Paypal Gateway Problem - User Not Allowed

Hi:

I am almost there. Everything worked in sandbox mode and I am now trying to go live on my development site.

I got my API credentials, registered the application and received an API ID.

I can process simple donations without a problem.

However, when I try to process an advanced payment, I get the following error:

Your pledge of $1.00 is almost complete.
There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)550001 User is not allowed to perform this action.

I noticed that someone else had this problem, said he fixed it but did not say how.

I have triple checked all the emails, ids, etc. No extra spaces, periods, etc. that I can see.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Lapides

• jlapides2

Timothy:

I was on the phone with them this morning. They told me to ask whether your software was "integrated with PayPal Standard or PayPal Pro."

I am trying to use your plugin with a regular business account.

Their guess was that I had to get PayPal Business/Advanced to get your software to work but were not sure. There is also an account called PayPal Business/Pro but I am not sure how the account plans(products) relate to the integration modes I mention above. Sorry, but I did not know enough to ask this when I was on the phone. (See picture below)

There is yet another application process to get the Business/Advanced account.
    So please tell me what type of account you believe that I should have.

Again, I am assuming based on what they said this morning that if I apply for Business/Advanced and am approved, I will then get the type of integration your software was designed for which they think is Pro integration.

• Timothy Bowers

We don't integrate with Pro just yet.

It's just a normal verified Paypal business account:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/fundraising-with-wordpress-a-guide-for-nonprofits/

Setting up PayPal
    Fundraising integrates natively with PayPal standard processing. Anyone can set up a PayPal account and get started taking donations right away, provided PayPal is set up as a business account. PayPal business accounts are free to register and are one of the most widely used payment processors for nonprofits for several reasons:

I am trying to use your plugin with a regular business account.

Isn't that what you have? A verified business account?

Take care.

• jlapides2

Timothy:

I spent a while on the phone with PayPal this morning and think I may have identified the problem.

When I registered my site to obtain my App-ID, I did not select the particular adaptive payment service that WPMU-Fundraising is using because I do not know what you are using.

The options are: (1) basic payments, (2) chained payments, (3) pre-approvals.

In addition there are numerous other options that I am not sure how to fill out that were left either blank or with defaults. These could also be problems and I won't know until I try again.

They have advised me to reapply filling out the form correctly.

Please advise how you folks filled out the form (shown below) so that I can do exactly the same thing.

Thanks,

Jeff Lapides

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

It seems as if we now have a finger-pointing situation between you guys and PayPal.

No ones pointing fingers here, the error says your Paypal account doesn't have permission that's based on their error code given from Paypal 550001.

We have a tutorial here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

If you're wanting to do crowd funding then you will need to accept pre-approvals otherwise your members won't be able to set up a pre-approved payment on their account.

Thanks.

• jlapides2

Hi Timothy:

I am now attempting to fill out a new registration based on Kimberly's tutorial above but am unclear about a couple of things.

1. Under pre-approvals, she has checked 'subscriptions.' I am not sure if this is what your 'Fundraiser' plugin needs or whether she is just giving this as an example. I am not doing subscriptions with Fundraiser, only single one-time payments. I don't know what the difference between single and on-demand payment is or what FundRaiser uses. Please clarify what I check off for the Fundraiser plugin.

2. I assume 'Chained Payments' is only for Marketpress and not for FundRaiser. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I do often work most days. :slight_smile:

I've sought clarification on this from Kim (Document/Tutorial) and Cole (Developer of this plugin), It's the weekend so I probably won't hear back from them until tomorrow. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that before.

Personally I'd go for On-Demand, it makes more sense because crowd sourcing is an on-demand payment once the target is met. And Cole, back when this was launched also indicated this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-plugin-fundraising#post-211089

Anyway, once I hear back then I'll post an update for you if you don't mind waiting another day please.

Take care.

• jlapides2

Timothy:

Thanks for you message.

I hadn't heard from you so I resubmitted with one-time payment which was my best guess since I did not know what on-demand meant.

If you could let me know as soon as possible, I'll phone them and ask them to change it. I don't think I can change the submission on-line but I do now know how to get them on the phone.

Time is really of the essence. PayPal can take up to 15 days to get back so I would really like not to do this wrong again.

Jeff

• jlapides2

Hi:

I am going to post the response from PayPal below. I just spent a long time on the phone getting clarification on this. They can speak with you about all the issues and have provided me with a phone number which I will send if you contact me by email.

The person I spoke with is going to speak with their approval department about all of these questions which we dealt with in detail over the phone.

It seems that the biggest issue is #2.

As I understand this, its seems to be asking two questions. The first is for more detail from WPMU on exactly which API calls you are making. I, of course, don't know. The second is that they seem to be implying that they want the money to go to the eventual recipient of the funds, e.g. a scientist's institution in my case. I was told that they do not generally permit aggregation, that is, me collecting money and then disbursing it.

I am confused because it seems that the latter is what your plugin is designed to do. I would have thought that your other customers, and WPMU, would have dealt with this issue.

Hi and Thank You for your Submission,

Before we can proceed with our review, we have some questions for you:

1. In order to approve your app for live API usage, we will need to test the Preapproved payment flow against our Sandbox test environment. I have attempted to do so now, but it would appear that i require a password to enter your site?
    2. Can you confirm which Pay API you will use to debit the Preapproval agreements & that the Fundraisers will be the primary recipient of the funds (i.e. you are not collecting the funds on the fundraisers' behalf)?
    3. As Crowdfunding is a heavily regulated area, could you answer the following questions please. Your best guesses or estimates will suffice:
    a. Will the projects on your platform collect cross-border payments? Please specify the exact countries you expect to receive payments and projects from.
    b. Do Donors receive any reward or gain for donations? If so, can you give us examples of what these would be please (expected rewards and values would be fine)?
    c. What is the expected dollar amount per project?
    d. What is the maximum contribution allowed? Please note that PayPal would require a maximum contribution limit of $2,000.
    e. What will be the typical timeframe of the projects?
    f. With regard to the Number of Projects per fundraiser, Projects per fundraiser per year, Number of projects a donor can support at any one time & the Number of times a donor can support one project, could you give us your best guess on the expected values of these please?
    g. Do you have any internal processes for Anti Money Laundering monitoring or Project Vetting?
    h. What types of projects is your platform aimed at?

Thanks & Regards,
    Celine

Thanks,

Jeff

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

The tutorial should indeed have been On-Demand. @Kimberly has confirmed for me.

I was told that they do not generally permit aggregation, that is, me collecting money and then disbursing it.

What you're referring to there sounds like chained payments where a bulk payment comes in and it is then sent to any pre-declared parties.

This isn't distributing the funds, that part would still be something you handle manually either through PP or by withdrawing. I don't know you're purpose of this but in the case of charity you would naturally send that to them.

Thanks.

• jlapides2

Timothy:

Thanks. I have resubmitted based on this as well as additional questions they asked.

I have not dealt with the aggregation question. I think you and I have a semantic misunderstanding and I don't know what they meant by their comment.

I think you are talking about what the Fundraising plugin explicitly does and does not do. Sending the money to whomever it was raised for, I understand is not what the plugin does. I handle that manually.

I took what they meant by not doing aggregation to mean that they would not approve a business using PayPal to as PART of a process that aggregates and then distributes a payment. Perhaps I am wrong.

Do you have other customers who have been approved to do this?

Jeff

• Timothy Bowers

We have indeed have other customers who've been accepted and have been running donation/fundraiser sites like this.

We're use to have a showcase section for sites to demo on, when we changed design that wasn't brought over as a priority however we do plan to bring that back and when we do then customers using any of our plugins can once again be featured in there.

Of course if anyone does get rejected by Paypal then we'd want to hear just in case it's something which we need to adapt to.

Take care.

• apark9

Hi Jeff,

I believe I have encountered the same problem. My guess is that I filled the application inaccurately but for some reason i believed I could use the Live App immediately. That is when i started getting that (CODE)55001 error.

I wish they would just show us exactly how to fill out the application so that we can get it approved a little easier... It seems that this would be standardized by now given the plugin runs on the same Pay API structure regardless of the sites purpose...

Please let me know if you find a solution to this.

Andy

• Timothy Bowers

I wish they would just show us exactly how to fill out the application so that we can get it approved a little easier... It seems that this would be standardized by now given the plugin runs on the same Pay API structure regardless of the sites purpose...

The application process for Paypal isn't something we can control, you only need this extra step with Paypal if you are taking pre-approved payments.

If they pay you as they sponsor then it would just go through as a normal transaction.

Kim updated the tutorial to show on-demand:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

Perhaps the folks at WPMU can make sure this happens.

Sure, you could either provide a contact form to each other, or if you both wish then I'm happy to email both your addresses to each other. Let me know if you both want this

Take care.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

Hopefully it's all sorted now?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Thanks.

• jlapides2

Timothy:

Thanks for checking in. But believe it or not, it is still not resolved.

I had a number of back and forths with PayPal, have gone through one layer of review and am now going through another. I checked in with them a couple of days ago and they said they were trying to expedite it. There is no rhyme or reason to their process. They have told me that simple payments are OK, but they are still reviewing the advanced payments. Go figure.

I strongly recommend that you work with another payment processor and provide detailed documentation on their approval process.

I never figured that this would take months to get done.

You may close the post. I'll open a new one if I need additional tech support.

Best,

Jeff Lapides

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.