Paypal Reporting IPN Setting Error

So, I was working on a rebuild of a site that uses the membership plugin, accessing it via the server IP address. While testing I used the IP address in the URL for the Paypal IPN settings. When I went live I changed the setting in the PayPal dashboard the use the ful domain name. All seemed well, until I got the following email from PayPal:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://00.00.00.000/~website/paymentreturn/paypalexpress
http://www.website.co.uk/paymentreturn/paypalexpress/

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider
with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

I asked PayPal if they could advise further and they have confirmed that the URL with the full domain name has been entered into their dashboard correctly, and that the reference to the IP must be within the script itself.

So I'm turning to you, is there anywhere within the plugin this data might be stored?

Thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @ks-webdesigner, I hope you're well today!

I can't see any reference to an IP in the plugin's code...
    Can you please verify that it's not used in your wp-config.php file anywhere, or your .htaccess file, or is entered as your site's URL on Dashboard => Settings => General ?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Sanders Web Works
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I can confirm that the IP address doesn't appear in any of the locations you specified.

I have done a quick search of the DB (as the IP address is one only I would have entered, and I know I didn't type it directly into any static files) and there are references to it in the following tables:
    - wp_options
    - wp_postmeta
    - wp_posts

Would any of these be causing the problem do you think?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ks,

Hope you're doing well today!

From what I understand, whenever a payment profile(recurring payment) is setup within PayPal it saves the IPN that it used for the first payment. So there is a chance here that you received that payment because one of your test subscriptions tried to renew and got rejected.

To avoid that you should be able to write a re-direct rule in your .htaccess file. Or remove cancel those test subscriptions.

Are your new Memberships getting setup correctly? Any further error emails from PayPal?

Look forward to hearing back!

Have a great rest of your week.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ks,

Thanks for getting to me :slight_smile:

Yeah, so when it tries to send the notification of a new months payment, it is still using the old IPN, which is causing the error.

For .htaccess you could try adding a 301 like this:

Redirect 301 /~website/paymentreturn/paypalexpress http://www.website.co.uk/paymentreturn/paypalexpress/

Let me know if you still get any errors after adding that :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Have a great rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.