Pay Per View repeats request for payment

I have Pay Per View set up to sell some books. It's worked flawlessly until recently when I heard from a customer that it wasn't allowing him to confirm his payment. It simply asks for payment again.
http://escapeamericanow.info/resources/life-in-chile/

In case it's related, I'm also noticing that Chat and Ultimate Facebook won't update now. I get this - "Download failed. Failed to write request to temporary file."

Support access is activated in case it helps.

Thanks!
Joe

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @nitrous_cloud,

I can't afford $49 to test this. Does it only happen with the 1 customer? or have you tested it yourself?

With regards to the download failed.

Can you check with your host to see if the /tmp folder is writeable? or it might be full & need clearing.

Hope this helps

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

lol, I can't afford it either. :slight_smile:
    You don't have to pay it to test it. If you go through the procedure, it takes you to PayPal, then after you've finished authorizing it on the PP site, it takes you back to our site for confirmation. Only if you click on the "Confirm" button (which was the "Pay" button before) does it actually charge you.
    However, right now when you come back it simply asks you if you want to pay.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

Please do whatever is necessary so we can get it working again. It's kind of a clunky way to sell books, but it was working well. We can try another plugin, but it seems like one of the others was conflicting with our membership plugin.

Thank you
    Joe

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi again Jack,

The forum developer said he saw several errors that included the PayPerView and Facebook plugins, as well as the theme itself. I know we've seen these errors from the fb plugin before, and a couple of devs have mentioned that they saw some issues with the theme.

I had Plugin Organizer installed, but apparently something got messed up from a recent update. When I tried to fix it, the site crashed. So the plugin isn't activated now. The site's a little slower, but things seem to be working again. Can you please verify that it looks like the PayPerView plugin is working? It should reveal a contact from when paid.

Any ideas on the errors?

Thanks!!
    Joe

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks
    Yeah, we're still having issues. Apparently now it offers the opportunity to confirm the purchase, but then goes back to the pay button rather than allowing the customer to view what they paid for. We just had someone buy two books, but was unable to follow through after paying because of this. Obviously that doesn't work too well.
    Regards,
    Joe

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Joe,

Hope you're well today.

I've done some testing here and with my sandbox details it just refreshes the page, no error messages or anything, has that happened for you?

The Live details, seem to be missing the PayPal merchant email, could you add that back please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi jack,

Thanks. No, it was going to PayPal and allowing me to go through with the transaction, but then asking me to pay again when it redirected me back to the page.
    Then it changed - It would redirect me and ask me to confirm the payment, but when I confirmed, it didn't open the hidden content. It went back to the original page instead, though it still charged the customer (a bit embarrassing).
    I've put the email address back in. Any idea why that would disappear? I didn't mess with it.

Regards,
    Joe

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @Nitrous Cloud

I hope you had a great weekend!

Hmm, I cannot reproduce that while testing on my site, no matter the settings.

I may have asked yo this in another thread some time ago, but I don't recall the answer: do you have any kind of cache plugin/script running on the site that may interfere?

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Patrick,

It's possible. But nothing has been implemented in a long time, so it was working fine before. I do have Super Cache running. But if it's affecting the plugin, then something changed recently to cause a conflict.

Support access is still available, and Jack has ftp credentials. At this point, I don't even know how to check it without having to pay the fee.

Thanks,
    Joe

• Jose
    • Bruno Diaz

Hi there @Nitrous Cloud,

As my colleagues pointed about, it's being impossible to reproduce the issue and therefore impossible to debug on my end.
    Can you please indicate if this issue is happening with a particular browser, OS, or platform? Did you test using always the same browser?

Thanks,
    JJ

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi JJ,

I'm not sure how to answer this, or even test it at this point. As noted above, initially it worked great. More recently, it wouldn't even offer the customer the ability to confirm the payment. Then it started to allow the confirmation, but wouldn't open up the form that Pay Per View is hiding.
    At this point, I don't know if it's working or not, and can't be sure how to test it without having to continually pay. Since this is a client, I'd really rather not keep asking him to refund me (which gets costly anyway, since PayPal still charges a fee).
    What can you guys do to test this to see if it's working properly now?

Thanks,
    Joe

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Nitrous Cloud,

I was able to do some testing for this, and I found that the WP Super Cache plugin installed on your site was getting in the way. I've put my testing notes at the end of this post.

What I've done in the meantime, is to cook up a caching exception, using a bit of regex, and I put it in the "Strings" section under the "Advanced" tab.

This is what I put in there:

.*\?ppw_confirm.+/

Now, it may take a bit to see whether or not it'll be working on your site, due to the site having to be re-cached (see notes below).

I created a test page inside your site, called "WPMU DEV Test Product", that you can use to test the payments (your client should see some test payments in .25 cent amounts, and two test payment emails using the form he has).

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

----------------------------------------------------

NOTES FROM TESTING:

Attempt #1:

Went through the payment process the first time, clicked on the "Confirm Payment" button, and afterwards got this on the page reload:

There was a problem finalizing your purchase with PayPal. Please try again.

Attempt #2:

Was taken to the old payment page, then was asked to confirm the payment. On clicking the "Confirm Payment" button, I was directed to the new PayPal payment page, and asked to pay again.

After moving to fill out the payment details again, I was once again directed to click the "Confirm Payment" button. After I did, I got the error mentioned earlier.

Attempt #3:

Cleared the cache inside WP Super Cache, disabled WP Super Cache, and proceeded to move to pay for the product. After moving through the payment process, as in the first attempt, I was directed to confirm the payment. After doing that though, the page refreshed, but the "Pay" button was there again.

Attempt #4:

Went through the payment process again, and met with success. This time, I got the form that is supposed to show up after purchasing the product, and filled it out.

================================

I made several further attempts, and all met with success. My feeling is that it was caching some part of the transaction taking place on the site previously, which is why the order wouldn't go through correctly.

I'm also assuming that the reason why it was possible to go further in the order process later on, as mentioned here:

More recently, it wouldn't even offer the customer the ability to confirm the payment. Then it started to allow the confirmation, but wouldn't open up the form that Pay Per View is hiding.

Was because the cache had been cleared automatically by WP Super Cache, thus not having the user use cached (and at this point, invalid) checkout information.

• Nitrous Cloud
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your work on this.

Do you expect this work-around to survive future updates? Everything was working great until a couple of months ago, then an update caused issues with several plugins, including my forums, plugin manager and, of course, Pay Per View.

Thanks again!
    Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.