Pay to Blog with Supporter Plugins

I just want to make sure that I have this right before I install.

Here is my goal.
I don't want just anyone to be able to blog on my site. Preferably only serious bloggers.
If I install the Pay to Blog and make it mandatory for them to pay say $1 to create a blog.
Then with the supporter plugin, they can pay more for premium features.

Does this sound right to you?

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

While the plugins can be used together, they're not really meant to be. One problem is that you'll be charging people two ways...once for the initial pay-to-blog subscription, and again for the Supporter upgrade. That might get confusing, as each subscription has to be renewed periodically.

We just offer a free trial so people can check the system out, then they can become a paying customer via Supporter. For quota, CDN and other upgrades, we use the Upgrades plugin.

A new version of Supporter (with multiple levels) is probably a few weeks away.

HTH.

Mark

• webs
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Mark,
    Do you know if supporter 3 will have levels for sure? I read somewhere else (maybe about a month and a half ago) that it wouldn't. The post said it would be due in a couple of weeks as well but nothing so far, so maybe they're implementing levels now?

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Just to make an 'official' response, nothing has 'officially' been decided as far as level inclusion in Supporter 3.0

Basically, we originally had not planned on adding it in the 3.0 version, but it really IS one of the most requested features at the moment so we're thinking about possibly delaying the 3.0 release to include this feature.

If I can track down the thread I know Aaron was looking for everyone's feedback on whether to delay the Supporter 3.0 release.

Thanks!

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I apologize if I gave any misinformation. I was fairly certain I had seen this discussed as something that would definitely be included in Supporter 3 (in fact, it seemed like the main new feature).

I hope it can still be added, but without too much of a delay.

• mjk
    • New Recruit

wpcdn...I use Membership. People can't get blogs until they are a member and that costs. Then once they get a blog, they have the option to upgrade via supporter.

Everybody being about to get a free blog can be a headache as far as using resources, dealing with sploggers, and simply having to deal with people who aren't invested. Supporter really needs Pay to Blog optionally integrated.

But so far, Membership seems to work.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

mjk,

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on how you're doing that? I understand that Membership is designed for restricting read access to content, which we don't want to do. We just want to sell the ability to create and edit blogs, without limiting read access to any subsites or anything.

I'm assuming that you're creating a membership level that still doesn't restrict read access, but is required before someone can have their own site. I'd be interested to know how you implemented it.

And again, WPMU DEV, I apologize if I passed on any misinformation about multiple levels being a pretty sure thing in Supporter 3.0. I thought I had seen that. :slight_frown:

Thanks,

Mark

• mjk
    • New Recruit

With Membership I like that you can make ability to create blogs either negative or positive for the level. Just make your visitors (strangers) unable to create blogs until they pay. You can also specify how many blogs the member can create at whatever level (or not).

Make the sign up so only logged in users can create blogs in your network options. Users must join via Membership.

I find this more satisfactory and flexible than using Pay to Blog where you had different charges from that and the supporter.

Users pay a small fee to join, then have the option of upgrading. Members get one blog, supporters can get more.

The only thing I don't like is I'm going to have to manually upgrade supporter's memberships, and that's not convenient.

Edit: I just have a annual fee for membership...this might be problematic if you want to give the option of a monthly charge AND the supporter upgrade--then you'd have the double monthly charge. I think a small annual charge with the optional supporter status is more manageable.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

One thing to maybe think about is only allowing new users to create user accounts and not blogs. Those who buy the membership then get access to the Create Blogs page. I think there's also an user permission for being able to create blogs but I'm not in a position to do research. (On my 5 minute page load network tonight.)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.