Password reset function does not work

Hello all,
I use gravity forms registration add on as my login/registration system.

I have a problem with resetting the password. When a user presses the forget password link he/she gets an email with a custom link to reset the password. Unfortunately, this link never opens! He/she gets the login page again!
I wrote exactly this to gravity forms support. I got this answer:
"In a lot of cases, I have seen mail clients make a hyperlink out of the full string, including the closing > - that makes the link not work. You can see it if you inspect the link closely before clicking it"

There is an icon with the arrow that points to the right bracket it is a part of the URL indeed.

This is happening to my case also.

It seems that it is a WP issue! check here:
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44589

The question is what can I do to fix this?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ioannis

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I tried to replicate the problem on my end but I wasn't able, wouldn't you mind please grant the support access and we can take a closer look for you?

I see on WordPress link that this was moved to 5.3 release, but you can give a try on the suggested patch on the thread.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/44589/44589.diff

on wp-login.php file line 396 ( version 5.2.2 )

$message .= '<' . network_site_url( "wp-login.php?action=rp&key=$key&login=" . rawurlencode( $user_login ), 'login' ) . ">\r\n";

Replace the line using

$message .= network_site_url( "wp-login.php?action=rp&key=$key&login=" . rawurlencode( $user_login ), 'login' ) . "\r\n";

Note, we don't suggest editing any WordPress core file, this is a patch suggested from another member on the forum but I hardly recommend keep eyes on WordPress 5.3 changelogs.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• Ioannis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Patrick,
    Thanks for your answer,

What do you mean you haven't been able to replicate the problem. Have you created an account and then follow the "forget password" procedure and it worked fine?

I just tried out this fix on wp-login. It is still there that replacement. I just tested it again but nothing. The result is the same. Still the brankets are there. If you pay more attention on the screen after following the link you will see for a sec the forget password page to be there as it should but it seems that it disappears almost immediately.

So I just sit and wait having the forget password feature not working??

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ioannis

What do you mean you haven't been able to replicate the problem. Have you created an account and then follow the "forget password" procedure and it worked fine?

I mean that I tried to replicate the problem on my WordPress once I hadn't the access on your site at that moment.

I just tried out this fix on wp-login. It is still there that replacement. I just tested it again but nothing. The result is the same. Still the brankets are there. If you pay more attention on the screen after following the link you will see for a sec the forget password page to be there as it should but it seems that it disappears almost immediately.

I created a subscriber account on your site and tried to reset the password, indeed, the link didn't work, but if you check the URL

It is not adding the ">" on URL, it is passing the right Key to the WordPress

You said it was working fine, it means the problem can be a plugin or theme conflict, any plugin or theme update causing the problem.

First of all, please, create a full backup of your site or a Staging version.

Fix the mixed content

Run a plugin conflict test.

Remember, is important that you run this test in a staging site, if you can’t do it you must create a full backup.

Please deactivate all plug-ins just keep the reported one, and check if the problem is gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is creating the issue.

If you still having this issue, could you do a theme test, much the same as the plugin test, but now you’re testing themes!
    Activate one of the default WordPress themes, like Twenty Seventeen or Twenty Twenty Nineteen.

Here you will find more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

Let me know the results that you get,
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• Ioannis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,
    On my staging site I did deactivate all plugins that my theme doesn't need to work and test it out.
    Nothing! Note that by deactivating the plugins there was no need to fix the mix content issue cause there were no errors on the console after the deactivation

I have not tried the theme. I have not updated my theme for some time. My subscription has ended. When I try to change to twenty sixteen a get a shortcode in the place of the form. I am not sure what to do to make the shortcode load the form

I do not know what is going on. Maybe I was wrong and it never worked after erasing the brankets of the link as I mentioned. Maybe I was wrong..
    I could offer to the team access to my staging to take a look

Please note that after following the link the reset password page appears for just a sec and then disappears for the login page.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ioannis

Hope you are doing well.

Wouldn't you mind please forward the credentials for your staging site and we can take a closer look for you?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.

Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question:

Subject: "Attn: Patrick Freitas"

- Site login URL:

- WordPress admin username:
    - WordPress admin password:

- FTP/SFTP credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:
    Port:

- cPanel credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:

- Folder path to the site in question:

- Link back to this thread for reference

- Any other relevant URLs/info:

Please, reply to the ticket once you have sent the information.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ioannis

Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for the credentials, I made a new test on your site.

Using the default WordPress theme it works fine.

Seems the main issue is the theme reset password function is returning an expired link.

The theme fixed it on version 2.0

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the cause on the code to fix it, I suggest you try to get the update for your theme and it should work fine.

Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• Ioannis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Patrick. I just noticed that the version of my theme is 2.1.1. So, this had to be fixed.
    I hesitate to go ahead and update my theme. You see I do have 68 plugins activated (I know this is a major issue and I plan to do something about this). I am afraid that this update may break down the website.
    I understand from your last thread that you are sure that this is a theme issue. So I need the theme's support. I do not know what to do.
    Please advice.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Ioannis,

You can create a backup of your site and then try to update your theme. If it breaks too many things, then you can simply restore the backup so all should be good.

Or, you can create a clone of your site and dry run this there. If you find everything working fine in that cloned site, then you can also update in your live site. Still, I'll suggest you take a complete backup of your site before making this type of big changes.

You can use our Snapshot Pro plugin for backup. I'll suggest you use the Managed Backup inside the Snapshot Pro plugin for backup.

To get support for your theme, please contact the developer of that theme. As he developed that theme, he can give you the best suggestion regarding this. Please let us know what he says about it. If there's anything we can do from our end, we will be very glad to do that for you.

Please let me know if you still have any confusion or any further query. We are always here to help.

Regards,
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.