Paypal payments not being registered by Membership 2 Pro

Hi,

I've set up Paypal Standard Gateway the way specified, with the Merchant ID and I've set the IPN.

I completed a test payment with a different Paypal account, and the payment went through and set up a subscription in Paypal, but Membership 2 has not assigned an active membership and the payment is stuck at Pending.

I've checked my IPN History page and it just says that it's "Retrying" (tries twice) and that the IPN url is giving a 403 error which means that it's forbidden.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Thanks!

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Karen,

Hope you're well?

A 403 means that something on your site or server is blocking IPN callbacks and preventing Paypal IPN from communicating with your site.

Can you completely remove any Security plugins from your site & see if that works.

If that fails, then it's likely your webshost might be block paypal standard IPN returns, So you may need to speak with them and get them to check their firewall rules or mod_security rules.

Hope this helps

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

Thanks so much for such a helpful reply. I deactivated & deleted the security plugin, but that didn't change anything - still getting a 403 error.

Then I contacted HostGator, and they finally got back to me 8 days later which is I haven't followed up with this sooner. They said that they don't block Paypal IPN, but that they did fix the mod_security rules for us.

This didn't fix the problem. Paypal is still getting a 403 error when it sends the IPN ping.

Any further suggestions? Should I check my .htaccess file maybe? I'm wondering if the security plugin left some things behind in there that might be blocking the payment. Or is there something else specific I need to ask HostGator to change for me?

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.