PayPal Express not working with Price Table disabled and more...

Hey :slight_smile:

A few issues came up while testing Pro Sites 3.5:

unfortunatley PayPal Express is only reloading the page when Price Table is unchecked/disabled. I prefer using the "old" table i already styled - also because the price table is showing an "empty" item for the standard-free plan (like already described in another thread).

If i enable the new Price Table feature, PayPal (sandbox testing) works properly and i get redirectet to paypal.

There we have som more: After the PayPal page reload issue (like described above, price table disabled) it looks like the user owns a pro-site which expires at the same day. Reloading the checkout page, removes this again (only wanted to let you know). Seems to be nothing serious - Also nothing in the log about that.

#2:
If Price Tables are enabled, there is no coupon field.

#3:
I am not able to cancel subscription from the frontend (checkout page). After i reload or better revisit the checkout page, the subsription still remains. (doesn't matter if price tables are enabled or disabled).

Automails like "you have given a free Pro Site membership" arrive as HTML only.

Would be awesome if someone could take a look at all that and maybe try to recreate things :slight_smile:

For more questions, don't hesitate to ask me :slight_smile:

Best,
David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

I'm not able to reproduce issues #1-3, could you please enable Support Access to your Multisite, so that I can have a closer look at how you've got things set up here?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

On #4, out of the box, it's designed to send out emails as HTML emails, it was done that way to fix some formatting issues with currencies.

If you're really wanting to change it so that it sends out plain text emails though, you can go to line 1346 of:

/pro-sites/pro-sites.php

And change this:

$mail_headers = array( 'Content-Type: text/html' );

To this:

$mail_headers = array( 'Content-Type: text/plain' );

Please note though, that you'll need to note the changes made, as they'll be wiped out on an update to the plugin itself.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David!

Really sorry for the delay on this one, let's get crackin' here! :slight_smile:

I only have one 12 month plan. since the last update, this disappeared on the checkout page completely if price tables are disabled!

if i enable the 3 month payment, it appears again.

This is something that I can reproduce over on my own end, and have informed the developer of this.

On #3, would you have a test site on your network that I could check out for this?

Also, could you please re-enable Support Access to your site, so I can have a closer look at how you've got Pro Site set up on your Multisite?

On #4, what email client are you using to view these emails?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

Hey Michael,

i just enabled pricing tables to try the paypal express payment.

at first, this message came up on the checkout page:

Division by zero in /mypath/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/View/Front/Checkout.php on line 102

I think this happened because of the one and only 12 month plan.

I made a sandbox payment and got redirected to the checkout page after the payment was "done".
    Unfortunately no subscription was created. After resaving all pro site settings (paypal, currency, etc.) now i receive this message: "This transaction cannot be processed. The amount to be charged is zero."
    I guess this comes together with the error mentioned above.

okay, but if i select the plan and try to pay via paypal again, it "works"... but, again... no subscription is created.

sandbox payments are also not completed. Does this work in Live Mode? I don't know if this is normal.
    I also chose EURO in my Pro Sites Settings, all payments are made in $ :slight_frown:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bly6c23oflp2mz9/paypal_not_booked.jpg?dl=0
    this COULD already be resolved after i resaved all my settings - but i cannot check that, because payments are not proceeding any more.

Some references:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8546697/paypal-sandbox-transactions-are-not-shown
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7984864/why-is-doexpresscheckoutpayment-required-for-paypal

I know, this is a lot of stuff and information,
    feel free to ask me if you need further information!

Best,
    Dave

• MapSteps

Hey Umesh,

thank you so much!

I have Support Access enabled, maybe it would help if you take a look there?
    While i cannot create a paypal subscription right now (mentioned earlier), cancelling isn't working when pro site status is extended manually.

But it feels like it isn't related to the gateway.

If i cancel, it first look like it is cancelled. But after reloading the page, subscription still remains.

Best,
    David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David,

Could you try the temporary fix mentioned over here in this thread:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/after-the-latest-update-i-am-receiving-the-following-error?replies=2#post-908275

Or if you rather that I were to apply it, could you please send in the following for your site:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

UPDATE:

PayPal (sandbox) now redirects the user back to the checkout page and tells him the payment was done successfully, great! :slight_smile:

The Pro Site Status is also updated from free/no plan to my premium plan.

BUT: expiring date is the same as today (no subscription/term is created).
    AND: this is only "working" if pricing tables are enabled. if disabled, clicking the paypal button just reloads the page.

FURTHER: i set up pro sites to manage payments in euro - all payments are still converted to $

Cancelling still doesn't work. Revisting the checkout page still shows the (in my case) 1 day subscription.

I hope i could help with this explanation.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, Michael here!

No dates (since generally speaking, offering ETAs hasn't worked well in the past), but we've definitely been keeping busy as beavers on this, just checked in on the progress a bit ago. :slight_smile:

We'll let you know when it's out (and I've put a special note for this thread, so that it's not missed), but in the meantime, since you've been so patient here, I've granted an extra month of membership, no charge. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

Hey guys,

Here we are again :slight_smile:
    Just updated to the latest pro-sites version.

Welcome to Troubleshooting Round 2:

1) PayPal:

a) The amount to be charged is zero
    I always (or very often) receive "The amount to be charged is zero" message, wether pricing tables are on or off. Figured out that this isn't related to having only a 12 month plan (like i do). Same problem with offering 1, 3 and 12 months or only 3 and 12.

b) Extend Subscription
    After a successful papyal payment (happens if "The amount to be charged is zero" message didn't come up) lets say for 3 months and i will do another payment for the whole year -> paypal payment works, subscription doesn't extend!!!

c) € is still converted to $

Like on the picture on bottom in this reply:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-express-not-working-with-price-table-disabled-and-more#post-913374

I enabled Support-Access, so you can take a look at all that. Please make your tests on my "sample"-Page.

2) Cancel (paypal) subscriptions
    This is probably no bug, but why can accounts which are paypal-payed don't cancel their subscription? i only see something like: "send me the inovice again".

3) Cancel (manual payment) subscriptions
    Manual Payments can now be cancelled! This works fine. But if the user visits his "plans"-Page again, he can also cancel the subscription again. shouldn't this be hidden if the user already cancelled his subscription? :slight_smile:

Would be great if a developer could be flagged on this, unfortunatley the last fix didn't solve major issues for me and i still cannot accept paypal payments :slight_frown:

Best wishes,
    David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David,

a) The amount to be charged is zero
    I always (or very often) receive "The amount to be charged is zero" message, wether pricing tables are on or off. Figured out that this isn't related to having only a 12 month plan (like i do). Same problem with offering 1, 3 and 12 months or only 3 and 12.

On a new site that I've set up, if I make sure to select a plan first, I'm not having any issues with subscribing, can you see this if you try doing the same on your end?

It seems like if one hasn't selected the plan first, then that's where problems can ensue. However, regarding this:

b) Extend Subscription
    After a successful papyal payment (happens if "The amount to be charged is zero" message didn't come up) lets say for 3 months and i will do another payment for the whole year -> paypal payment works, subscription doesn't extend!!!

I'm not able to reproduce the error over on my own site right now when I try renewing a site (at any time), but I'm not certain that one is supposed to be able to extend the membership like this, that'd be something I'd want to consult the developer for.

This would be due to the way your PayPal account is configured, rather than an issue with Pro Sites itself, PayPal's doing a currency conversion presently (due to your account being set to USD), and showing you the result.

2) Cancel (paypal) subscriptions
    This is probably no bug, but why can accounts which are paypal-payed don't cancel their subscription? i only see something like: "send me the inovice again".

There should be a cancellation link, but I'm not even seeing the "send me the invoice again" link on your /pakete/ page, where are you seeing it?

3) Cancel (manual payment) subscriptions
    Manual Payments can now be cancelled! This works fine. But if the user visits his "plans"-Page again, he can also cancel the subscription again. shouldn't this be hidden if the user already cancelled his subscription? :slight_smile:

It should be, yes.

I'd say that with what's going on, we'll want to have a deeper look, could you please send in the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include cPanel login details (login address, username & password) - in case we need to check out the database at all
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

Hey @Michael,

thank you for taking a look at it :slight_smile:

On a new site that I've set up, if I make sure to select a plan first, I'm not having any issues with subscribing, can you see this if you try doing the same on your end?

I only tested this on my existing site ("sample" site in this case). I just registered a new site and the message didn't show up again! So this seems to work, i'll check if this remains on other existing sites :slight_smile:

I'm not able to reproduce the error over on my own site right now when I try renewing a site (at any time), but I'm not certain that one is supposed to be able to extend the membership like this, that'd be something I'd want to consult the developer for.

I just made a paypal-payment with my recently created account. Now if i try to subscribe AGAIN for the plan (you are absolutely right, why should somebody ever do this...) NOW the "This transaction cannot be processed. The amount to be charged is zero"-message appears after klicking the paypal express button. So i think this message is related to renewing a subscription. Like you mentioned, this is a thing users maybe should not be able to. Great that we figured this out! :slight_smile:

You are right! I'll check my paypal settings. Sorry for that!

There should be a cancellation link, but I'm not even seeing the "send me the invoice again" link on your /pakete/ page, where are you seeing it?

Unfortunatley there is no cancellation link in this case. You couldn't see the "send me the invoice again" link because i was setting this to display:none a few ours ago. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Michael!
    Best wishes,
    David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David,

Glad to see we're getting things sorted out here! :slight_smile:

In regards to this:

Maybe i'am doing something wrong, but my paypal (sandbox) accounts have euro as the standard currency. If i set it to "block other currencies", i cannot pay with paypal any more, so the $ is handed over by pro-sites, could that be?

The only place I saw inside of Pro Sites where USD was specified as a currency was the Stripe Gateway, which isn't presently being used (I've set up to user EUR as well though, just in case).

When you say:

but my paypal (sandbox) accounts have euro as the standard currency.

You mean that both the buyer & the facilitator sandbox accounts are set to use the same currency?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Inside of your facilitator sandbox account, if you were to go to:

My profile -> Settings to receive payments

What if you were to set "Allow incoming payments in an unsupported currency:" to "Yes, accept and convert in Euro."? Does that do the trick here?

At this point, it's not looking like anything that Pro Sites is causing, but rather, something with one of the PayPal accounts.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David,

Hmm... in this case, I'd want to reach out to PayPal about this, something doesn't add up here. I wasn't able to replicate this currency conversion before with my own test site, and my own test accounts, but for some reason, there's something about your situation that's different.

Hopefully they'll have some added insight as to what's going on here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

Hey @Miachel, Hey @Umesh

I think we need to go one step back.
    Now i found out that the

"This transaction cannot be processed. The amount to be charged is zero."
    PayPal message appears if the following happens:

Step 1.
    i sign up for a new site, make the paypal payment (everything, except the € - $ issue we are discussing works fine). Thats why i marked this as resolved some posts ago.

Step 2
    if i (or the client) cancel the plan and than wants to renew it for a second time (this would happen after the regular plan has expired - and if there's no paypal subscription), THEN the message comes up! the client isn't able to pay again via paypal.

Of course i selected the plan, before i tried to proceed the paypal payment :slight_smile:
    (image below)

--

I also found out, that the $ - € issue remains on my live paypal account. I just tested it with 1€. It was processed in $ again. I'll switch back to sandbox and send you my login @Umesh.

Another issue:
    If you do Step 1 & 2 and try to access your wp-admin, you will always be redirected to the main-sites checkout page. If i would have "signup on checkout" acitvated, there would appear a message/link like "Would you like to upgrade to a Pro-Site?" which brings you back to your wp-admin.

I think the redirect should be removed, or the link/message should be added to checkout page, if "signup on checkout" is inactive.

The problem is: the client isn't able to access the wp-admin any more. he always gets redirected to the main-sites checkout page and there's no link to tell pro sites "okay, i would like to go on with my free version".

i hope i was able to explain this issue :slight_smile:
    I also opened another thread for this yesterday and falsely marked it as resolved, because it hasn't ocurred on a new signup - only after step 1 & 2.

i'll send you further details via e-mail so you can easily recreate this on my site.

Best regards,
    David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David,

As Umesh will be looking into

On this:

Step 1.
    i sign up for a new site, make the paypal payment (everything, except the € - $ issue we are discussing works fine). Thats why i marked this as resolved some posts ago.

Step 2
    if i (or the client) cancel the plan and than wants to renew it for a second time (this would happen after the regular plan has expired - and if there's no paypal subscription), THEN the message comes up! the client isn't able to pay again via paypal.

Of course i selected the plan, before i tried to proceed the paypal payment :slight_smile:

I wasn't able to reproduce this over with an expired subsite of my own on my test Multisite network, but this site of yours does seem to have more than one quirk taking place...

On this:

Another issue:
    If you do Step 1 & 2 and try to access your wp-admin, you will always be redirected to the main-sites checkout page. If i would have "signup on checkout" acitvated, there would appear a message/link like "Would you like to upgrade to a Pro-Site?" which brings you back to your wp-admin.

I think the redirect should be removed, or the link/message should be added to checkout page, if "signup on checkout" is inactive.

The problem is: the client isn't able to access the wp-admin any more. he always gets redirected to the main-sites checkout page and there's no link to tell pro sites "okay, i would like to go on with my free version".

I do see what you mean on this one, and it's something that I can reproduce on my own test site, will the bug noted for the developer. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• MapSteps

Hey @Michael, hey @Umesh!

thx for the fix @Umesh! The "The amount to be charged is zero"-message has gone!
    Thank you for reporting the bug @Michael :slight_smile:

We are nearly there, aren't we? :slight_smile:
    I've already sent you my paypal sandbox credentails, maybe you could check for that paypal € - $ issue? I spent a few more hours on that these days without any success :slight_frown: It really feels like my settings would be ok. Don't know what else i could do.

Thx for your help guys!
    Best,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.