paypal connection problems/chained payments

I have a multisite network using marketpress 2.83 and TT Frontend marketpress. I have an approved app ID from paypal for chained payments and the live credentials. I already tested in the sandbox successfully. When I do a live test purchase, I use a non related (not one connected to me in any way) paypal email address as primary receiver(network store) I have tried doing a test purchase from both a logged in user and a non logged in customer and always get the paypal error code There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.

550001 - User is not allowed to perform this action

I have contacted paypal several times and they have assured me that my app Id and live credentials are ok. The application is conditionally approved. Even so, paypal has stated that my credentials are ok for my request of using chained payments.
I was told my x.com after my approval came through to put my live credentials not only in the live area of network settings but also in the sandbox credential boxes. I have tried making a test purchase with my live credentials in the sandbox credential area and have tried with the actual sandbox credentials in sandbox. I have received the same error code regardless. Which is the correct procedure?

Paypal has asked me to give them the raw api data from the request and response to investigate further. I don't know how to do that. I understand there is some code to add to get the raw data but unsure of exact code and where exactly to put it? What could be the reason I keep getting the error code and no connection to paypal? and How can I retrieve the raw api data to give to paypal for their investigation?

One other related question about multisite and chained payments. My main site will not be participating in selling items and will not need a seller paypal address in the store settings. Do I leave this blank or will that cause problems? What about the setting of live vs. sandbox? How should it be set if anything? I have tried all scenarios and I still get the usual can't connect to paypal errors.

Thank you

• Leslie

Hi Jack,
    I'm using 3.5.1 Wordpress and 2.8.4 Marketpress.
    Below are the warnings I have when I turn on debug in wordpress. Is that what you are referring to when asking for error log?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-base.php:24) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 90

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-base.php:24) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php on line 882

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-base.php:24) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 876

• Leslie

I disabled wp-super cache and unfortunately it did not resolve the issue. Here is what is in my .htacess file.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Leslie,

Thank you for the details.

It appears there is quite a few problems.

1: There's a 500 internal server error to do with the TT front-end add-on.

2: I logged in but I'm afraid I couldn't check anything as your admin was a just list and the odd image (see attaches screenshot), I tried across multiple browsers and computers and it was the same on all, does this work for you?

3: Are you using Theme My Login? In my experience this does cause a few issues.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Leslie

The only time I get a weird display of the site is if I log in on my phone so I'm wondering if I need a plugin to help with displaying on a mobile device. I am using My Theme Login but want to keep it if possible as it provides my sub site stores a link to their store from the mainsite. I haven't found another way to do that. I'm not sure what to do about the 500 internal server error with TT Frontend add on. Did you log in on a mobile device? I was able to log in and work on the site today with no problems. What should be my next step?

• Leslie

Yes, just very recently. In fact it seemed to first happen after I disabled wp-super cache. Could there be a connection? It also has been displaying correctly some days and not on others so i thought it was happening because I was logged onto a rather weak wi fi while on a hotel internet connection this past week. Another thing that happened just two days ago is that I can't log into the remote server via ftp anymore. I'm wondering if there is a problem with my host. I'll check into that. Any other ideas on what I should do next.

• Miss B Hayving

Leslie I know this doesn't help you right now... but I can soooo recommend Hostgator.

They have 24 hour live chat and fix most things on the fly... they've even setup caching plugins for me in the past.

I have the same initial op issue with the paypal error saying:

There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.
    520003 - Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect.

• Leslie

Miss B, Thanks for your advice on hosts.

Jack,
    I am up and running again. Host(dreamhost) reset things so i can log into server. I was able to log in again to site. I'll check into my security measures to figure out the locked out situation, however I do want to work some more on the paypal issue.

Thank you so much for being patient and staying with me on this. Today when I successfully logged in, the admin display is back to normal except that all of the text is purple and links are transparent after I click on them. Everything is functional so I'm thankful for that. My paypal issue is still haunting me and is my number one priority. Have you been able to gain any insight into it since last we talked?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Leslie

I hope you are well today.

Regarding the PayPal issue, there's a few things.

Is your PayPal account verified? i.e where they charge your card or bank account and you input the numbers into PayPal.

Can you double check that you have entered the correct APP settings and that you created the APP correctly when setting it up.

I always believed that you couldn't process chained payments till a app was full approved and not just conditionally, could you check that with PayPal support??

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Leslie

Hi Jack,

yes, I have a verified business account. Paypal checked my credentials and my APP ID and said all was ok on their side so they could not figure out why I couldn't connect. They requested that I send them the RAW request and response data to check into it further. They know that my account is conditionally approved and said it was fine for live calls to be made. I'm pretty sure I put in all the credentials correctly into the marketpress settings area. I did have success with sandbox calls. I've checked over and over and tried different scenarios just in case.

Paypal has requested that I send them RAW DATA. (See their request below)

Could you give me guidance as to how to get this data from marketpress? I have learned online that there is some sort of code to input somewhere but I am unsure of what code and where exactly to input it.
    Thanks, Leslie

Paypal Request:

Please respond with the RAW API Request and Response so I may investigate this further Please remove any Password/Signature or Live Credit Card information from the request: Example Requests Below:

Request Example:
    USER=test_api1.domain.com&PWD=xxxxx&SIGNATURE=xxxxx&METHOD=DoDirectPayment&VERSION=53.0&AMT=10.00&PAYMENTACTION=Sale&IPADDRESS=127.0.0.1&CREDITCARDTYPE=Visa&ACCT=4111111111111111&EXPDATE=012013&FIRSTNAME=Test&LASTNAME=Testerson&CVV2=123&EMAIL=testing%40mysite.com&STREET=111+Main+St&CITY=Omaha&STATE=NE&ZIP=68112&COUNTRYCODE=US&CURRENCYCODE=USD

Response Example:
    TIMESTAMP = 2009-11-02T19:51:47Z
    CORRELATIONID = a38fe97c13cde
    ACK = Success
    VERSION = 53.0
    BUILD = 1093451
    AMT = 10.00
    CURRENCYCODE = USD

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Leslie

I hope you are well today.

Thank you for the additional information, I've been talking about this with a colleague and we both agree with what the issue is here.

As you've had success with sandbox calls, the problem is all down to because the app is conditionally approved, when a app is conditionally approved it can't be used in live transactions, so I'm not quite sure why PayPal is telling you different, are you talking to one person at PayPal or multiple?
    To get the Raw IPN data, log in to your paypal account, history > IPN history > click on the message ID.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Leslie

Ok, I will contact them again. I have checked my IPN history and there is nothing there as no calls have been made I assume. I applied for my credentials on March 12th. I have heard it can take at least 3 weeks or more to go from conditionally approved to approved. I wish they would have let me know this when I talked with them. Like I said, I talked with 2 different people there and had a ticket opened and they assured me , my credentials were fine and should work. I'll let you know as soon as I find out so you can close this ticket. Thanks for all your help.
    Leslie

• Leslie

Jack,
    Take a look at this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

If you notice the screen shots of the approved applications about half way down the thread, It looks to be conditionally approved and this is the exact type of email I received from paypal. I will check with them tonight but I am pretty sure my "conditionally approved" credentials are all I'm going to get and what everybody gets. I may be wrong and will talk to them again tonight to sort it out so we can know for sure what "conditionally" approved means for other users.

• Leslie

Hi Jack,

talked with paypal tonight. They said that conditionally approved will work. It's all everyone gets. He checked my application and made sure that I applied for the permissions I need which is chained payments and all was correct. He asked again for that RAW Data I shared earlier in this thread. That cannot be found in the IPN history of the paypal account as that is only data after a payment goes through and since I am not able to connect to paypal, there is no payment being made. He suggested I contact my host because the data is on the server. I did that already: still waiting for that info. He also told me that I am allowed to apply for a new application and have multiple applications going at the same time. I was asking because I am so frustrated, I want to just start over with a new app.

One more thing: I tried to recreate my successful sandbox purchases from a couple of months ago and I got the same errors as with live. As some people may have seen, x.com is changing over to a new site or look or something. The sandbox is different and I had to import my old data to the new place. I'ts all weird in the new sandbox area with the site redirecting me to a log in after I enter the sandbox even though I'm already logged in. It's a strange loop back and forth. I created new sandbox users and still was unsuccessful with a test purchase. This is also making me want to just start all over with a new business account and a new app.

However, I'm not convinced this is a paypal issue. Are you sure there isn't anything else to be looked at on my site that could be the culprit? Thanks
    I hope our discussion will help others clear up some paypal issues. I also hope we can solve it and finally close this thread. I am sure you are worn out with this. sorry

• Leslie

Yippee! I may have found the solution to my mystery. Just received an email from my host that after investigating, it appears that AT&T was blocking the paypal calls from the server my site is hosted on. They are in the process of moving me to a different server while they investigate the issue. If all goes well, I'll let you know and you can close this thread. Should know by Monday or Tuesday.
    Thanks for bearing with me on this.
    Leslie

• Leslie

Ok: still not working but making progress.
    I'm on a new server that is now connecting to paypal but I am now receiving these errors: Here is the message back from my host support person.

I took a look at the server and it looks like the server you
    are on is currently not being blocked by AT&T to paypal:

bash-4.1$ curl https://api-3t.paypal.com/nvp
    ACK=Failure&L_ERRORCODE0=81002&L_SHORTMESSAGE0=Unspecified%20Method&L_LONGMESSAGE0=Method%20Specified%20is%20not%20Supported&L_SEVERITYCODE0=Error

This indicates that paypal is reachable. I took a look at the logs for
    the domain, and however do see this error here:

[Mon Apr 08 06:45:00 2013] [error] [client 66.203.36.3] Request exceeded
    the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error.
    Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use
    'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer:
    http://ecraftandshare.com/wp-admin/
    [Mon Apr 08 06:45:00 2013] [error] [client 66.203.36.3] Request exceeded
    http://ecraftandshare.com/wp-admin/
    [Mon Apr 08 06:45:41 2013] [error] [client 66.203.36.3] Request exceeded
    http://ecraftandshare.com/harmon/wp-content/plugins/marketpress-frontend/css/load-styles.css?ver=3.5.1
    [Mon Apr 08 06:45:41 2013] [error] [client 66.203.36.3] Request exceeded
    http://ecraftandshare.com/harmon/wp-content/plugins/marketpress-frontend/css/load-styles.css?ver=3.5.1
    [Mon Apr 08 06:45:50 2013] [error] [client 66.203.36.3] Request exceeded

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

• Leslie

Paypal issue resolved. It's working. I fixed a problem yesterday with some conflicting plugins. I was using profile builder and it was creating a warning on my signup page. I deactivated it and the warning disappeared. I reactivated it again but not on the mainsite where I don't need it anyway, but only on my store template sites. The warning disappeared and today I can connect to paypal. There must have been some conflicting redirections between frontend marketpress and profile builder. I hope my problems during this thread will help others with similar issues. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.