PayPal Sandbox not processing - (CODE)580022 - maxAmountPerPayment must be greater than zero

PayPal walked me through setting up Sandbox API credentials today, and when I try to support a fundraiser with $600 in a test transaction I get this error:

Your pledge of $0 is almost complete.
There was an unknown problem processing your payment.
There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)580022 Invalid request parameter: maxAmountPerPayment must be greater than zero

Prior to calling PayPal back for help, I temporarily removed all custom CSS from the entire site, disabled all other plugins, and restored the Fundraising Plugin to bone-stock.

PayPal merchant services doesn't show any attempted transactions, and says that likely my site is not sending all the required preapproval fields in accordance with https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/documentation-tools/api/preapproval-api-operation.

The fundraiser I am testing with is configured as Crowdfunding with a $3600 Goal, $600 Rewards, and set to checkout directly from the panel (have also tried the elaborate checkout page with same results).

My Fundraising Plugin settings themselves are:

Currency: USD
Show decimal in prices: off
Simple donations: off
Advanced crowdfunding: on
PayPal mode: Sandbox
PayPal email address: populated
API Username, password, signature: populated
Application ID: APP-80W284485P519543T (PayPal Sandbox. Have also tried while this field was empty with same results.)

I have tried with per-user checkout types both enabled and disabled, with same results, but prefer it enabled.

Yikes -- please, help. Today is my first day trying to play nice with PayPal and I'm sure some of you may identify the problem readily.

Danny

• dannyo

Updates, but no resolution yet:

- Still does not work in non-crowdfund mode.

- Contacted hosting provider who checked for errors on the server, etc, and found two SQL errors at the time I was attempting to communicate with PayPal, but the error did not reoccur each time I attempted. Any thoughts or help?

Here is the error from the Mysql_query_log:
    # Fri Aug 24 16:20:18 2012
    # Query_time: 4.851500 Lock_time: 0.000050 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 1
    use *dbasename*;
    SET timestamp=1345846818;
    DELETE FROM lphgld6_options WHERE option_name = 'rewrite_rules'

# Fri Aug 24 16:24:14 2012
    # Query_time: 1.386320 Lock_time: 0.000091 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 1
    use *dbasename*;
    SET timestamp=1345847054;
    UPDATE lphgld6_options SET option_value = '1345847353' WHERE option_name = '_site_transient_timeout_wpmudev_local_projects'

• aecnu

Greetings dannyo,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is appreciated though I am not in the least surprised.

Earlier when I seen your ticket I did not answer it because I knew right then and there it was going to be a waste of time fighting with PayPal's sandbox, that letting you know that PayPal's sandbox is erratic at best, and how you can go live and find that you will get a much different reaction from PayPal.

I expected when I told you this that you will not believe me and now that you are experiencing it first hand I suppose your going to claim that it is the plugin mysteriously changing its settings or communications with PayPal and I have to be wrong, that it cannot be PayPal?

That is why I did not answer the ticket to begin with. I already knew the answer though I do admit I may be surprised that I may have not predicted your reply, but I am explaining it now and I am suggesting that you go live and do your testing with smaller amounts of currency.

Because what you will also find as many others in these forums have found, is when you go from sandbox to live that things do not seem to work the same as well and that the sandbox is indeed erratic. This is why I always tell folks to test in live mode.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• dannyo

Joe,

More importantly than the topic of PayPal's Sandbox, it seems I may have somehow insulted you; clearly, you are very passionate about the development process of these plugins and may indeed have the level of expertise that eventually I will too.

Thank you for elaborating about PayPal's Sandbox. I'll hold tight until they approve my live credentials.

Overall, I am pleased to have good communication going on a variety of topics pertaining to the plugins here and that maybe down the road someone can read it all as a good reference.

Thanks again!

• aecnu

Greetings dannyo,

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts, they are truly appreciated.

I was not insulted, you have been kind all along and it is appreciated.

I apologize that I may have made an assumption to as what your reaction would be when I told the truth about PayPal's Sandbox.

I have been with PayPal since 1998 and I love them and the services they provide to me and my companies. Actually they have gotten much better in the last several years, at first they did not even have a way to call them ... lol

But their sandbox has always been kind of crazy and thank goodness their Live has worked for the most part flawlessly all these years.

No you did not insult me and maybe I went too far trying not to insult you or PayPal but tell you the truth about the sandbox at the same time.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Sincerely, Joe

PS: Good luck with that PayPal approval!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.