PayPal Renew Button not showing up

I initially had solo payments set up - the renew button isn't showing up for members. I read that it does not work with Solo Payments so I activated the other PayPal option - "Standard Paypal" and put in the IPN into the paypal account. I changed the payment gateway for a test person to the standard paypal gateway and the renew button is still not present.

Need suggestions ASAP!

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @kipp,

What rules do you have for your subscription plans?

Are they finite or serial?

How many days have yo configured for renewals and upgrades in the Dashboard > membership > options > configuration page?

The renew button will not appear if the date is outside of that limit based on their expiration dates.

So if you have it set for 30 days, then they will not see the renew button unless it's within 30 days of the expiration date of their subscription.

Can you grant support access from the dashboard plugin?

Dashboard > wpmudev > support > support access

Hope this helps

• Kipp
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Are they finite or serial?

This ended up being the issue - I didn't understand from the manual that "Finite" would not give a renew button. It is confusing and references that it is a "PayPal Solo vs Express" issue. HOWEVER - for others to follow:

The solution was to set up the subscriptions as SERIAL not FINITE. I'm set to 30 day renewal limit, Paypal solo and the test worked.

Thanks!!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hiya @Kipp,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question, sorry about the delay on this.

I've just checked on my own site and here's what worked for me.

PayPal standard
    Upgrade period limit: 0
    Renewal period limit: 14

Membership type: finite, duration (14 days).

Use PayPal sandbox mode with sandbox credentials from https://developer.paypal.com/

Checkout for the membership and you should then see the renewal button on the account page.

It's important that the payment is actually completed via a gateway, rather than the gateway being manually changed.

Could you give that a try please? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Kipp
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

OK - I can set those settings.

The part that I keep getting tripped up on is that this is for a group that ALREADY existed (for like 40 years). The have already paid for a subscription (presumably last year) and we are converting to use Membership. So I added them, moved them from Admin Gateway to Paypal (I'll use the standard) and updated the expirydate.

Are you saying that now that I've added them - once they expire and THEN renew the renewal button will show for NEXT year?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @kipp,

Yes, until they next resubscribe to paypal itself & pay, they won't see the renew subscription because currently they don't actually have a valid subscription with paypal for membership. once they have expired and then resubscribed using the paypal gateway, it will be fine for the next renewal date.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.