Paypal Advanced with Recurring Payment Option

Ok, so wondering if I can use a Paypal Advanced plan with the Membership plugin?

The Paypal gateway option says express…

Here’s the rub if Membership only supports Paypal Express:

A buyer must have -or be willing to create- a Paypal account. While Paypal is common, not everyone will either have, want to create, or want to use their Paypal. Perhaps the credit card they want to pay with is a business card which is not connected to – and never will be – their Paypal account.

Paypal Advanced offers the option of just straight credit card payment – no paypal account in the mix.

Lastly, w/o the Recurring payments option, Paypal will NOT process recurring payments for subscriptions purchased using a credit card. It will only auto bill/renew if the user opted to go through their Paypal account…

Thoughts?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MScott821,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention.

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available – but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there’s a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Pro:

Paypal Advanced offers the option of just straight credit card payment – no paypal account in the mix.

Con:

Lastly, w/o the Recurring payments option, Paypal will NOT process recurring payments for subscriptions purchased using a credit card. It will only auto bill/renew if the user opted to go through their Paypal account.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• lujeffcoat
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

+1

I really hate that this plugin relies so heavily on PayPal. I personally rarely use paypal to make online purchases and never like when I am forced to. It’s the one thing holding me back from really moving forward with this plugin. I am okay with using PayPal on the backend to credit affiliates for their commissions, but on the front end, I would love to see a custom solution allowing commisions, and allowing credit card processing without using Paypal. I use Intuit Quickbooks, and am now forced to use multiple gateways to track my banking. It can be quite a headache. Thanks for your consideration.

• MScott821
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Lujeffcoat – I hear you.

I don’t mind PP as the gateway – but it is a SIGNIFICANT issue that we must use PP Express, which – not to be a dead horse – forces the consumer to have a paypal account or create one even if they are to just use a Credit card…

Big problem if selling to a business!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Folks,

Though I am totally in favor of additional gateways, I have relied on PayPal to take clients money since 1998 and would trade them for nothing.

The banks and nobody else can even come close to PayPal.

I have used my PayPal debit card at cash machines in Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Germany, Holland, Ecuador and you want to know what the total transaction fee was for any of those places regardless of the amount I drew out?

One Dollar – Bank of America, National City (now defunct) PNC etc. cannot even begin to compete with PayPal.

In 1998 I still owned a small chain of three computer stores – we accepted PayPal and our clients used it.

So though I can see the point for more gateways, and yes I can accept credit cards by phone, email, etc. and manually upgrade an account, PayPal has been there for me every time no matter where in the world I was at and I would not give them up for anything.

Have a GREAT New Year Folks and thank you all for being WPMU DEV Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Louise,

Thanks for your post and letting us know you have fixed this.

Have you got the recurring payments working with PayPal advanced ? If yes that is a great news.

I have sent this to our lead developer @eugene Manuilov for his review and feedback :slight_smile:

If all goes well, you got yourself a few rep points, not only from me but also from a lot of our other members :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.