Payment Gateway

Hi - If we set up an "Etsy style network" of stores, does each site enter their own payment gateway, or do all transactions go through the master payment gateway (ours)? We plan to take a % of each transaction.

Also, does each site administer their own store, such as issuing refunds?

And do you have a demo we can test from the backend/admin side?

Thanks

hpidriver

Each site will administer their own store, and will only see orders for their store. As the Network Super Admin, you also have admin access to all stores.

When Global Cart is enabled, each site uses their own Paypal account (business/premier/pro) to accept payment. You cannot take a % of each transaction using Global Cart.

When Global Cart is disabled, meaning that each store has its own individual cart and checkout process, you can choose which payment gateways your stores will have access to use. The store will then enter their own credentials for whatever payment gateway they pick from the available options.

In order to automatically take a % of each sale, you must disable the Global Cart, and you must use Paypal Chained Payments. Each store will use their own paypal address (again, has to be a business account) and gets paid directly. Your commission gets paid directly from the store that made the sale. In order to use the Paypal Chained Payments you will have to be approved for an App ID over at https://www.x.com/

aecnu

Greetings aheart,

Thank you for the great questions in which it appears as though hpidriver has gone ahead and answered them with a very good explanation.

Regarding the demo, this would be extremely tough to make one since not only would the chained payments setup need to be instituted by a separate demo for each payment gateway and configuration possibility which is way beyond the scope of the support that we provide here.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

aheart

Thanks hpidriver & Joe! Much appreciated.

Regarding chained payments, our concern is merchant reputation. IE. We don't want a few bad merchants ruining our payment gateway reputation and causing issues for all the other users/merchants. We also don't want to administer each merchant account and deal with issues like customer service, refunds, etc.

It sounds like we would get the commission paid from each merchant, so in the event there are issues with that one merchant, Paypal might terminate their merchant account but it wouldn't necessarily affect ours or the rest of our merchants?

Also, regarding the demo, I would just like a "demo" of the marketpress admin so I can poke around the admin interface and see what it's capable of doing. Is that available?

Thanks!

aecnu

Greetings aheart,

Thank you for the additional input and thought provoking post.

We don't want a few bad merchants ruining our payment gateway reputation and causing issues for all the other users/merchants. We also don't want to administer each merchant account and deal with issues like customer service, refunds, etc.

This is truly a great consideration and foresight, but using Chained Payments will directly expose their own account and I would think not impact your merchant account in any way, shape, or form.

It sounds like we would get the commission paid from each merchant, so in the event there are issues with that one merchant, Paypal might terminate their merchant account but it wouldn't necessarily affect ours or the rest of our merchants?

Agreed that it should not have any impact on your folks account and reputation or those of your clients - just the bad apple so to speak.

Also, regarding the demo, I would just like a "demo" of the marketpress admin so I can poke around the admin interface and see what it's capable of doing. Is that available?

There is no demo that I am aware of that allows this, but of course you could always setup a site to use as a demo.

Market Press can be simple or complex depending on configuration to include which screens are shown and are available.

In a MultiSite setting the screens change just depending on which gateways are chosen to allow and there are many other items to influence the outcome.

In my opinion the only way to truly get a feel for Market Press is to set it up and dive right in, but feet first

Cheers, Joe