Paypal "Payment Information" Not Working

The short version: When I try to check out using the Paypal Express checkout, it gives me a blank screen on the "Payment Information" screen. When I click "Continue Checkout" on the blank screen, it then displays "There was a problem connecting to PayPal. Please try again.
There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again."

The long version:
I'm using WP 3.2.1 and MarketPress version 2.2. I selected Paypal Express as the payment gateway and entered in the appropriate information including the requested API credentials. I left it in sandbox mode and gave it a test drive. It works fine up through the Shipping Address screen and when I click "Continue Checkout" it takes me to a blank "Payment Information" screen. That's when I get what is happening in the short version above. It leaves me with that error message. I switched to "Live" and got the same results.

I've integrated PayPal into other systems in the past, just not on Wordpress or with this plugin. Was hoping it was be simple enough, but I should know better by now! :slight_smile: Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chris

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Phil,

I do plan to upgrade to 3.3.x eventually, but just like it's said in the article and following comments, I prefer to wait until 3.3.1, especially since there are a plugin or 2 that I have that don't say they are compatible with 3.3 yet. Just want to cover my bases :slight_smile:

I'll try out MP v2.3.2 and let you know if that covers it. Thanks

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've updated everything and I'm still not connecting to PayPal. At this point, the only modifications I've made are CSS changes in my current Theme. I don't know if another plugin is causing this error or maybe it's something on Paypal's end? I've gotten the API credentials and entered them properly, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hoping to maybe get some more guidance here. Have a client waiting to launch his store and I can't get Paypal to communicate.

I've updated to WP 3.3 and MP 2.4.2, the latest of them all. Still nothing.

I installed the plugin on a separate wordpress site and got this error code:

There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.
    10002 - Security error - Security header is not valid

Some research brought up mostly ZenCart stuff about making sure the API creds are correct, and I did. I upgraded the paypal from premier to business and set up a proper sandbox account and did all that and still nothing.

I'm dead in the water here. Does anyone have any information that will help me get this up and running? The websites where you can see the issues are at: http://www.scubaozzydiving.com/store and http://www.millionayres.com/store.

Thanks.

• javi1024
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry, my bad... Still having the same problem... only the expres checkout works. If you are trying to build a multisite marketplace like me.. I think it cant be done sense the chained paypal feature just dont work.

Back to the blackboard I guess

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @cayres,

Can you answer Phil's original question here?

That error message would typically only show when the credentials are incorrect. Could you please double check that there's no extra space characters in the credentials and that you're using the credentials for the correct mode you're using (Live vs. Sandbox)?

And here's where you can get a set of Sandox credentials for testing your site:
    https://developer.paypal.com/

@jav1024, looks like you're being assisted on another thread. The process is more involved when setting up the chained payments.

Thanks!

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

No, just the free regular ole Paypal Business account.

I have my sandbox creds and my live creds and I've triple checked they are both entered correctly. The only thing I can think of is that I'm copy and pasting (as per the instructions from paypal) and that it's not liking that. I'll try entering them in manually when I get home and see what happens.

Any reason why I'm getting 2 Payment Information screens though? The first one is just the "Paypal Information" heading and the "Continue Checkout" button with no other info. When I click to continue it takes me to the error. I'm assuming it's blank because it isn't able to connect?

Thanks

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, I just manually entered the LIVE api credentials and still no go. Is it possible that there is something in another plugin that could be conflicting with the paypal code of this plugin?

I'd be happy to record myself going through all of this process and show you so you can see exactly what I'm doing.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@cayres, I noticed you posted two links with this error. Are you using a multi-site setup or are they separate single-site installations of WordPress?

If multisite, are you using anything in the network admin such as chained-gateway or global checkout?

Do you have any other gateways setup? If there's only one gateway, we shouldn't be seeing that 'continue shopping' page as it's normally just used for selecting a payment option when multiple exists.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Just trying to trackdown the issue here as I'm not able to replicate it (but can see it happening on your site)

Thanks!

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

They are 2 separate websites, not a multisite situation. As far as I know, there are no other gateways set up on either of the sites. I just thought about disabling all the plugins except marketpress and trying that way. If it works, I'll turn each one on at a time to see which one is breaking it.

EDIT: I disabled all plugins except for Marketpress and ran it and still nothing. I deduce then that it's not a conflict with any other plugin.

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, I went in and threw several other payment gateways in and went through the process of checking out. Now I see icons and radio buttons on the first payment info page, and even after a few seconds I saw a paypal icon. Of course none of them worked because I didn't set them up, but I saw something there. I removed all but the paypal and tried again and it went back to blank.

Is it supposed to show up if there isn't any other payment option?
    If there is only 1 gateway selected, is it possible to have that page skip, even if the icon actually did show up?

Any other thoughts on why paypal it isn't working in general, not just the icon?

• pro120
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Cayres
    I'm coming in a bit late into this convo, but have you tried clearing all your paypal cookies? sandbox.paypal & regular paypal? I was getting paypal express errors stating cookie headers too large etc. maybe this could be related.

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I cleared out the browser cookies (if that's what you mean) earlier today while testing things to no avail. It's very frustrating that I can't get my sandbox or the live to work. I've tried it across 2 or 3 different computers now and 3 separate live credentials. I've done this process before on a completely different plugin on a different website with a different paypal account's credentials and I've gotten it to work fine.

• cayres
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Eureka! For some reason, I decided to try it again on my wifes website that I mentioned before (millionayres.com). I saw that my sandbox api credentials were wrong on there; I have no idea what happened but it was different, though with some similarities. Regardless, I updated the sandbox creds on her site and wouldn't you know it, it worked. So I put in the live creds from my clients paypal and BA-ZING! it worked!

I go through it all again on clients site and still nothing. I remembered that I had a "live" test site duplicate of my clients site on my website, so I loaded marketpress to that test site and gave a shot and wouldn't you know it worked!

I have come to the conclusion that the host server that my client is using is the source of the problem since I've now got it working properly on 2 separate websites on a HostGator account.

New question - does anyone know what would need to be changed on there to get it working? It's not a cpanel, which is the only one i've ever used, so I have no idea even where to begin...

Thanks for y'alls help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.