Pay to Blog - I have a bunch of important questions about this

Will it make all existing users have to pay?

Can I let my current bloggers keep blogging for free?

What does the "extend" option do?

Can I let certain people sign up for free?

Can I give certain people discounts?

How does the recurring option work, is it automatic without the user having to do anything?

I want to sell my blogs at different prices to different groups. Would I be able to do this by re-installing wordpressMU in a sub directory on my server and setting my prices differently on each MU install? Would that work? Is there an easier way?

Thanks
Jon

• Andrew

Hiya,

Will it make all existing users have to pay?

Yes.

Can I let my current bloggers keep blogging for free?

Yes but you will have to manually extend each blog for the time period you want the blogs to be free.

What does the "extend" option do?

It extends the period of time a blog is active. If a user pays to activate a blog for 30 days and you extend the blog 10 days it would then be active for 40 days.

Can I give certain people discounts?

I'm afraid that's not a feature at the moment.

How does the recurring option work, is it automatic without the user having to do anything?

PayPal automatically attempts to charge the user when the subscription recurs. If there is an error a notification will be sent to your site so the blog will be deactivated.

I want to sell my blogs at different prices to different groups. Would I be able to do this by re-installing wordpressMU in a sub directory on my server and setting my prices differently on each MU install? Would that work? Is there an easier way?

At the moment the Pay to Blog plugin does not allow you to charge different groups different prices.

However you can definitely install multiple WPMU instances and set different prices on each one.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• jondperry

PayPal automatically attempts to charge the user when the subscription recurs. If there is an error a notification will be sent to your site so the blog will be deactivated.

If they use a credit card on paypal instead of an actual paypal account will that cause this to fail everytime?

Do I (the WPMU owner) get a notice when an error occurs or will their blog just be shut down with no warning?

Is this the plugin you guys use on this site for subscriptions?

Sorry for the 50 questions but there was almost no documentation on the plugin download page and this is very important because it deals with people's bank accounts and my business plan depends on this stuff.

• Andrew

Hiya,

If they use a credit card on paypal instead of an actual paypal account will that cause this to fail everytime?

When you configure the Pay to Blog plugin to use the subscription option instead of the single payment option, your users have to use a PayPal account when paying. That's a requirement PayPal enforces so they have an account to associate the subscription with.

Do I (the WPMU owner) get a notice when an error occurs or will their blog just be shut down with no warning?

The blog will just be deactivated. Although you may be able to change a setting in the PayPal admin panel to have an email sent. I'm not positive though.

Is this the plugin you guys use on this site for subscriptions

We use a fairly old WP plugin called WPB-PayPal. It's no longer available so we just update/maintain it ourselves now.

Sorry for the 50 questions

No worries.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.