Paypal and multiple commerce sites

Hi, please can someone clarify for me.

I am in the middle of installing several separate multisites with Marketpress installed along with Pro sites. Each on independent domains.

Is my understanding correct in that I will have trouble with Paypal express payments completing correctly if I am using the same email (paypal account) on each of the different domains?

Or

Does Pro sites or Marketpress notify Paypal of the return url so that transactions complete in full and correctly? If so, do I need to create a return page or does Marketpress or Pro site handle this?

NB: Apologies, I would test this for an answer but I am not far enough with the install to checkout completely yet.

• harryhayes
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Timothy

So that is yes?

If I have multiple Market press installations on different domain with Pro sites but using the same paypal email, I will need to follow the step above.

Or in other words, Pro sites will not auto handle this for each site?

Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

I am 100% sure it will know which site to send the IPN too since it knows which site the IPN came from.

It is encoded in the ipn call itself from the script and yes you can use the same paypal email address.

Just make sure that IPN is turned on in PayPal and that something is in the return address.

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings harryhayes :slight_smile:

well on PayPal in the profile section under the IPN Setting – you need to have a return url of some kind even though it will be certainly over-ridden by the script making the IPN call to PayPal.

Log into your PayPal account and go to –>Profile –>My Selling Tools –>Instant Paymeny Notifications –> Update

Make sure IPN is turned on and in “Notification URL” you have a URL of some kind i.e. http://www.oneofyoursites.com

when the IPN comes from http://www.adifferentsiteofyours.com it should return to http://www.adifferentsiteofyours.com regardless of what is set in the “Notification URL”

Hundreds of scripts on dozens of sites and it has not failed me yet to send the IPN to the right site :slight_smile:

• harryhayes

Hi Joe

Thank you very much. It is amazing how much can fall into place with a few right words.

I have been struggling for the last week and finally things are beginning to make sense. :slight_smile:.

I have gifted a few points, not many i’m afraid as I don’t have a lot. I might need these for further bribes. lol

• harryhayes

Hi Again.

Sadly I am between a rock and a hard place once more.

I confirm everything Joe was saying above is correct and cite below, an extract from Paypal to confirm this;

‘In the PayPal account there can only be one return URL set. This is a global setting meaning it will be used when no other value is submitted. Most shopping carts submit their own return URL with the checkout. This value will be used rather than the one set up in the account. It is therefore no problem to run more than one shop through a PayPal account’.

However, the link Tim has mentioned above, is also mentioned at the bottom of the Pro Sites plugin installation page at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/installation/

extract.

‘Advanced: If you need to run Pro Sites on multiple WP installs but with the same PayPal account, you will need to setup an IPN forwarding script. This is due to limitations in the PayPal APIs regarding subscriptions and only being able to set one IPN url in PayPal settings. Instructions for this can be found here’.

Now I am back to square one as it seem Pro sites does and does not automatically handle API’s.

I am erring towards Joe’s answer due to Paypal’s statement above but cannot be certain if this information has been specifically stated on the Pro Sites page.

Could anyone clarify if Pro sites does in fact set the return url and if so, it might be worth updating the Pro Sites page to reflect this.

Nick

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick :slight_smile:

I am 99.9% sure that Pro Sites will return the IPN correctly due to the previous Supporter Plugin which Pro Sites is a replacement/upgrade thereof ….. will work the same.

The key to PayPals statement is this:

This is a global setting meaning it will be used when no other value is submitted.

Now I cannot imagine WPMU going backwards on the new Pro Site Plugin though admittedly have yet to prove it myself since I have not actively activated the Pro Sites Version – however, though they did not mention previously with the supporter plugin, it did in fact correctly return the IPN.

Of course you can test this too by setting up the plugin and running a test to see if it in fact upgrades the user after payment :slight_smile:

Then refund it back to your test PayPal Account :slight_smile:

PS: Thank you for the Gift – it is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

• harryhayes

Hi, Joe,

I thought as much and trusted your provious comments.

It is a little misleading on the Pro sites installation page where it says specifically;

‘Advanced: If you need to run Pro Sites on multiple WP installs but with the same PayPal account, you will need to setup an IPN forwarding script. This is due to limitations in the PayPal APIs regarding subscriptions and only being able to set one IPN url in PayPal settings. Instructions for this can be found here’.

I just wondered if they know something we don’t.

You are right, I need to test this but I am so stuck with other issues I can’t even get that far at the moment.

I think I will proceed as planned and test it when I can, I was just hoping Wpmu dev would comment on this statement for clarity.

Thanks one again

Nick

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.