Paypal Express Free Subscription Option

Currently, I have three (3) access levels (and therefore subscriptions) on a site. Two are paid, one is free. The plugin works as expected for the paid accounts, however, when I try to sign up as a Free Account (free access level), the plugin will create the account but it does not assign the proper roles.

I’ve tried the suggestions found in this prior thread, and it doesn’t seem to be working properly.

Describing the problem further, when I sign up for a free account using the plugin, the user account is created and can be found in Membership > All Members. On the All Members page, I notice a Subscription and Membership Level is not set. If I manually set a subscription, the roles and rules work fine. It’s just that the plugin, on the front end, doesn’t auto assign the subscription upon sign up.

In addition, once a user signs up using PayPal (using the sandbox right now), are they supposed to be redirected back to the site logged in?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @amykcronin

I hope you are well today and thanks for your questions, sorry to hear of the issues your having here.

Can you confirm which payment gateways you have active please?

Are you using positive or negative rules?

Can I have a screenshot please of membership > options and membership > options > membership pages please?

In addition, once a user signs up using PayPal (using the sandbox right now), are they supposed to be redirected back to the site logged in?

On PayPal express they should be, but PayPal single payments gateway they wouldn’t be.

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• amykcronin
    • New Recruit

Thanks for the quick response Jack.

Can you confirm which payment gateways you have active please?

See Membership Gateways

Are you using positive or negative rules?

See Positive / Negative Rules for Free Access Level

Yes, I’m using negative rules for the Free subscription and access level. If I manually set the subscription in Membership > All Members > Member, the roles and access levels work correctly. As mentioned, when signing up for the free subscription on the front end, the new user isn’t assigned “any” subscription (paid or free) – which treats the new user as a visitor (not signed in essentially).

Can I have a screenshot please of membership > options and membership > options > membership pages please?

See Membership Pages

I’ve also attached files to this reply just in case you don’t want to view pictures I’ve hosted online (temporarily of course).

• amykcronin
    • New Recruit

Hey Jack,

Is there a way, while not using the advanced rules, to set a role/access level for individual subscription types?

Basically, when using only positive or negative rules, I don't see an option to set a specific role to the subscriber. See picture below.

I really need to be able to set a custom role per subscription type. The plugin seems to support it, and it works for my premium role – just not free.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.