PayPal Authorization & Capture in MarketPress

We're setting up a new online shop at the minute and an Authorisation & Capture function is essential for how it's going to work. I was hoping it would be reasonably straight forward to set up, but apparently not! From what I gather I'd need to write a bit of code for each 'Buy Now' button that lets PayPal know how much it needs to authorize which seems like an over complicated solution. Do we have the power to make changes to the 'checkout' button on MarketPress?

Has anyone else tried to set up something like this on MarketPress? I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but this is the only decent solution I've found that will let us hold payments until we can confirm we have stock. I think Google Checkout do a similar thing automatically, but I wouldn't like that to be the only option our customers have.

I've searched through the forums looking for other people with the same issue but couldn't find anything, hope this isn't a duplicate topic.

Any help or alternative solutions would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Eddy

http://www.holyroodarchitecturalsalvage.com

More info from PayPal: https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/pdf/PP_AuthCapture_IntegrationGuide.pdf

• Patrick

Hiya @HAS

Welcome to the forums!

Yup, the only other pertinent thread I found on this topic is here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/does-fundraising-use-paypal-adaptive-payments

Do we have the power to make changes to the 'checkout' button on MarketPress?

That would seem to be the key question :slight_smile: And it would make more sense from the buyer's point of view (IMO) to hold the order until all items can be shipped. Personally, I don't like it when sellers ship partial orders, and then follow-up weeks later with what was missing from the original order :slight_frown:

As for coding that function into the checkout process, it should be possible, but that would fall outside the scope of the support that we provide here.

We do try to help whenever we can, and if we know the answer will respond regardless. So, on that note, I'll flag the plugin developer to see if he can provide some insight into this.

Then again, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute. Or you could approach someone like Tweaky.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• HAS

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated!

The only real reason that we want to delay payments is that everything we sell is one-of-a-kind and also for sale in our showroom. There's only a very slim chance that something would sell online and then in here straight after (or vice-versa), but it's something we have to consider.

If that does happen I'd much rather the customer hadn't parted with any money, I know I'd be annoyed if that happened to me.

So really, we don't even need all the functionality that Auth & Cap offers, just the ability to have a customer put their payment details in, then we either accept or decline - no partial payments or any of that funny business. This is why I thought it would be a fairly straight forward thing to achieve, I was expecting to just look through the PayPal menus and find the option there. As if!

I appreciate the fact that this might be a custom job, it always bugs me when people come to forums and expect people to just do things for them so no problem with that. I was actually looking on some of the 'find a freelancer' websites yesterday, I didn't realise you had your own.

Even if you can point me in the direction of where I'd start to fiddle with the checkout button I'd be able to get an idea if it's something within my ability or not.

I was only sticking to PayPal because I thought it would be the easiest, going to start looking at the other options and see if any of them have any auth/cap features built in.

Again, many thanks for the response

Eddy

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.