Payment gateway setup for dummies

Hi again!

As I mentioned before, I have a second question:

I have a membership-based training site with three tiers of membership:

- Free
- Premium
- Pro

For the 'free' membership, I don't want the user to see a PayPal button at all, lest it scare them away. For the 'Premium' and 'Pro' memberships, I have enabled both of the PayPal Add-Ins for membership (i.e. '...with Single Payments' and '...with Subscriptions'), and I'm hoping to allow users to choose whichever they prefer.

I am currently using PayPal sandbox mode to test the site.

I have several questions:

(a) When I click the button for 'Single Payments', the PayPal process works fine, and takes me all the way to the PayPal 'transaction complete' page, but no further. The user level is NOT added to the user. Is this a limitation of the sandbox, or is something not working properly?

(b) When I click the button for 'Subscriptions', the PayPal payment process throws up an error, saying that an 'invalid button' was used to access the page. Any ideas what could cause this?

(c) Since my Free membership level requires no payment, I don't want my users to see a PayPal button, because this implies that they will be required to give their credit card information. Is there a way to create a link to sign up for the Free subscription using an arbitrary button graphic?

Your help is much appreciated!

Adam

• DavidM

Hi Adam,

(a) When I click the button for 'Single Payments', the PayPal process works fine, and takes me all the way to the PayPal 'transaction complete' page, but no further. The user level is NOT added to the user. Is this a limitation of the sandbox, or is something not working properly?

That sounds like it could be related to the subscription setup though it'd help to know which versions of WordPress and Membership you're using here to start with.

And with that, could you provide a screenshot(s) of one of these Subscription Plans?

(b) When I click the button for 'Subscriptions', the PayPal payment process throws up an error, saying that an 'invalid button' was used to access the page. Any ideas what could cause this?

Could you let us know where exactly that Subscriptions option is you're referring to? Is it at PayPal itself?

(c) Since my Free membership level requires no payment, I don't want my users to see a PayPal button, because this implies that they will be required to give their credit card information. Is there a way to create a link to sign up for the Free subscription using an arbitrary button graphic?
    Your help is much appreciated!

You can change the button image by going to Membership > Payment Gateways and selecting to Edit the Free Gateway.

Thanks,
    David

• adamohern

I guess I must be really confused about how this is actually supposed to work. Is there a good tutorial that actually explains how subscription plans work? I've looked around, and can't seem to find anything much better than the Installation guide.

Adam

EDIT-----------

For example, I can't even figure out how to allow my users to upgrade from one membership level to another. Whenever I sign a user up under the 'Free' membership, the 'join' page just says it's 'already a member', and therefor can't sign up for a paid membership. And if I go to the 'Account' page, it just says pretty much the same thing. How do I provide an upgrade path?

Adam

• DavidM

Hi Adam,

The upgrade path would depend on the setup. If you've got a Free member (who's on the Free gateway), that member will be provided with upgrade options to paid Subscriptions depending on the time frame you've set in Membership > Options (there's some time settings at the bottom of the page there).

I'm not sure what you mean about manually creating a PayPal button that activates an account automatically though. That process would require the user agreeing to the purchase so it generally would take some sort of confirmation.

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.