PAYPAL PARTIAL REFUND CANCELS MEMBERSHIP

Hi,

When we give a customer a partial refund in PayPal Standard (they forgot to put in their coupon code), it cancels their paid membership. How do we control this automatically? If not automatically, how do we add them back as a member?
They show as Active in the Members List and in the Edit Member screen, but on the Edit Billing and Transaction Log screens as Inactive.
HERE is a link to the screenshots
Using Membership 2 and Events + for capturing sales.
thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Todd,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

According to the "Edit Member" screenshot, this member should currently have access to all the content protected with "Associate Membership" membership until Aug 31st 2017 even despite the payment was denied. Is that correct or they don't have access? I assume you have manually changed their membership status there, is that right?

As for the subscription being canceled. Coupon codes work on "Membership 2 Pro" side so they lower the price before the requested payment amount is submitted to PayPal. PayPal doesn't know about coupons then so if you refund any amount of a payment that created subscription PayPal (rightfully!) considers it a cancellation and sends such information to Membership 2 Pro which in turn cancels subscription.

That being said, that user should be able to pay again (create subscription) one their membership expires in order to renew. Another solution, the simplest one probably, would be to refund all the amount to the member, cancel their membership and ask them to re-subscribe using another coupon.

If I'm missing the point here or I misunderstood your question, please correct me and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mozaic

HI,

Keep in mind, we are talking about a partial refund from Paypal, not cancelling a membership.

According to the "Edit Member" screenshot, this member should currently have access to all the content protected with "Associate Membership" membership until Aug 31st 2017 even despite the payment was denied. Is that correct or they don't have access? I assume you have manually changed their membership status there, is that right?

No, we did NOT change their membership. Payment was NOT denied, it just shows up as such. It was refunded, but again we refunded only the $30.
    thx

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Todd,

Thank you for you replay!

Just to clarify one last thing from my previous post: you explained that you did not change anything about their membership so after all that member does or does not have access to the content? I'm asking of course about the "real" status and not what the Membership 2 Pro plugin shows - judging by the settings they should be able to access content but are they or not?

Let me know please and I'll investigate it further.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Todd,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

So the whole issue is in the Billing views and doesn't interfere with user's membership level. Thanks for clarifying this. I just passed out these info to our dev team and waiting for their response on how to proceed. Please keep in mind that their response times aren't as quick as ours here in support forums as they are dealing with multiple issues at the moment, I'll keep you posted on this though, as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.