Payment Options Membership 2.0

We recently upgraded to Membership 2.0 and found some issues with the way our membership payment methods where initially set up.

Our initial membership levels where set up with a 1 time payment for infinite access. However we meant to set them up with an annual fee/membership renewal after 1 year.

In membership 2.0 it is much more clear how to set these payment options but when I changed the following I am getting the message "This membership already has some paying members. Any changes will affect new invoices but not existing ones." Is there a way around this? Most of our member renewals will be coming up in January of this year and I want to get this buttoned down before we have any issues.

Thanks,
William

• Anang

Hi William

Thanks for contacting us :slight_smile:

when I changed the following I am getting the message "This membership already has some paying members. Any changes will affect new invoices but not existing ones." Is there a way around this? Most of our member renewals will be coming up in January of this year and I want to get this buttoned down before we have any issues.

Are you want to change your payment options on Membership 2 pro ? The payment options that you made will only applied to new members, not existing members. So your old members still get your old invoice.

So could you tell me what's the problem with this scheme ? Are you want to apply payment changes to all existing members too ?

Please advise :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• Anang

Hi William

Thanks for contacting us :slight_smile:

when I changed the following I am getting the message "This membership already has some paying members. Any changes will affect new invoices but not existing ones." Is there a way around this? Most of our member renewals will be coming up in January of this year and I want to get this buttoned down before we have any issues.

Are you want to change your payment options on Membership 2 pro ? The payment options that you made will only applied to new members, not existing members. So your old members still get your old invoice.

So could you tell me what's the problem with this scheme ? Are you want to apply payment changes to all existing members too ?

Please advise :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• William

WOW.... First off... Terrible grammar! Second, did you even read my post.

Yes I want to change the payment options on Membership 2 pro.

The payment options that you made will only applied to new members, not existing members. So your old members still get your old invoice.

I already understand this and that's why I'm asking for a workaround...

I want the change to effect existing members as an annual membership is what they thought they where signing up for initially.

Please re-read my first comment.

Thanks,
    William

• Tyler Postle

Hey William,

Hope you're doing well today!

What you could do here is manually set an expiry date for each of the existing users memberships by going to: Membership 2 > All members > Subscription details(hover over a member to reveal this link) - then you can adjust the expiry date as seen in my screenshot.

After that you can create a new bill/invoice via: Membership 2 > Billing. You can add similar details to that of my screenshot. Make sure the status is "New".

Then find that bill in your "Billing" section and send the link to the user. They can then pay the bill their and it will extend their membership 1 year from the expiry you set earlier and should also create a subscription for them so you don't need to keep doing this.

I tested this with stripe and it looks to have worked for me. Keep in mind, normally you wouldn't change the existing members subscriptions - this is just a workaround that does appear to work.

Alternatively, you could remove their memberships after a year and have them re-subscribe normally through the /memberships/ page.

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. English is Anang's second language by the way. So he may not have the best grammar but he sure knows his way around WordPress and code! I hope to one day be as good of a coder as he is :smiley:

• William

Hi Tyler,

Doing the first method you mentioned would I have to go into each and every member and do this individual?

I have close to 150 members all who registered on different dates. The paid members are the ones I don't want to piss of or screw up their memberships/renewals. I have 65 Professional members and 11 associate members who are my paid members. Some should have already expired (but because of our initial set up still have access) and some wont expire till later this year and early next year.

The second way you mentioned above seems like both of the "should be expired" and not expired members would become expired and this would force everyone to renew/re-subscribe. Is this accurate?

Like I said above I want to transition this as smoothly as possible for my paid members.

Thanks, William

Sorry for jumping all over @Anang for his poor grammar. I know mine is not perfect and I think he just caught me in a bad/frustrated mood and I took it out on the wrong person. Sorry.

Thanks for the support!

• Tyler Postle

No problem William! Thanks for the reply.

Doing the first method you mentioned would I have to go into each and every member and do this individual?

Yes, you would need to do it individually for each member. Just the one-time as they would be re-subscribing to the recurring plan - so the following year you shouldn't need to do it again.

The second way you mentioned above seems like both of the "should be expired" and not expired members would become expired and this would force everyone to renew/re-subscribe. Is this accurate?

You would only remove memberships to the "should be expired" members. Then they would need to renew. You could send them an email with a coupon or something like that to explain the situation and entice them to renew.

You would still need to manually remove the membership from each user; however, it would be faster since you wouldn't need to create the invoice like in the first method.

Hope that clears things up, if you still have questions on it just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. I think the first option would probably be smoother for your members since you could send them each the link to pay the invoice; however, it's definitely more time consuming.

• William

Hi @Tyler Postle,

I went with the first option however when I reactivated each member the system sent out a very confusing email... If anyone is going to proceed with this process in the future I would recommend turning that setting off somehow. I had to send out an additional email to all my members telling them to disregard the previous one.

Also the new version of M2 dose not work with the wpmudev e-Newsletter plugin for sending out email to different membership groups (this feature worked with M1). Anyways... that was a whole other issue I had to problem solve :slight_frown:

I was very disappointed in this entire M2 update.

Thanks for your support and helping me this figured out.

William

• Tyler Postle

Hey William,

Sorry about that, my mistake :slight_frown: I should have mentioned that you can stop all emails temporarily. If you visit:

Membership 2 > Help > Advanced Settings. There is a constant there you can use to stop emails:

define( "MS_STOP_EMAILS", true );

You can add that to your wp-config.php when making manual membership changes, then remove it when you want emails going out again.

Also the new version of M2 dose not work with the wpmudev e-Newsletter plugin for sending out email to different membership groups (this feature worked with M1). Anyways... that was a whole other issue I had to problem solve :slight_frown:

This should be working correctly, is it still not working for you? Let us know then we can have a look.

Hope you're having a good weekend William.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.