PayPal Express Checkout Errors

API settings in place. ‘Live’ mode selected.

Seems that after first try upon re-saving API settings, I get a white screen with ‘you need to have at least one layout’ on it, top left hand corner.

If I back up and click my Continue Checkout button again, I get “There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again” in a pink box on my Checkout page.

Seems to have become broken since the upgrade to latest version. Saw one advice to downgrade the plugin, tried that with no change. Going to put it back to latest shortly.

Spent hours on WPMU reading related threads, but when I get the PayPal error in the pink box, I’m not getting error code numbers to research, just the message quoted above. Is there an error log somewhere else for the plugin?

Do we know how I can verify that PayPal is seeing my ‘live’ status? With MarketPress, do we only have to toggle this to ‘live,’ or do we have to make setting changes in PayPal also?

Upon initial installation, it worked, but sometime since, and with the plugin update in between, my client noticed that it stopped working.

I will have to bail on MP soon if I can’t resolve this.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@jodyrobi,

PayPal has made some changes to their API recently that have introduced some breaking changes. There’s also alot that’s changed with their new developers tools that have been released.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having this problem. Do you know if anything has changed on the PayPal side of things? Are you using the exact app credentials as before?

There might be a way to find out what error messages are happening specifically, but I’m not sure. I’ll get in touch with the developer on this one to see if he has any feedback here.

Best regards

• jodyrobi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

After becoming aware of the problem, I generated a new API series and put that into the MarketPress settings, just in case the old set was specific to sandbox or somehow otherwise gone bad. But, that’s all that’s change to my knowledge on the PayPal end.

• jodyrobi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

My problems might boil down to these questions:

To go ‘live’ with MP, is the only thing required that I toggle from SandBox to Live on the plugin’s settings screen, and I’m done?

Or, do I need to go through the whole ‘Register an App’ procedure then on PayPal at that point and wait 5 days for them to approve? I’d swear it was working without doing this, so I’m surprised if I do have to do it.

Didn’t have to do that to get the plugin running initially in SandBox. But, I see so many threads here about such errors being caused by the transition from SandBox to Live, and advice to confirm what the settings are without actual advice on how to do it. If it’s as simple as the toggle, I can find that, but I find locating anything relevant on PayPal to be nearly impossible.

Thank you!

• jodyrobi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Alexander.

Something changed or caught up at PayPal, and it just now upon another test started to at least get to the initial PP payment screen – further than I was getting.

While waiting for the further WPMU response, I went through the process of registering an application at PayPal, but I’m still not sure if that was the missing piece as it had no immediate effect and only started to work 24 hours later. Can someone confirm that registering the application is an absolute requirement with MarketPress to go live? (Kimberly’s documentation was very helpful in that process.)

After that, you can consider this issue self-resolved and closed.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @jodyrobi,

I’m sorry for the delay. Yes, it is indeed a requirement to have an application setup and approved by PayPal. Sandbox mode is available freely so developers can get websites prepared, but working with PayPal live actually interacts with a different system (although the same API) it’s far more secure and requires an approved application.

Best regards

• Aaron
    • CTO

First, are we talking about PayPal Express checkout or the Chained payments gateway? It seems just PayPal Express checkout.

To go ‘live’ with MP, is the only thing required that I toggle from SandBox to Live on the plugin’s settings screen, and I’m done?

No, you need to enter API keys from your live paypal account. That’s what most people forget to do.

Or, do I need to go through the whole ‘Register an App’ procedure then on PayPal at that point and wait 5 days for them to approve? I’d swear it was working without doing this, so I’m surprised if I do have to do it.

This is only applicable to the Chained payments gateway in multisite.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.