Pay-Per-View bypassed by reader mode on iPhone

Pay-Per-View

I am developing a Book site at 50mpg.org thinking that pay-per-view would be very handy for some situations.

My problem is that for the iphone "Reader" mode, pay-per-view is bypassed.

So the idea is to let people read the first chapter, but when they go to the menu and select the next chapter, they are asked to pay. But then if they pick Reader, they access the content w/o paying.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Larry

tishimself

Hi,

*THE* default theme? I actually have two. But yes, I did test with the default mobile theme which I figure is not what you are asking about.

I did not test with the default Wordpress "desktop" theme. I did switch to the "desktop" responsive theme on my iPhone and the problem persists.

But I did also test with the TwentyTen "desktop" theme which is pretty generic and the same thing happens on my iPhone.

Larry

Hakan

First of all I want to note that Pay Per View had been tested with iphone and ipad without any issues.

Secondly, PPV does not simply rely on cookies or javascript but make a strict check on the payments which are saved in the database. The content is only revealed after that check is successful.

I wanted to test it on your website but 50mpg.org does not open for me. Are you having a temporary server issue?

As I cannot test this on your website, I will just make a speculation: Probably you are getting cache files from the browser which have been saved on your iphone when you are logged in as admin or you paid once using that iphone.

So I suggest testing like this:
    - Clear all cache files and cookies on your iphone
    - Either delete the plugin and reinstall it or empty (TRUNCATE) wp_pay_par_view table using phpmyadmin
    - Set "Admin sees full content" and "Authorized users see full content" as No
    - Now try again

Cheers,
    Hakan

tishimself

Hi,

FYI, I have an IPhone 5 with all updates applied.

Just to be clear, when I say "Reader mode" but you press Reader in the address bar on top.

50mpg.org

I have no idea why you would not be able to view the site. Maybe the link will help.

How do I clear all cache and cookies on an iPhone? I did a power reset and I did clear cache and cookies from Safari, but that did not change anything.

As far as deleting & reinstalling, that will have to wait until I have more time.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

>I wanted to test it on your website but 50mpg.org does not open for me. Are you having a temporary server issue?

Are you saying you getting a server error? What is the error? This is disconcerting.

Or maybe you are just seeing a very different look on the iPhone than what is on the non-mobile "desktop" site. They are different themes and will look very different, tho you can scroll down to the bottom on your iPhone and ask for the desktop view, which is responsive but quite ugly. But I digress.

BTW, I have never configured PPV to take payments, so it is "right out of the box" so to speak. Maybe that is the source of my situation.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I have not yet had the time to reinstall the plugin.

- Set "Admin sees full content" and "Authorized users see full content" as No.

Please understand that when I view the site from my iPhone that I am not logged in at all, so this setting seems to be irrelevant to the situation.

I should have pointed out from the start that I see the three Pay-Per-View options on my iPhone B4 I press "Reader" after which they are gone and I see full content.

Maybe you can share with me a site where it is working so that I can be certain that there is indeed something I have wrong with my site.

Regards,
    Larry

Hakan

BTW, I can now access to your website, but it doesn't even work for a normal PC, for example this page:
    http://50mpg.org/category/part-i-the-beginning/chapter-1/

You have a plugin which makes every link to be redirected to somewhere else, e.g.:

<a href="http://50mpg.org/bookin?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2F50mpg.org%2F2013%2F01%2F01%2Fjanuary-is-only-the-beginning%2F" class="ppw_login_hidden" >&nbsp;</a>

What is that plugin?

Obviously this is not acceptable. I mean, PPV tries to send the client to PayPal, but you are overriding it with some other plugin.

tishimself

Hi,
    I'm glad you can now access the website, did you initially get a server error message?

No I can't reproduce it on that sample page as "reader" mode is not available to use.
    Odd, cause I thought Reader is always available even on my non-mobile non-wordpress sites, but maybe it does not work on some pages and then does not display. I don't think there is a way in Safari to turn to it off. Anyhow, I have yet to not see it on one of my sites but I will check more of them out.

You have a plugin which makes every link to be redirected to somewhere else

I don't quite understand when you say *every* link is directed elsewhere.
    I presume you are talking about the three PPV links, but actually only the first does not go to the Paypal sandbox. Your statement is either inaccurate or you need to help me better understand. I don't know why this PPV link is wrong, but for now it seems a secondary issue as I'm not pressing that button, it is the Safari Reader that is at issue.

If Reader Bypass of PPV is unresolved, then the link need not be fixed as PPV is not usable.

Regards,
    Larry
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

IMHO, you are drifting away from addressing my issue since you have never mentioned Safari Reader mode compatibility for PPV and the site you listed did not display the Reader at all, so...

Before we go any further, is the Pay-Per-View plugin compatible with the Safari Reader? Y|N

If they are compatible, then provide me a URL with the two working together.

I maintain that the PPV plugin is not compatible with Safari Reader, so prove me wrong before we go any further.

Regards,
    Larry

Hakan

Before we go any further, is the Pay-Per-View plugin compatible with the Safari Reader? Y|N

Yes.

It doesn't matter what mode or what browser you are using, because PPV does not care about front end. It is NOT javascript based. It works on server (php) side.

It is impossible for someone to see that page revealed unless he accessed the unprotected version of the page before and browser saved it as cache, which is probably what you are seeing.

Your page is not working on a normal PC, normal browser yet, because your PayPal API settings are not correct. Are you planning to fix it? We cannot help you further if you don't correct it.

tishimself

Hi,

It doesn't matter what mode or what browser you are using, because PPV does not care about front end.

YES, exactly the point, because the Safari Reader reformats the content of the current page into a new reader friendly page after stripping out and bypassing PPV without ever talking to the server backend.

If they are compatible, then provide me a URL with the two working together.

There is plenty of speculation on the web about what activates Safari Reader mode based on page content. You may want to look at these articles as I don't know why your sample page did not have the Safari Reader option but it seems to like WP posts.

My ask is for you to show me an example where Safari Reader works with PPV because I just don't think you can.

Simply demonstrate to me that PPV works with the Safari Reader. If you can do so, then and only then will I be shown wrong.

Regards,
    Larry

Hakan

because the Safari Reader reformats the content of the current page into a new reader friendly page after stripping out and bypassing PPV without ever talking to the server backend.

Sorry but these are not technical conversations. I don't see any way of doing this unless you use special methods to detect client's browser and you especially let them disable all action and filter hooks. But still this cannot be on client (browser) side, it should only be done on SERVER side, which means you should have especially let it so. If a browser can do it is almost certain that you are hacked. Did you already try with a friend's machine?

Your PPV page is STILL not working even for a normal PC as you didn't set your payPal API settings. And you are not willing to fix it. What can I do more?

As I see that you are unwilling to cooperate and this conversation will not go any further, I asked our support manager to be included in this subject. He will give his insights what can be done more.

tishimself

Hi,

I agree that we are not communicating well. I'm not sure how to better explain things, but my ask is reasonable.

Asking you to provide an example of PPV working with the Safari Reader on a post is a reasonable. This seems like the easiest way for me to see the Safari Reader functionality is compatible with PPV. Your inability to provide such an example leads me to think that this has never been properly vetted with PPV.

I don't see any way of doing this

Apple has not provided much detail on how the Safari Reader works on the iPhone, but this behavior does not seem impossible..

I don't think our two phones have been hacked nor has my site which from the start has been secured with BWPS. But I think this speculation is off topic.

But I do think when the Safari Reader is reformatting the post, it must realize that there is more content and does talk to the server to get the additional content. I say this because once PPV is bypassed additional post content does get displayed.

I will look into fully implementing PPV on the site w/o the Sandbox and try to see what is wrong with that link. But you should provide a working example if for no other reason than you have no other to be certain PPV does not have a problem with the Safari Reader.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I configured PPV to use my Papal API and Prod rather than Sandbox. I also reduced the PPV options to one to make things simpler.

When I select one of the pages in Chapter 1 and the Reader, I get all the content and PPV is not there to stop it. What do you suggest I try?

A new thread:
    When I select a PPV option on your sample page I'm requested to sign into the Sandbox. This is the same with my desktop browser or the iPhone.

When I select a PPV option in IE 10 on my laptop my site displays four login options like Facebook. The same thing happens using Chrome. I have not yet gone thru the process of registering.

However, when I do this in Safari on my laptop or iPhone, I get sent directly to Paypal w/o being given the option to register. This same thing happens using FireFox on my laptop. PPV is not working the same as on Chrome & IE10. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I activated the Twenty Ten theme, disabled the mobile plugin and then I enabled PPV for the home page hoping this would more clearly demonstrate the Safari Reader bypassing PPV.

When I go to the site on my iPhone 5 only a small portion of the Chapter 1 post is displayed along with the PPV button. I then Press the Safari Reader button and all of the post is displayed.

Also you can see that with Safari, pressing the PPV button goes directly to Paypal w/o first displaying any registration login options.

I hope this helps clarify this issue.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

While this is topic has taken an unexpected path and more time that expected, my only alternative is to find another plugin. I think the only way to resolution is by demonstration. If Hakan and his management insist the problem is due to my site being hacked w/o making the effort to demonstrate that PPV works with the Safari Reader then I don't think a conference call will make a difference.

I think I have taken the steps Hakan has requested and maybe a few more to demonstrate the problem persists after stripping the site of potential plugin problems. Removing the mobile plugin is a reasonable debugging step as I'm sure PPV could not have been tested with it. In the process, I have added a secondary issue that is of concern.

I'm hoping that we are getting closer to Hakan providing a demonstration of PPV working with Safari Reader.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I reverted the site back to my theme and enabled all the plugins. Here is where things stand:

1. I have yet to see the error Hakan saw accessing my site, but I asked the hosting company if they have any clues. There is so little to go on that I don't expect them to uncover anything.
    2. The Safari Reader has a minimum of some 81 words. If I set PPV to 80 words I can make the Reader go away. In this way I can make the mobile site work like the Desk Top site.
    3. Also the Safari reader does *NOT* display all the text for all the pages as I initially reported. I insert <!--nextpage--> in the posts where I want a new page. In my case the Reader goes out and displays the first 81 words on each page . This behavior is similar to the desktop version of the site, except that with the Reader the user does not have to click on each page to get the 81 words on each page.
    4. The issue with PPV going straight to Paypal w/o attempting to first register the user persists with Safari and Firefox.

Regards,
    Larry

Tom Eagles

@tishimself

Hi there, the original support staff who responded is no longer with WPMU DEV and I am picking up his tickets. So please bear with me whilst i catch up on this thread as to where we stand.

I am running windows on my PC so am reporting my findings as I see them.

This is for the link here

http://50mpg.org/category/part-i-the-beginning/chapter-1/

If i click the PPV payment buttons i am immediately taken to Paypal for payment this appears in IE 9, Firefox and Chrome. safari for windows 5.1.7

Firefox on my android device also takes me straight to paypal.

Unfortunately i can't test via iPhone or iPad as i don't have one and safari reader for windows is no longer available.

I will tag @Timothy and @PC who i know both run iPhones and iPads and get feedback from them also.

Cheers

Tom

tishimself

Hi,

Sorry to hear that about Hakan.

There are two issues.
    1). The Safari Reader.
    a. What I have come to understand is that it goes out and grabs 81 words(my PPV config setting) off of all the pages within a post and displays them rather than just displaying the 81 words as you move from Page to page within the post. This was confusing, making me think it was pulling all the content from all the pages in the post i.e. bypassing PPV.
    b. I was looking for PPV to display the content of one of my pages within the first post but not the other pages. Maybe I could live with this, but it will display 81 words of all the pages in the book. After conducting my last test, I set "enabled on home page", but with how I have the site posts set up this changes nothing. To use PPV to do what I want, I think I need to change how I have structured the content on my "book" or skip PPV. I'm not sure how to restructure my site content.

2). I'm not sure how the PPV links to PayPal are supposed to work. Hakan pointed out an issue with the links which may indeed be a conflict with my use of the Better Wordpress Security. So are these links supposed to go directly to PayPal or are they supposed to ask the user to register b4 going to PayPal? Even if there is a conflict, I now think I first need to figure a way to restructure my content to better use PPV.

IMHO, using a security plugin like BWPS essential.

I hope this helps explain what I have been looking at over the past week or so.

And this site is not "live" as I'm trying to solution it.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

The Reader is also available in the Safari Desktop browser, but does not function the same way as on the iPhone. It does not load the first portion of all the pages, which is what lead to my confusion thinking that all the page content was being loaded bypassing PPV. I think my solution will be to use PPV to display below 81 words and avoid the Safari reader until after the person has paid.

As far as the error that Hakan was reporting, he provided precious little info to go on. However, I may know what was going on. The Better WP Security plugin has intrusion detection based on the frequency of 404's. So it may be that he got locked out by this. I think it displays the word "error" when this happens. For my part I have not had this happen, but with so little to go on this is my best guess. I'm watching out for legit 404's to fix.

Larry

PC

Hello Larry,

So how is PPV supposed to work? Does it first register the user and then open up Paypal? How does it keep track of who has paid and provide future access?

Its already mentioned in the PPV settings.

One time view : Visitors pay per content they want to reveal. Price can be set globally from the above "unit price" field, or per post basis using the post editor. Does not require registration of the visitor.

Daily Pass : Visitor pays a lumpsum fee and then he/she can view all the content on the website. Visitor is required to register to the website.

Recurring subscription : Visitor subscribes to view all the content on the website. Visitor is required to register to the website.

Cheers
    PC

tishimself

Hi,

Maybe I should reconsider.

I've never seen much value marketing to people who register w/o paying.
    If they are actually people,which seems unlikely based on the registry information.

Same issue with Pro Sites with hundreds of seemingly bogus registrants per month that added little and based on the names reflected badly on the site. Otherwise, a great plugin with tons of good stuff.

Never been a fan open registrations with WordPress; collects mostly bogus registrations. Not surprising considering the number of break-in attempts each day.

Regards,
    Larry