Paying someone to help and guide me on installing WP multisite

Hi, I will pay someone to guide and advise me on how to install WPMU.
Thanks.

• jamiescott

Thanks ymousley!
    I have read the manuals and some from other wensites but encountered errors during installation.

Here I come:
    - I have blank screen when tried to enable the multisite=true in wp-config.php
    - Where do I enable the wildcard subdomains? Is it in Cpanel Subdomain or do I have to set this in httpd.conf?

About the usability of Multisite
    - Can I choose to share or separate the user database between the main site and the sub sites?
    - Is there any demo on Multisite installation?

Thanks again!

• Timothy Bowers

- I have blank screen when tried to enable the multisite=true in wp-config.php

Did you enter it correctly and not just copy and paste? Should look like this:

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

And it should appear above the line "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */"

Then in the admin under "Tools" you will now find a new option "Network".

You will need to make adjustments to your .htaccess file (Instructions in the Network area) and also add a folder to /wp-content/ named "blogs.dir" this should be chmod 755 (writable)

A lazy way would be this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-multi-site-enabler-plugin-v10/

- Where do I enable the wildcard subdomains? Is it in Cpanel Subdomain or do I have to set this in httpd.conf?

This depends on your current set up, you might need your host to assist and you might find your host is unwilling.

If you have access then you will see "Simple DNS Zone Editor" and/or "Advanced DNS Zone Editor" You need to add an "A Record".

*.yourdomain.com. A YOUR-SITE-IP

If you used "Advanced DNS" then you will have TTL, that can be set at 14400. (See Screen)

- Can I choose to share or separate the user database between the main site and the sub sites?

All users are registered on your main site, on sub sites they are only assigned roles which by default would be subscriber unless you change this or the users registers for their own blog.

- Is there any demo on Multisite installation?

What are you asking for here? A demo installation? A video tutorial demo?

WordPress.com would be a good example although they have some custom stuff going on.

• ymousley

Hey there,

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

I did some of the "after" things first to ensure things would work (creating the blogs.dir directory for example). I'm running a subdirectory install, but according to the WP manual you should be able to establish a wild card domain by adding * as a subdomain through cPanel. If you're doing that, it looks like you need to point it at public_html or whatever your primary folder is where Wordpress is installed.

If you have it installed in something like site.com/blogs that might create some advanced rewrite problems, so my best advice would be to try to get it set up under the main directory.

Assuming that you are, here's what everything to do with multisite looks like in my wp-config file

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define( 'MULTISITE', true );
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );
    $base = '/';
    define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.mysite.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );

Create the *.yoursite.com subdomain first, but after you do make sure everything looks like this. If I remember correctly, I didn't have the define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true) included at first and I couldn't figure out why I had my same old single blog install.

One of those "that's all it was?" type of things, but maybe it's the culprit behind your whitescreen. Now in your case, you'd obviously want the SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL set to true, but otherwise you should be ready to go. You can also set the DEBUG portion to true if you're still getting the whitescreen to get more information on the error.

I did cheat a little on the httpd.conf thing by sending a note to my host, and they took care of that, so if you run into problems with the wildcard domains you may want to do the same to make sure things are set up properly.

On usability, I think the WPMU guys offer a separate plugin that will help with splitting databases among a certain number of blogs so things don't get bogged down.

I don't think there's a demo mode on multisite, but I have blocked search engines from all of my blogs since I'm not ready to launch them yet. You have to set that manually (I think) for each blog, but if you're still testing things out it might work for keeping accidental eyes away.

• jamiescott

Hi, yes, its in the root of the website.

This is my htaccess:

RewriteEngine off
    <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_ConfigPath /home/domainsc/public_html/php.ini
    <Files php.ini>
    order allow,deny
    deny from all
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

• Timothy Bowers

Do you actually use suPHP on your hosting/server?

This is how my .htaccess file is formatted and I use suPHP as you see:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    suPHP_ConfigPath /home/cpanel-account-name/public_html
    # uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
  • Timothy Bowers

If you have the DNS options in cPanel then no because you do it there as I explained in post above however if you are unsure or unable for any reason to make the changes needed then the best thing to do would be ask your hosting provider. Some will change it and some won't.

But if the sub-domain is directing into your root install and you get an infinite loop then chances are it is a htaccess issue, just because my htaccess works for me doesn't mean it will work for others.

If you install again and hit the same barrier then I would personally speak with your host and get them to chip in because they will be familiar with the server environment set up.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.