Parent/Child Theme (Multisite)-> Install Checkup

I just want to make sure i’m doing this correctly.

I installed Blogs MU theme in my wp-content/themes folder

-> Then I moved the mu blogs ‘child’ folder out of the mu blogs folder and relocated it to the wp-content/themes folder as well.

I then network enable the blogsmu child theme and leave the Parent theme just there floating on the ftp server. I then only proceed to update any css and what not in the ‘child’ theme. (do i have to do something to activate the css file in the child theme?)

Also – > Installing plugins – Can I install plugins through the network admin? or do i have to manually install/unzip them for multisite? ..

Thanks!

• Emanaku
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi tgrOss, its basically all right – but to make the child theme work you have to do this:

rename _inc/css/child-style-sample.css to child-style.css to use child theme

( as the style.css and the readme.txt in _inc/css of the child theme tells you :wink: )

And normally you can install plugins through the network admin without problems.

Have fun!!

• Emanaku
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi tgrOss, did you do a WordPress Multisite setup? Then there should be already a folder wp-content/mu-plugins.

You would copy the content of the Blog MU theme’s mu-plugin to the wp-content/mu-plugins folder …

Have fun!!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tgr0ss,

It appears that you and Emanaku clearly have this under control.

I personally like to FTP up my plugins though I admit I do the updates using the WordPress uploader.

With FTP I can see if there are any file failures plus compare there sizes if there is an issue.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.