Payment for Monthly Membership

I have a Networking membership ($10 per month).

Is this done better as an Indefinite or serial process.

I want it so they can join up and pay monthly and stop at any time.

If I have:
Serial
1 month
$11 per month

vs

Indefinite
1 month
$11 per month

do I get what I intended or can they stop either at any time ?

The terminology is not clear about the difference.

Thanks.

• PC

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for posting on the forums. I hope you are well today.

Is this done better as an Indefinite or serial process.

If its a recurring charge, it should be serial. If its indefinite, they will only be charged once and stay on that level forever.

So go with

Serial
    1 month
    $11 per month

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

I found out last night that people who wanted to sign up to my Networking Opportunities membership - are not able to.

When they sign in they are just seeing the Protected Content page.

I am getting this myself in my "subscriptions" test user (I can give you the password to test it).

Can you (or someone) help please to figure out why my PAO Community (ie BP / Membership) members are not able to sign up to another membership.

Thanks.

Access is available.

• aristath

Hello again Karen, I hope you're well today!

As I've mentioned to you on numerous occasions, positive rules (which is what you're using on your "Access to BuddyPress Area" access rule which is used by the PAO subscription) allow access to ONLY the pages you specify on the list of positive rules.
    Since on that list you have not allowed your users access to the registration page, it stands to reason that they will not be able to access that page.
    Please add ALL the areas that you want them to be able to access on that list.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Karen

Ari

Thanks but that was not the issue.

(I understand your frustration with my questions..but bear with me, I just want the site to work and I get very frustrated at this end too with asking specific questions and getting either different answers or ones that don't work. FYI. :slight_smile:

PS You are all very helpful. I appreciate it (truly I do). I just get very crabby when things don't work, aren't explained and I cannot for the life of me figure them out (eg the horrible Membership plugin).

In this case, Michael Bisset managed to solve it.

The issue (as I understand it) was that the people who registered but had NO access levels or subscriptions (eg Job Managers and whoever else ended up in that no man's land) were like "lost subscribers" belonging NOWHERE.

Michael created a Visitor Subscription which very neatly solved the issue.

I am not sure why but the PAO community members are able to sign up for the Networking Opportunities membership AND get access to all areas of the site (as they should) as members WITHOUT each (darn) page being listed in the POSITIVE rule - but they DO. It now WORKS.

I am (desperately - hence the peppering of so many questions) trying to understand the logic/rationale/ whatever it is behind this monster of a plugin that defies any logic I understand.

May I (respectfully) suggest you talk to Michael about what he worked out - as his solution works..that's all I can say.

Hopefully we all end up educated as a result of what he found wasn't working and how to fix it.

I am just glad it is sorted and I can get on to the next issue to be solved.

Thanks. Over and out.

regards,
    Karen

• Karen

OK - another (related) issue.

I just checked on a member (in Membership dashboard) - the only one who has been able to sign up for the Networking Opportunities membership - and she has been dumped from her original sign up (PAO Community membership) to just the new one.

This is going to be an issue....

Can they not have more than one membership at a time?

The idea is that they have PAO Membership indefinitely AND they join other memberships to extend their experience with the website and some of those extended features will be additional memberships that provide other features.

I am sure she didn't "leave" PAO Community: I think that happened automatically as a result of her joining the Networking Membership.

I might be wrong but shouldn't the various memberships operate as optional things you can sign up for or not (as per the Membership plugin videos which use Chinese/Japanese cooking classes as examples?

They (the types of cooking) are not "levels" to work through. They are just like the different memberships my people can sign up to as they wish. (aren't they?) (PS Once this is working, I want to have memberships for a range of different offerings eg online courses, access to e-books etc).

In that case, why was she removed from PAO Community. She should have both in my view. (Yes I just checked in membership and she is only in Networking membership (which is paid) and has lost PAO community membership (which is free).

How do I fix please? Thanks.
    ***as per my membership tab***
    [ 2014-05-23 : 21:43 ] Roslyn has left level Access to BuddyPress Area on subscription Sign Up to our PAO Community

[ 2014-05-23 : 21:43 ] Roslyn has joined level Access to Networking Events on subscription Subscription - Networking Opportunities

[ 2014-05-23 : 17:44 ] Roslyn Walker has joined level Access to BuddyPress Area on subscription Sign Up to our PAO Community

• PC

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for posting back.

I understand your frustration with my questions..but bear with me, I just want the site to work and I get very frustrated at this end too with asking specific questions and getting either different answers or ones that don't work. FYI.

I totally understand that. I really do feel the same sometimes when I am using 3rd party products and believe me even we need to get support at times. No-one knows everything.

But the only thing I want to explain here is keeping a single issue on a single thread. That is the only thing that causes confusion, delay and takes a thread in a different direction all together.

For example, if we talk about this thread, it started with a different question "Which subscription should I use, single or indefinite?"

Now as you can yourself notice, the thread has gone away from the original question which was answered in the first response itself :slight_smile:

So the second question itself should have gone on a new thread. I am sorry to say that but I notice this on most of your threads and believe me it is the biggest reason for confusion. Having multiple threads for the same issue or having multiple issues on a same thread, both should be avoided. It will help both of us. You and the support team !

I hope you understand that :slight_smile: Sorry for asking you to do any extra work but that is needed to keep things simple and getting the issues sorted out !

The issue (as I understand it) was that the people who registered but had NO access levels or subscriptions (eg Job Managers and whoever else ended up in that no man's land) were like "lost subscribers" belonging NOWHERE.

Michael created a Visitor Subscription which very neatly solved the issue.

I know that the Membership manual needs more adjustments, but this is something clearly mentioned in there : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Manual3450.pdf

Page 13 Of 72 talks about it.

As soon as you create a subscription for visitors, you can choose what they can access and what they can't !

I have however sent a note to @Michael Bissett to point out if he has fixed anything which is not documented or is a bug. He should be around soon :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• Karen

Thanks for your patience and explanation PC.

So the second question itself should have gone on a new thread. I am sorry to say that but I notice this on most of your threads and believe me it is the biggest reason for confusion.

Sorry - Part of the issue is that finding my own questions using the dashboard is not clear - they weren't listing everything and the only way to follow it was to use the email trail. Since being given the internal link I can see my issues more clearly and use that a lot.

Apologies for causing more confusion. I am usually working on a number of areas of the site and post quite a few issues that need to be sorted.

I know that the Membership manual needs more adjustments, but this is something clearly mentioned in there : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Manual3450.pdf

Page 13 Of 72 talks about it.

Thanks. I just re-read it. (I have read the manual AND seen the videos MANY times) - it gets you nowhere.

The manual (and those pages in particular) are mud-like in their "clarity". Sorry but that IS the issue. Nonsensical words that mean nothing to the reader (it might be clear to you, maybe) but it is NOT to people like me. Sorry again to be the bearer of bad news. (I am not alone in complaining about the manual.)

A big part of the issue is the loose use of terminology "stranger" "visitor" "subscriber" etc and NO (clear) indication of what is what.

Even now, after seeing Michael's solution, I can not map that to the manual (having just re-read it). PLEASE give it to the usability expert that I was told was employed to fix Membership - he might be able to explain to the IT people there why we Users are struggling so much with it.

FYI:

eg what the heck does this mean:

(free as in you give it them for free. Not free as in Stranger Level free).
    It is ludicrious. It means nought.

Take:

User Registration
    You can choose to assign a default subscription when signing up, this of course would be a free option because your members would bypass the payment options.
    Note: Because a user is automatically assigned a subscription then they would never be redirected to the welcome page. If you want them to see the welcome page, they would need to signup to the subscription like they would any with any other I.e select the subscription they want and signup. So in that instance you would set this to none

What the HELL does this mean?

Forget the manual...it does not help. The only option with an operational site is to post questions to get the answers.

Sorry, but that is the reality. (I would gladly get out of your hair and use a manual if it was any good, but it's not.)

I will AIM to start a new post for each issue. Someone might have to remind me when I am off course enough that a new post is required. Happy to be advised when that is appropriate.

Thanks for the update and your view. Appreciated.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Karen,

Just chiming in here, since my colleague PC (@Mac) called me to this thread.

To touch on this:

Your understanding of this is correct, but there's a bit more to it. The thing is, when users are creating an account using the job creation form, they're basically bypassing Membership.

When you go to sign up for a subscription, you create an account, and then you go to pay for the subscription (or you'll get a screen offering the ability to upgrade to a higher level subscription, if they're signing up for a free subscription)

But when they use the job creation form to create an account, there's no subscription assigned to them by default, only an account gets created. The fix I used solves the problem by assigning them a default subscription when they sign up like this (fix quoted below, for others curious about it):

I went in and created a Visitor Subscription, attached the Visitor level to that, set the Mode to "Indefinite", and activated it (without making it public, of course; you can do this by checking the box for the subscription, and selecting "Toggle activation" from the Bulk Actions drop-down menu).

After that, I went into the Membership Options, and set "Use Subscription" to the Visitor Subscription I created earlier.

Hope this clears up the matter. :slight_smile:

As PC said, we'd like to keep the other issues in their own threads, so I'll be marking this one as resolved, as we've solved your earlier question.

Have a great day!

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.