Parent and Child Theme

Hey guys,

I’m a little confused. I modified the following files:

edu-clean/_inc/css/base.css and edu-clean/header.php

I know they’ll be overwritten if there’s an update. I’m not sure how to use the child theme edu-clean-child to avoid this if at all possible. Is it for individual div classes that I modify to be put inside edu-clean-child/_inc/css/child-style.css file ?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

there should be 2 folder for edu-clean pack right?

edu-clean

edu-clean-child

you just need to activate the edu-clean-child in site-admin and themes appearence.

once you done that..

just copy paste any .php or any files you want to make edits to edu-clean-child…like

if you want to edit header.php with some custom code…copy the header.php to edu-clean-child

it will take effect on changes.

edu-clean/_inc/css/base.css

not recon to edit the css here…you can add you custom css to custom.css

just copy paste the new css and the #custom declare..sample

#custom .class_or_id_from_parent {

copy the css code + custom edit

}

so next time an update to edu-clean, you can just update the parent folder edu-clean.

try not to edit any files in edu-clean except for the custom.css of coz..this is for any css you want

to add in that will also take effect in child theme.

cheers

• Joe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Richie,

Question:

just copy paste any .php or any files you want to make edits to edu-clean-child...like
    if you want to edit header.php with some custom code...copy the header.php to edu-clean-child
    it will take effect on changes.

Would this work for any file?

I copy front-left to the edu-clean-child and made a change to the line

<h4><?php _e(‘How can’:wink:; ?> <?php bloginfo(‘name’:wink:; ?> <?php _e(‘Can-Help You?’:wink:; ?></h4>

and is not reflecting.

Thanks,

Joe

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

you’re right..it doesn’t reflect the changes

they do work prior before i update my bp install to bp 1.2.3

some conflict within child theme maybe?..will add this issue to list.

mean while you can open up home.php in edu-clean

and edit this line.

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/front-left.php'); ?>

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/front-right.php'); ?>

to

<?php locate_template( array( 'front-left.php'), true ) ?>

<?php locate_template( array( 'front-right.php'), true ) ?>

that should work…update here again ok

cheers

• meschenbaum
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Has there been a patch or fix for this beyond the posted work around above?

It seems that any file using ‘TEMPLATEPATH’ needs to be altered because the variable is only using the parent path and not adjusting to the child.

thanks,

matt

• jabbermonkey
    • Flash Drive

Hello – :slight_smile:

I’m having a problem with the edu-clean theme, in that I have no idea what has happened to my page tab menu after upgrading to the new version AND using the child theme.

Originally I was using the parent theme only and LAST WEEK I upgraded due to the auto-nag feature. LOL

I finally figured out how to activate the child theme (by separating it from the parent and putting it in as its own theme – cool).

My WPMU 3.1 website is located HERE.

As of today (March 14 2011) here’s what it looks like (no tabbed menus but rather a weird list):

If you let me know which file(s) to edit or check, I’ll get right on it :slight_smile: Thank you!!!!

• jabbermonkey
    • Flash Drive

Follow-up:

If I replace the OLD header.php under the edu-clean parent, my tabs come back across the top.

I did a comparission of both NEW and OLD header.php and there are many changes…so I’m clueless about what’s going on.

Also, from my previous post, I not only lose my page tabs, the HOME tab, which is built-in to edu, also disappears.

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Let me make sure I have this correct-

1. I upload the theme (it includes parent and child is in themes folder)

2. I remove the child theme from the parent folder, upload it at the same level as the parent

3. then DELETE the themes folder in the parent? or leave the themes folder with the child in the parent themes folder?

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Let me make sure I have this correct-

1. I upload the theme (it includes parent and child is in themes folder)

2. I remove the child theme from the parent folder, upload it at the same level as the parent

3. then DELETE the themes folder in the parent? or leave the themes folder with the child in the parent themes folder?

• jabbermonkey
    • Flash Drive

sdominique, good question and I’m sure that the experts will help you. I’m having a time with this theme as well.

I did wind up uploading the entire thing, then read some more, now I have the parent alone and the child in its own folder. I realized that’s the only way to activate the child theme.

But what do I know???? LOL

• Larry_D
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

then DELETE the themes folder in the parent? or leave the themes folder with the child in the parent themes folder?

If you load both themes you will see them both under themes. Select the child theme and activate. Whether you delete the theme folder or not should have no effect either way. I personally delete all those things that are not needed from the server.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.