Paypal IPN

Hello, I checked the manual and could not see "IPN" mentioned anywhere. Does the plugin use IPN for paypal? If not, how does it know that the payment was made successfully?

I am using Paypal Express gateway for the plugin.

Many thanks

• BusinessOnlinePh

Hello, when a user goes to paypal, do they need to click on the link to return them to my site? What if they do not click on the link? Shouldnt there be instructions both for the user and for the admin so that they know what to do? It seems odd that the user has to click on so many things, I really do not see how this could work.
    First they need to click on the subscription plan they want, then they need to click on the subscription button and lastly they need to click on the return to merchant link?
    I could not see anything about this in the manual. Could you expand on exactly how the plugin works when it comes to paypal express payments. I am not sure if the IPN is used at all for this plugin.

• BusinessOnlinePh

@Timothy sorry, it confused me when you said "when the plugin sends them to make payment they should be returned which confirms payment from Paypal." as it seems to state that the user is returned which is how the payment is confirmed. Using the notify_url should (i assume) set the IPN address for that subscription.

I also assume I would not need to use the IPN method you referred to as the IPN address is within the message sent by the plugin to wordpress. But the problem is that when I have used subscription plugins in the past, the notify_url is used for the IPN to confirm the first payment. Future IPNs are sent out using the IPN address saved within the paypal settings.

No matter what the real case is, this seriously is something that you should have within the manual for this plugin. Nowhere in the manual does it mention "IPN" so I am still a bit lost as to how the plugin really works and it seems that you too may be a little bit lost with this based on previously supplied information. I mean no offence, I just want to get the real info so that I know.

Many thanks

• Barry

But the problem is that when I have used subscription plugins in the past, the notify_url is used for the IPN to confirm the first payment. Future IPNs are sent out using the IPN address saved within the paypal settings.

On my sites, it always hits the IPN that is sent when the subscription is set up, but then, if I've got multiple systems going to the same paypal account, then I don't have the IPN configured in paypals settings.

Nowhere in the manual does it mention "IPN" so I am still a bit lost as to how the plugin really works and it seems that you too may be a little bit lost with this based on previously supplied information. I mean no offence, I just want to get the real info so that I know.

In defence of TIm :slight_smile: The manual is primarily for the front end usage and interface of the system. Using the IPN is the safest way for PayPal transactions as it doesn't rely on the user having to click on the "Return to site" button to send back the transaction data.

• BusinessOnlinePh

In defence of TIm :slight_smile: The manual is primarily for the front end usage and interface of the system. Using the IPN is the safest way for PayPal transactions as it doesn't rely on the user having to click on the "Return to site" button to send back the transaction data.

I did not mean to offend Tim or any of your staff. Surely this should be in the manual. If it were, I would have never opened this ticket.

On my sites, it always hits the IPN that is sent when the subscription is set up, but then, if I've got multiple systems going to the same paypal account, then I don't have the IPN configured in paypals settings.

So do we actually know how the IPN works? Will it work if I have an address already in the IPN box in my paypal settings?
    After all this time (5 days), I still do not have an answer to the original question.
    Does anyone know if it will work if there is already an IPN address in my paypal settings? I find it very odd that no one seems to know.

• Timothy Bowers

I'm not offended. :slight_smile:

I was getting a new mag port and battery installed on my Mac yesterday so was offline most of the time.

I've put it on the todo list for the next version of the manual. I've trying to make some adjustments for the last month but we have been crazy busy here with higher loads on the forums and in email than normal.

So do we actually know how the IPN works? Will it work if I have an address already in the IPN box in my paypal settings?
    After all this time (5 days), I still do not have an answer to the original question.
    Does anyone know if it will work if there is already an IPN address in my paypal settings? I find it very odd that no one seems to know.

Yes it should work perfectly fine through notify_url which instructs where to return the IPN:

Paypals IPN should return the URL which confirms the subscription direct in Membership.

The same for our other plugins.

Membership when a payment is made uses the notify_url and Paypal will automatically reply to that notify_url.

I believe this is true of all of our plugins.

Here is some more information:

https://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_formbasics

PayPal posts HTML FORM variables to a program at a URL you specify. You can specify this URL either in your account profile or with the notify_url variable on each transaction. This post is the heart of IPN. Included in the notification is the payment information, such as the payer’s name and the amount paid. All possible variables in IPN posts are detailed in the Instant Payment Notification Guide. When your server receives a notification, it must process the incoming data.

Take care.

• BusinessOnlinePh

Then again, having said that this should be in the manual, it still wouldnt be read. We have loads of information that answers almost all the questions any customer could ask, yet over 90% of them do not read any of it and just open a ticket. It's infuriating, but for those who read, it should be within the manual. The manual at present, is massive and includes a lot of helpful information. Personally, I would prefer it as a web page so I can click around it instead of having to scroll. I know many others would want something different like a video. You can never win :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.