PayPal IPN is giving a 404 error and rerouting customer to subscription page

Hello!
OK, so I created a test subscription for $1 to be able to test the entire payment/subscription system.

The payment goes through, the money is deposited, but then the customer is re-routed to the subscription page.

The member profile account is created, but there is no subscription attached to it.

When I check my IPN history, I get these information:
Message ID2CF26138J7828222N

Date/time created9/9/2014 12:50 PDT

Original/ResentOriginal

Latest delivery attempt date/time9/9/2014 13:32 PDT

Notification URLhttp://blueridgeservices.com/paymentreturn/paypalexpress

HTTP response code 404

Delivery statusRetrying

No. of retries9

Transaction ID6FC548646X2609412

IPN typeTransaction made

transaction_subject=TEST&payment_date=12:49:49 Sep 09, 2014 PDT&txn_type=subscr_payment&subscr_id=I-FN80WHCSPHF3&last_name=Bolton&residence_country=US&item_name=TEST&payment_gross=1.00&mc_currency=USD&business=nancy@blueridgeservices.com&payment_type=instant&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&verify_sign=AgK7kBzdWpdOLCeVQSmVTeAuQk.bAtdBliNIqT8U2ZDptWGnt8QWBI.Q&payer_status=verified&payer_email=sarahbolton2003@yahoo.com&txn_id=6FC548646X2609412&receiver_email=nancy@blueridgeservices.com&first_name=Sarah Christine&payer_id=GE9DS23N2PRBW&receiver_id=U8J89QH8MBZ3S&item_number=4&payment_status=Completed&payment_fee=0.33&mc_fee=0.33&mc_gross=1.00&custom=1410292152:6:4:c5ef10c74a192af1d9f897e98549e766:0&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&ipn_track_id=3924b64784e03

I've tried changing the Permalinks (they were set to post not custom). I'm on the latest versions of Wordpress, Membership, etc.

Thank you for any help!

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Sarah, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Interestingly enough, I'm seeing that the IPN URL you mentioned is returning a 200 code for me (which means it was successful):

http://blueridgeservices.com/paymentreturn/paypalexpress

Could you try doing another test subscription, just to be sure? If it's still not working, could I have you try going through the flowchart mentioned on our Getting Support page, to see if that turns up anything:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Also, could you make sure that there isn't some odd typo in the IPN address you entered inside of PayPal?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Sarah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello Michael,
    Right after I posted this support request, I tried one last thing: I switched from PayPal Payments Standard Gateway to PayPal Single Payments Gateway. I had to change the IPN URL, of course, and for whatever reason, that seems to be working.

I also realized that I had failed to set a page for customers to be redirected to after finalizing payment.

I double-checked the URLs (when using the Standard Gateway) multiple times, so I don't think that was the problem. The Single Payment Gateway works for us, so I won't sweat it at this point.

Thank you for your help!

Sarah

• Sarah

Hm... actually, now that I'm doing a bit more digging, does PayPal Single Payment Gateway work for recurring subscriptions?

If not, then we are back to square one. Let me know, and if it doesn't, I'm going to have to move forward with troubleshooting the PayPal Standard Gateway.

• Sarah

I changed back to the PayPal Standard Gateway, and did a test payment. The payment went through, I got a 200 message in the IPN History in PayPal, but the member was not assigned to the appropriate subscription level, hence, they cannot access the restricted content.

Let me know if you need to take a look at my admin.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Sarah

Also, in PayPal, it says that the recurring payment was set-up, but then right after that, I see that the recurring payment expired.

It seems like there is some breakdown in the communication between your plug-in and PayPal.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.