New Page" appears that they have full access to. I've included a few screenshots.

1. "Add New" under page menu.
    2. "New Post" on admin bar "Dashboard" menu.
    3. "New Post" & "New Page" on top right drop down menu.
    4. "Edit" link still active on Posts screen.
    5. "Quick Press" box still active on main dashboard.

• cdc19

Sorry for the delay in posting. It is final exam week.

I finished the upgrade to 2.2.8 and it fixed the problem. All of the indicated menu items have now been removed from students sites that have not been extended. Sorry, I missed the April update. I've been troubleshooting this for a while and had upgraded it when I began troubleshooting.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.