Pay With a Like – Content Not Revealed

Hi guys –

Pay With a Like isn’t working for me on speaksheets.com (WP 3.4). On the home page, I have a bit of content hidden via Selection Tool method. I can share via the methods, but then nothing happens – no content is revealed.

I want to run a Thesis child theme from KolaKube, but have downgraded to Twenty Eleven to see if its a theme conflict, and neither themes work.

Here’s what I’ve selected via the Selection Tool:

[pwal id="11220800" description="Download the 12 Language Cheat Sheet With a Like!"]Link to 12 Language Cheat Sheet here. (if not live yet, just email info@speaksheets.com)[/pwal]

Thoughts? Thanks!

• dennisonwolfe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Hakan –

I appreciate the quick reply and the screenshot. Yes, that’s what I want to happen.

I’ve now rebooted (Macbook Air, 10.7.4), and tried it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and nothing happens. I’d expect that due the 24 hour cookie, it at least would reveal the content when I reload the page, but nothing. I’ve tried this with multiple FB, TW and G+ accounts.

OK.. still testing – I am encountering the same problems with an iPhone running Safari. I can successfully FB Like, and that shows up on the Wall, but again nothing actually happens on my PWAL page, other than the FB counter goes up one and the Like button grays out.

[Update] And I have disabled all plugins. Didn’t help.

Any of that helpful? Anything else I can try? Can I pay someone to get in my install and look around?

Thanks,

Tyler

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

I’d expect that due the 24 hour cookie, it at least would reveal the content when I reload the page, but nothing.

In fact if cookies are accepted and javascript is enabled, page should be refreshing itself.

I don’t have Mac, so I don’t know its behaviour. Is it possible to be a setting that is disabling all cookies and/or disabling javascript somewhere?

Can you run any websites with javascript?

Cheers,

Hakan

• dennisonwolfe

Hi Hakan –

Right – not only does the page not refresh itself, but when I manually refresh, the content stays locked up.

I have tried this on three browsers and a mobile browser – all of them behave the same way. So, no, I’m not disabling cookies/js across all platforms.

Yes, I don’t believe i have any problems running js anywhere else.

In fact, I just tried a couple other PWAL installs from the forums, with no problems, such as: http://cy4or.co.uk/resources/white-papers/make-another-firms-risk-your-competitive-opportunity/

And I just upgraded to WP 3.4.1, deleted Pay With a Like (1.1.0), reinstalled it, reconfigured it. I would also note that my hosting is on Windows IIS, if that makes a difference.

cheers

tyler

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Tyler,

I tried another time with Twitter, and it worked for me.

First of all this is not server dependent, because I can still use PWAL on your page, without any problem. So you don’t need to install/uninstall anything.

This must be something with your PC and/or your current location. If you are connected behind a firewall it may be blocking your likes.

You can ask a friend of yours to try it for you, but I am a friend of you and I see no problem :slight_smile:

To cross check, you can download a well known plugin like floating social and try to like from that too:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/floating-social/

Please deactivate PWAL to check this.

Cheers,

Hakan

• dennisonwolfe

Hi Hakan –

I don’t think it has anything to do with a firewall, because I’m able to see PWAL work successfully on other websites from this location. And i tried it from another wifi network this evening on my phone – same deal.

I now have Floating Social on the site, and I don’t think that is working quite right either. I have tweeted and +1’ed, and the numbers don’t go up, even when I force a reload.

Huh, I’m pretty stumped. Thinking about just trashing everything and starting over with new WP and DB, unless you have any other ideas.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Tyler,

This is a very interesting case.

I have noticed that your server is Windows, not Linux. Is that right? I have never heard that this creates a problem with Mac client, but this is the only thing that I can think of.

Can you please activate PWAL and deactivate Floating Social? I will ask my friends to test with a Mac.

BTW, Floating Social on your page works for me, as expected.

Cheers,

Hakan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Tyler,

Yes, it was indeed very tricky. It looks like your Mac has such a high security setting that it doesn’t even accept requests from different subdomains of the same domain.

As you may know, http://www.example.com and http://example.com are different subdomains.

I didn’t meet this problem, because my security settings are default, not high secure.

You already know that you need to redirect all non-www requests to the www one, because that is your preferred url in your WP settings.

Thanks for the points :slight_smile:

Take care,

Hakan

• dennisonwolfe

Thanks again, Hakan. All three of my devices (Air, iPad, iPhone) would have had to be at the same security level, and I don’t think the latter two have any sort of above-and-beyond security settings.

Still thinking about it a bit – Windows IIS definitely has routing and configuration issues that Linux doesn’t have, and either the jquery set or the plugin could be dependent on having correctly configured canonical URLs at the server level. Hmmm…. way out of my area of expertise, so I’ll leave it at that.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.