PayPal Subscriptions Canceling of their own accord

This is rather disconcerting as it happened previously with the Stripe payment gateway. I decided to use PayPal since your support for it seems better.

Basically, I started with a free trial, manually extended it, then signed in as the customer and upgraded the subscription to a higher level plan. The upgrade went well. I then tested a change of term, which also worked. I then downgraded the plan, which also worked. All of this within about 30 minutes.

I had some dinner and came back, and the subscription had canceled itself. The two last log entries for the site in question are (last one comes second):

-- User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: New subscription created (Standard Plan: $24 USD each month), first payment will be made on June 24, 2013 - I-HBM2EYV5USRE
-- User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: Old subscription canceled - I-D479FF8XL8RM

I'm testing in PayPal Sandbox mode but doubt that's an issue -- shouldn't sandbox mode be a mirror image of live mode?

So it looks like the old sub was canceled, but the new sub has yet to be activated...? Clearly this is a problem, since there is an unexplained gap in the customer's ability to access their site.

Can anyone explain why this happened?

• PC

Hello Ryan,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Can you please check if the IPN is working properly ?

What all modules have you got enabled ?

Can you please give me a link to the site so that I can signup for a pro site on your network and try to make a payment to see if that works fine ?

Generally these issues occur when there is a Problem with IPN as if PayPal does not notify Prosites that the payment has been made, it will remove the pro status of the site.

Please advise so that I can help test accordingly.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• ryan_burney

Hey PC,

Thanks for getting back. I didn't want to respond too prematurely so I tested more. I think the problem is resolved, and was related to testing with users that had been manually activated. When signing up new users, the test gateway through PayPal has, so far, been working exactly as expected.

However, now I have a new problem. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not, so let me know.

Earlier today this was not an issue, and I don't know what I did, if anything, to cause this to start happening. I am now unable to upgrade or modify the plan in any way. When clicking the "Pro Sites" button in the admin bar, I am taken to a screen that says "Sorry, but you do not have permission to upgrade this site. Only the site administrator can upgrade their site."

I am signed in as the administrator of the site I want to modify, so what the heck? Going to Network Admin > Sites I can verify that there are users for the sites in question, and that those users are the administrators of their respective sites.

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back.

Earlier today this was not an issue, and I don't know what I did, if anything, to cause this to start happening. I am now unable to upgrade or modify the plan in any way. When clicking the "Pro Sites" button in the admin bar, I am taken to a screen that says "Sorry, but you do not have permission to upgrade this site. Only the site administrator can upgrade their site."

I am signed in as the administrator of the site I want to modify, so what the heck? Going to Network Admin > Sites I can verify that there are users for the sites in question, and that those users are the administrators of their respective sites.

I will suggest you to create a new thread regarding the issue as it might be related to a different reason. Perhaps some issue with the settings.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.