PayPal Express Giving Error 10004 for Digital Products

Greetings :slight_smile:

WP MS V3.1.2

MarketPress V2.0.5

Having trouble with PayPal Express Error for Digital Products:

There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.

10004 - Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details. - You are not signed up to accept payment for digitally delivered goods.

This is on a live site in which everything works flawless until I go to checkout using the shopping cart with one product in it.

I have written to PayPal awaiting their answer and I have looked through several documents of theirs suggesting a different problem being in the coding - that it needs special coding for digital delivery:

https://www.x.com/thread/51541

I have tried API credentials of two different known to be working accounts and receive the same error. As a matter of fact one is our main business account with PayPal for over 11 years and has worked flawlessly with other software integrations.

In my message to PayPal I basically asked if it was really necessary to sign up for digitally delivered goods using express and if so where to sign up ..... of course no reply as to this moment.

Can anyone shed some light on any of this?

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Thank you Aaron for your input :slight_smile:

I have just moments ago received a response from PayPal in which they have assigned me what seems to be a special Merchant Technical Support Account.

However, once I completed registration of the account from the encoded link they sent me my original ticket was within the account assigned to a technician and marked as unresolved.

Therefore it is my opinion it is not as simple as turning something on within the account or they certainly would have done so - as I mentioned before I have been with them over a decade and my company has done thousands upon thousands of dollars of biz with them in that decade without issue.

However, for the benefit of the rest of WPMU Community ..... I will certainly post the answer when I get to the bottom of what the issue is all about :slight_smile:

Thanks again and have a great day :slight_smile: I'll be back ..... lol

• aecnu

OK ..... after research and getting information directly from PayPal this is in my opinion a horrible solution for Market Press for many reasons I am about to explain - though this has no reflection on the developers of Market Press considering they would have believed this was just another convenient PayPal Payment Solution and probably not have dug into it too much other then coding integration .....

I have been selling digital products via PayPal for over 11 years now and NEVER had to go through this garbage to get my money via PayPal and delivery of the product.

I realize this is a new feature of Market Press and obviously not well researched considering the True Nature of integrating PayPal with Express Checkout. My opinions and below facts are compiled from the actual PayPal site and the attached PayPal supplied PDF.

1) One must have a PayPal Business account to use it.
    2) If you already have a PayPal Business account - one must CONVERT their current account, which will VOID all the account holders previous scripts etc. to the Digital PayPal Account as stated directly by PayPal: "If you like what you see, convert to PayPal for Digital Goods (Express Checkout) today. Switch now and you'll get digital goods-specific information on your business setup pages." - Obviously I do NOT like what I see.
    3) If you have a PayPal Business Account but do not want to convert it you must create a new PayPal account, go through Business verification with a Bank Account NOT already associated with a PayPal account ..... blah blah blah
    4) There is no RATE reduction or rate advantage having a Digital Product PayPal Account.
    5) If I was dumb enough to convert my Business Account without reading through the PayPal Documentation to this - it would destroy my current payment acceptance methods, subscriptions, etc. and probably bankrupt my company when all other payment methods are rejected and discontinued - this is obviously totally unacceptable.

PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

Now at this point I followed the advice of Aaron "Note if it continues to give problems you can change the code in the gateway from "Digital" to "Physical".

Well this does not work in testing because now it says that the product is out of stock even though I tried it with inventory selected and 100 units and without inventory selected - no go.

http://javascriptsoftwaredownloads.org/

Is there a "Next" possible PayPal solution that works with an established PayPal account without conversion to PayPal Digital Product Account please? or without having to use a completely different solution?

• Aaron

Line 948 of the paypal express gateway file:

if ($data['download'])
    	$detailstr .= "&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_{$j}_ITEMCATEGORY$i=Digital";
    else
    	$detailstr .= "&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_{$j}_ITEMCATEGORY$i=Physical";

to
    $detailstr .= "&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_{$j}_ITEMCATEGORY$i=Physical";

This hasn't seemed to cause any problems for anyone else (including me in testing), and it shouldn't force a change in the account to Digital (5% fee + .05 cent transaction fee).

But as it appears it really has no use I'll change it in the next version.

• aecnu

and the plot thickens to success!

OK I made the change in the gateway portion of the script - still got the "out of stock" when trying to add it to the cart.

However, when I changed the store button from "add to cart" to "buy now" it works! At least all the way to getting payment via PayPal though I have yet to check for product delivery (I couldn't proceed at this moment because it is using my master PayPal account and I cannot pay myself .... lol .... my problem and I have another for testing this portion)

I will test this tomorrow :slight_smile:

With the "add to cart" button I still get out of stock but with "Buy Now" everything works flawlessly with the code change including the cart itself! Go Figure??? but it makes no difference to me which button - it works :slight_smile:

A sincere thank you Aaron for your patience and your very workable solution :slight_smile:

• aecnu

PS: with the regular PayPal account the payment is MAX 2.9% + 30 cents per transaction and because we do volume with PayPal we are paying 1.9% + 30 cents per transaction - which in almost any event with the product purchase price more then approx. 8 dollars is a better deal then 5% + 5 cents per transaction.

On my last transaction payment of $103.50 sent to me - I was charged $2.27 - under the numbers you gave me for the PayPal Digital Product Program it would have cost me $5.23 (PayPal rounds up) Of course is the majority of transactions are under $8 which ours are certainly not then ......

Saving Money is making Money!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.